StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatdya think. 2014 with about 5k on the clock.

Nice givi panniers
Crash bars
Skid plate
Bark busters

Good shape. Garaged much of life. Under a cover recently. Just under $8k. I trust the seller as being a straight shooter. Nice younger guy. Still rides it which I like. Nothing miles a machine like sitting.

Would like to know your opinion as I'm pretty hot for it, but don't want to second guess when I cool off.

Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
As a starting point use kbb trade in values and add 30cents on the dollar for accessories IF you like them. Private retail is usually about 500-1000 over trade-in. Dont pay extra for stuff you wouldn't install. What he owes and what it's worth are 2 completely different numbers. Buy any vehicle without a large down payment and you end up under on the loan.

The 2018 are out and some dealers might still have 2015s. I'd negotiate a bit more. Does he have service records?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
If it has some things you like and want then buy it......price is fair.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
That's similar to mine and I'd like to get at least that for it if I wanted to sell. Only 5K and garaged is almost as good as new if it has been well maintained and hasn't been abused. If you like the color, even better. Might want to ask if the recall has been done...if not, just a little more hassle for you to take it in. I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I agree with G-dub. Check to be sure recalls have been done. Besides that, the bike is awesome.30000 miles on my 2014 with zero problems. Fast, reliable, do anything bike. Did not look up the value, but sounds reasonable to me. Good luck with your decision. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
For $150 more you can buy this one brand new brand new with a full warranty:

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Motorcycles Romney West Virginia 02455
Thats a good price, but a few thoughts...does anyone know what fees Romney charges in addition to taxes? If the OP isn't near them, just getting there and back could be a big expense and hassle. If the extras are something that is wanted and he would likely purchase eventually, that's a big chunk of change to buy those new. It's also possible he might be able to use that ad as bargaining leverage for the used bike.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Romney does not charge hidden fee's like dealer prep or destination. Whatever the price is on the internet is what you pay. Also there is no haggling and with their price you don't need to.

For about $600 you can ship a motorcycle anywhere in the USA.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow, that's news. I've never heard of a dealership not charging freight and prep.

I got my 2014 under the same situation. $7999 sticker, and after taxes and fees I was in the low 9k's.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I paid $7450 OTD for my new leftover 2014 DL1000 last October from a huge dealer.

It should be immaculate for that price rather than good - no dings or scratches - even with FARKLE's IMO.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Here is what you should look at:

Based on this I would hold to $7k max if excellent shape.
https://www.cycletrader.com/V-STROM...OM 1000 ABS&sort=price:asc&radius=150&page=1&
Second that. It's 3 years old now. I just bought a 2014, but with more miles and not perfect for less than 6k.

There will be more coming on the market now when the "new bike" itch is getting to bad for some. So patience is likely to be rewarded for another month or two. The v-strom resale values really stink, bad for the seller, but good for the buyer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I guess opinions differ a bit regarding the deal. I will say that it is blemish free. It also has an aftermarket exhaust a GPS. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but it sounded nice.

What I see after looking at Craigslist and cycle trader for at least a month, is that this is a fair deal, not great. I can live with that because not too many seem to be showing up here in NJ.

I did call Romney's and it's kinda BS because that bike is sold. Yet still listed. I think there was another I called on same thing....Just sold it. Car guys do that too. I have read good things about Romney so I'm not trying to say much bad.

But even if I paid just under $7k I would still want those givi panniers and they are every bit of$1k. There's not much in the way of deals in this area. It's all VA, MD etc. Here everyone buys HD or sport bikes it seems. I'm no expert.

So we'll see. I'm going to spend a few bucks first and ask the seller to take it to a local dealer for a service and inspection and see if they agree that it's pristine. In truth 5,000 miles might as well be 5 unless he beat it up. A new warranty would have some value.

This is why part of me is tempted to head to a dealer and buy a 2018. But all said and done your approaching twice the money.

I would rather have black, but I think I like khaki better than red. It's growing on me.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The bottom line is whether you're happy with the bike and the price. After you buy, there will always be a (seemingly) better deal out there somewhere. I got a screaming good deal on mine new, but occasionally someone claims a better price. You never really know all the details, though, and I'm happy with mine, so that's what is important. The khaki grew on me, too - I like that it is not a common color. And after I put Tech Spec tank pads on, there isn't that much showing anyway. I do think it helped the looks to paint the rear rack and those silver trim bits above the tank with a satin black paint. Good luck.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts