StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, it was time for my bi-annual thorough bike detailing/oil change day...and it came out looking good. I thought I would do some gear reviews and modification reviews as I have a bunch of farkles on order.

Here's my bike the way she is now.

She's basically stock except for the LineX, the OEM centerstand, RR fork brace, the AlaskanLeather Butt Pad and self done seat mod, windshield self done mod, and Givi top case courtesy of Kapengary. Oh yeah, I also changed the blinkers on front.

TBC (cont.)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not everything that I've ordered has arrived yet, so I thought I would begin by reviewing my new ATX helmet from Atomic Moto, the Teknic Mesh Jacket from Motorcycle Superstore, and the CalSci Tinted Shorty Windshield. The Altrider Crash Bars have arrived, but not installed yet.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, this is the new Teknic Mesh Jacket and helmet.

And, here it is installed.

Analysis and write up on the next post.

TBC

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, up above I posted a picture of the Joe Rocket helmet I bought when I got my Wee two years ago. It's just a pure street bike helmet. After a couple years of riding, I decided I wanted a helmet with a visor.

Reading the threads here someone mentioned Atomic Moto. I checked them out and they had the AFX dual sport helmet on sale. I got it for just over a hundred bucks.

I was concerned that a dirt-bike style helmet wouldn't work out to well for the street. As it turns out....it works great.

The visor is a good thing. Much better than my other helmet without it. The wind buffeting issues I was concerned about are not a problem at all. In fact, it's the opposite. There was actually less buffeting with this new helmet.

AFX Helmet Review

The Pros - inexpensive, aerodynamic, quick release chin strap, visor, plus it's comfortable and lightweight. Also, I like to ride with visor up some...this helmet does that without always snapping back down. It sort of "locks" into place in several different positions.

The Cons - probably made in China, doesn't fit perfect. The nose bridge hits right at the end of my nose instead of a little higher up as it should. And it's not because the helmet's not sized right. It passes the shake test. Also, be careful taking the helmet off or it'll smash your ears up real good.

So, it's got some of the features of one of those expensive, four or five hundred dollar helmets for around a hundred bucks. I'm happy with it.

Also, in the picture above....you'll notice the MadMaps kit. I just picked it up today at the CycleGear outlet. It's a handy little kit that will take up almost no space in my top case, it comes with four maps of places out west I want to ride, and has space for other documents like insurance cards, etc.

It's made for riders, and has pre-analyzed routes all highlighted for you and has the mileage included. Fifty bucks.....worth every penny. Next post I'll review the jacket.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very nice, Guyver!!

Please let me know how the shorty CalSci windscreen works out for you!

And, are you considering any bash plates for those off-road adventures?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice, Guyver!!

Please let me know how the shorty CalSci windscreen works out for you!

And, are you considering any bash plates for those off-road adventures?
Thanks and yes. I've ordered the Altrider crashbars and SWMotech skid plate since the Altrider plate was on back order. When they come in, I'll do a write up on this thread. I don't think they'll work together out of the box...so I'll have to do some modifying to get them mounted.

As far as off-roading on the Wee....I don't go hardcore with it. I mean, I do ride it offroad, but not like a dirtbike. It's really just not made for that....IMO. When I'm offroad on the Wee, I just cruise, explore, and enjoy the scenery. If I want to get crazy, I bring my dirt bike; hahah.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I'll do the mesh jacket write up, and the CalSci Windscreen, and call it good until my other stuff comes in. I'm going with the Protaper ATV Hi Bars, like FarmerStrom did. Those are on order with some other stuff.

Teknic Mesh Jacket - Motorcycle Superstore - they were on sale a few weeks ago. Around $130.00. I picked up the jacket and the Icon Leather Mesh gloves as part of my summer gear upgrade.

I got the jacket in XL. I'm 6'0 and 200 pounds. Jacket fits perfect. Like the way it looks and feels. Comfortable. It does have the pads in the right places. The back protector is just like the other jackets you probably have or have seen...nothing fancy.

The main thing is that this is a WARM WEATHER JACKET!!! And that's what I wanted. I plan to do alot of riding this summer...and I'm sure I'll be in temperatures above 90 degrees. This jacket will work for that very nicely I think. I like that it's light in color so will reflect sunlight. It does have a waterproof liner.

What the jacket wont do is keep you warm when the temperature is below 60 degrees. That's my opinion anyway. I rode today in 60 degrees and was fine with the liner in. Any colder than that, or at night....I would have been reaching for a thermal. But, that's what the jacket is made for....the heat. So for that reason I think I'll be real happy with it. I already like it alot.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still waiting for the Madstad bracket to arrive....but my CalSci shorty came in and I thought I would test it out. So, I pulled my stocker and installed the tinted shorty. Interesting, the CalSci shorty is actually just a tad larger that the stock shield that comes with the Wee.

So, my first ride impressions......LOVE IT!!!! I know the CalSci products are a little more expensive than other screens out there....but I think they're worth it. They sent a microfiber cleaning cloth...some cleaner, and a little CalSci Air pressure gauge as a little giftie with the shield. That was nice.

I must say that today was an EXTREMELY WINDY day around here. So, this probably wasn't the best day to test it...but I did anyway. Here's what I found out.

With my previous set up, I had severe buffeting issues at around 75 mph. Those buffeting issues continued as the speeds increased and sometimes it was brutal.

With the new CalSci set up, I didn't have any buffeting at 75mph. At 85mph I began to notice a little of the buffeting. At speeds around 90-95 I was getting some buffeting but not as bad as before.

I took it up to around 110 for awhile and then backed it down. Repeated. Same results. The buffeting that I used to feel at 75 doesn't kick in until 95 now. And even then it's not that bad. I did tuck under the shield at around 100. It was just so windy today that I needed to slow down.

On a calm day I'll try it again. When I get the adjustable bracket, things should improve even more. In general I think I'll be real happy with this shield. I don't usually ride over 100 for any length of time, so it should be good.

The only negative I see is that you have to ditch the little decorative plastic pieces that come with the stock shield. I like the way those look. I'm sure I'll get used to the new look. I'll have to ditch the chrome bolts, and find some in black to go with the shield.

So, I'll write more about the shield after I try it with the madstad.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Thanks for the good info.

Teknic Mesh Jacket - The back protector is just like the other jackets you probably have or have seen...nothing fancy.
You can get a much better spine protector made by Knox or (maybe the best) SAS-TEC. We can't live without a head or a spine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks PTRider.

You know, I'm watching the 2011 tornado disaster show on Discovery right now. It has occured to me that here I am testing gear, farklizing and getting ready to ride, and many of our brothers in the Midwest are underwater or getting hammered by tornados.

So, I feel for all those people affected or endangered by that crazy weather and my heart goes out to them all. Best regards and talk soon.

PS. It has to really suck to not be able to ride, or even worse, to lose your bikes and other belongings to a flood or tornado.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Interesting touch with the Line-X. Why did you decide to do that? I like the idea of it, however with how bad it has faded on my truck bed I wonder what it will look like a year from now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting touch with the Line-X. Why did you decide to do that? I like the idea of it, however with how bad it has faded on my truck bed I wonder what it will look like a year from now.
I don't know what first gave me the idea for it....but it was the first thing I did after I bought the bike. I like the look of it and it does offer some protection. The bike was down once on pavement (real slow crash) and the linex totally protected it. You can't even tell it was down. Unless you look at the bent, then rebent brake lever.

As far as the looks go...it's two years old and still looks good. I do keep my bike garaged. The guys at linex told me that there is a product to re-hottenize the look but I don't remember what it was. I hit mine with my plastic and vinyl restorer like once a year or so and it seems fine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ever have one of those Monday's? Well, I had one today.

But, what was really cool is that after I got home from work the UPS guy came knocking on the door. More of my stuff arrived. So the only thing that's not arrived is my skid plate, grip puppies, and RDL saddle (that one will be awhile - waiting list).

I now have waiting to be installed....

Protaper ATV High Bars
OEM Handguards
Altrider Engine Guards
OEM air filter
OEM Clutch Lever
Madstad Bracket

Still awaiting....grip puppies, skid plate, and RDL saddle. Bike will be a little different next time I post up pictures.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That CalSci shorty looks great!! And when you add the Pro-Tapers, your mirrors will be further out on your bars, giving you a bit better view behind you and slightly less turbulence with the screen.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
I don't know what first gave me the idea for it....but it was the first thing I did after I bought the bike. I like the look of it and it does offer some protection. The bike was down once on pavement (real slow crash) and the linex totally protected it. You can't even tell it was down. Unless you look at the bent, then rebent brake lever.

As far as the looks go...it's two years old and still looks good. I do keep my bike garaged. The guys at linex told me that there is a product to re-hottenize the look but I don't remember what it was. I hit mine with my plastic and vinyl restorer like once a year or so and it seems fine.
I am liking this more and more. Ballpark cost?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to know FarmerStrom. As I held up the bars to eye-ball it...looks like the ATV high bars give me exactly what I wanted. About an inch higher, and an inch wider. The extra inch on each side for mirrors will be perfect.

Motox-Dan - the cost was negligible. Under 50 bucks if I remember correctly. The biggest hassle was taking off the fairing panels.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be installing my new stuff today.....except for the skid plate which still hasn't arrived yet. Already got the new air cleaner in place (the old one wasn't even that dirty after 11,000 miles?!)

So thats...Protaper handlebars
Handguards
Crash bars
Madstad bracket and Cal Sci Shield

Since I am not the world's best motorcycle mechanic....this should take about all day - haha. Hopefully I'll be able to do a ride and review of the new mods tonight.

Still, nice way to spend a saturday. Rocking the ipod and farklizing the Wee!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Help please!!!

Okay, so I pulled a fail today. Not an epic fail because in my book, it's not broken unless it can't be fixed.

I installed the ProTaper ATV Highbars on my Strom today. Problem is....I neglected to order a smaller sized bar end adapter kit to go with the bars. Called the shop; they don't have them. Now, with the Protapers; I'm installing OEM handguards too.

So, does anyone know what I need to fix this....fast? Farmerstrom used the barkbusters B27 kit for his ProTaper bars with barkbusters. Would that work for me?

Other problem....Twisted Throttle has them, but they're in RI; I'm in Cali. Going on a big camp and ride Friday after work. Would like to get this fixed now so that I don't have to switch back to the stock bars.

Suggestions? Help?

PS. IT'S MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!! I'm probably screwed; but I'd pay for the overnight on Tuesday and maybe that would work.

PSS. At least I pulled out the bar ends without unscrewing them all the way. Thanks Greywolf.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PSSS. It just occured to me...I wonder if a smaller nut on the stocker could squeeze in there in solve the problem? I'll try that.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope. That won't work. Even if I grinded down the washer part that's attached. Even the rubber housing on the tension part is too thick for the new bar diameter. Dang.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts