StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Administrator
13,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I want to say I have nothing against firearms in any way shape or form (unless they are pointed at me.) I have had rifle training in the far past and grew up around guns. I appreciate fine machinery and love the action of a nice bolt action. I am comfortable with them although they aren't my thing. I live in Canada so firearms (handguns in particular) are not a normal part of our daily existance. I know we have a higher percentage of firearms in Canada than in the USA but these are almost all for hunting or target practice.

I notice so many of you carry guns... it seems almost every conversation about what to carry on a bike changes to a gun converstaion.

So my question is why do you carry a gun? What do you hope to achieve with having it while riding and have you ever used it? if so, what was the situation and how did it help?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
856 Posts
i don't carry personally. Mostly because where i work now, and where i will be starting soon are both colleges, and i couldn't even if i wanted to. That said, two things to consider are firstly, for many, it affords peace of mind. Same reason many people go ATGATT, "just in case". Secondly, the strom tends to, in my opinion, attract people looking for utility. people looking for utility tend to favor preparidness, and beign able to defend yourself falls into that.

Consider too that i'm betting that there are a lot more people that conceal carry around than you realize.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
It's like having insurance on my car, home or bike. Hope never to need to use it in my lifetime, but want it if I do. Thats reason enough for me.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
This thread will go to hell, like they always do. Why Canadians can't wrap their heads around this always amazes me.

I've articulated it well enough on the last threads, but I'll just say that I've experienced the helplessness and terror of violent crime...without a means to repel it. I see a gun as the tool of the most dire extreme. Chances you'll need one? Probably not that great, statistically, but then you're more likely to encounter violent crime than a house fire, yet no one seems to politicize or get scared thinking about a fire extinguisher.

The truth is you probably can live your life without needing a gun to live through a violent encounter. But, if you do need one? It's the only tool left, and you won't thank yourself for being unprepared or disarmed.

I can assure you of that.

Carry, don't carry, have a political pants-pissing if it bothers you that others choose to, I don't really care anymore, but nothing anyone will say or do will change the reality that there are people out there who will end your life for the contents of your wallet and will feel nothing doing it. I've seen a person like that, up close and personal...and I'm not a warrior with ninja skills, I can't fight off someone who's hardened, strong, and half my age. A gun represents the best tool to bring the fight to a stop, quickly and without injury to myself.

With the spread of meth, people like that are no longer constrained to the bad parts of town. They're in the country, and the suburbs, and outside of that restaurant you just stopped at on your bike.

I plan on meeting another person like that in my lifetime and returning home to my wife and child. If I'm wrong? I carried a gun and it sat idly at my side, peacefully...which is not a waste. I'll be happy if that's the case.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I carry mine because my wife gets pissed if she can not count on me for backup and cover fire.

I'm partial to jaming a S&W MP9c in my tank bag or on my hip. I also promote and practice open carry here in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This thread will go to hell, like they always do. Why Canadians can't wrap their heads around this always amazes me.

I've articulated it well enough on the last threads, but I'll just say that I've experienced the helplessness and terror of violent crime...without a means to repel it. I see a gun as the tool of the most dire extreme. Chances you'll need one? Probably not that great, statistically, but then you're more likely to encounter violent crime than a house fire, yet no one seems to politicize or get scared thinking about a fire extinguisher.

The truth is you probably can live your life without needing a gun to live through a violent encounter. But, if you do need one? It's the only tool left, and you won't thank yourself for being unprepared or disarmed.I can assure you of that.

Carry, don't carry, have a political pants-pissing if it bothers you that others choose to, I don't really care anymore, but nothing anyone will say or do will change the reality that there are people out there who will end your life for the contents of your wallet and will feel nothing doing it. I've seen a person like that, up close and personal...and I'm not a warrior with ninja skills, I can't fight off someone who's hardened, strong, and half my age. A gun represents the best tool to bring the fight to a stop, quickly and without injury to myself.

With the spread of meth, people like that are no longer constrained to the bad parts of town. They're in the country, and the suburbs, and outside of that restaurant you just stopped at on your bike.

I plan on meeting another person like that in my lifetime and returning home to my wife and child. If I'm wrong? I carried a gun and it sat idly at my side, peacefully...which is not a waste. I'll be happy if that's the case.
Excellent post. I bolded what I thought were the best points. They are why I always carry AT LEAST one gun.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I don't carry a gun and never have except in the military. It is one of those personal choice things. Depends on where you live,work or ride. Those not from the USA I suspect have trouble understanding that guns have been a part of the American culture since its inception.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Our founding fathers apparently though it was so important that they included it as our 2nd amendment. I refuse to become a helpless victim. That said, after decades of carrying one, I have not had to use it. If I have a choice, I hope I never have to.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I used to be a Bailiff and I've served some people their papers or seized their stuff in some pretty sketchy locations. I've had a shotgun pulled on me twice, been threatened with bodily harm too many times to count and this was in Canada.

In no instance would my being armed have done anything other than escalate the situation to a very negative conclusion, either for myself or for the other person. In both cases of having a shotgun pulled on me, I explained why I was there and extracted myself from the situation. It then became a police matter and was resolved by them. Both individuals ended up doing time, ironically not for pulling a gun but for other outstanding issues on their as it turned out lengthy jackets. As a Bailiff you're usually hitting people on a downward turn in their lives, it doesn't hurt to keep that in mind.

Was I scared? Damn straight I was but I wasn't allowed to carry in that job, so you deal with the situation with the tools at hand. You think fast and talk faster. That weapon is their idea of control, so you roll with that and give them the situation. The bodily harm stuff you just blow off, you busted them and they've been served their papers or you've seized their junk, it's just bluster at that point.

I've ridden all over the States and never felt the need to carry a firearm. The best thing to avoid trouble is to anticipate where it can occur and try to avoid the situation and nothing I've got on me is worth my life. My bottom line is that most people are good and want to help. This has been my experience in your country, when I've had a breakdown or something's gone off the rails. People have shown up to help not to take advantage of me.

It's not that Canadians can't get their head around things, we have plenty of gun crime here in Toronto, stabbings, drug related violence and just the other day, some young guy was beaten to death with golf clubs I just choose not to live in fear and use my brain and my gut to avoid situations that could get out of hand.

Though there was that time I walked into a Militia meeting in Washington state...

Like V-Tom, I have no problem with firearms and enjoy a few hours on the range. I don't hunt but that's more of a time and effort thing, we always had a shotgun on the farm and I've sent many a rabbit into a pot and when I was younger and didn't mind sleeping on the hard ground I'd hike into areas of the BC bush where not having a rifle was just plain dumb.

I kind of hope this thread doesn't go to hell. I'm interested in what people have to say pro or con.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Swingset nailed it for me...+1

In a car you have a 2 ton weapon at your disposal. On a bike you are a target. You have out of state plates and likely some cash.

I do not plan to shoot another motorist...although the thought has occured to me more than once. It is more for the night at the end of the ride.

I have needed mine (maybe I was glad I had it is better description) a few times while on the road or ATVing in the boonies. The latest, on my spring trip this year, I camped on the beach west of Panama City the good old fashioned way...under the stars in a desolate area. About midnight I was awakened by an ATV idling slowly up to me. Two guys were on it and looked wrong to me. The driver asked if I had some gas money. Without taking my eyes off of them I opened my top case and retrieved my wallet and Glock at the same time. The Glock I slid in my crotch so they could see it and I gave the guy a $5.

It was worth it to me not to escallate the encounter or to have to kill somebody over the few hundred cash in my wallet and they never showed a weapon. I left as soon as they were out of site and slept on a picnic table at the next town, with the glock in my pocket.

Good thread...it's doomed I'm sure

·
Administrator
13,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Certainly many Canadians have issues with guns. I don't - I grew up around them, have had training on them and know how to use them (mind you it's been a long time since I fired one.) I am not againt guns or hunting or having guns. I may very well take up an invitation from a friend to go shooting with him.

I'm just surprised at how it always seems to come up in a converstation as to what to bring on a ride and wonder what you actually hope to gain with one. In the rides I have done in the US I have never felt threatened or in a situation where I wish I had a gun and have wondered how much of the feelings or needing a gun are driven by overly scary media reports.

Now, I don't go around a lot of scary city downtowns, so perhaps I just haven't seen the worst of things.

..Tom

btw, I love Robert Heinlein's books. In many of them he slides in some interesting thoughts on politics, governments and society. In one book the society he writes about all have guns except some designated people, and it made for a very polite society.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Most packers are US based here, many have grown up around firearms, most are country folks having shot numerous firearms growing up, longarms and handguns that have handed down for generatons, we see techology changing materials and ballistics, so we buy more.
Therefore, it just goes along with adventure riding, we can plink along the road side, and who knows we we just may need it, should it turn into an unplanned adventure, In many parts of america, its just as common as grabbing your car keys, wallet, ect as you walk out the door, After all, "we are a country of riflemen". These are also the some of the reasons we have the best military in the world, Welcome to the USA!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It's like having insurance on my car, home or bike. Hope never to need to use it in my lifetime, but want it if I do. Thats reason enough for me.
... but you will never get it out in time to protect yourself... If you are jumped, what then?... You both wrestle for your gun? If he/she prevails, you get shot with your own gun.... :confused: If someone points a gun at you, by the time you get yours out, they have shot you... I can't think of a scenario where carrying a gun would have me come out a winner... It's a false sense of security. Like VTom, I have nothing against guns... I know how to use them and have fired a few in my time....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I carry for a couple of reasons.

#1) A cop is too heavy to carry
#2) When seconds count a cop is minutes away
#3) It is my responsibility to protect I & my family
#4) Peace of mind

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
"but you will never get it out in time to protect yourself... If you are jumped, what then"

You are missing the point. If you put yourself in a dangerous situation....say walking down an alley at night in a bad area...you have already messed up, and in a way deserve some excitement.

Look at it this way...if you are aware somebody may pull out on you, you start to watch intersections. You avoid them almost or change lanes...whatever. The gun is also a last resort that you my friend do not have. Just because I have a gun does not mean I will NOT try to retreat or walk away first. I will do most anything to avoid a confrontation.

Contrary to popular belief, the USA is not the old west.

I do not plink on the roadside. I shoot at home at the range or on my land. On the road I carry one fully loaded clip with high dollar hollow points.

·
Registered
527 Posts
All good reasons mentioned. If you haven't kept up on training or haven't absolutely made the decision to use it if necessary, consider not carrying.

I get more satisfaction out of talking my way out of something but if it's necessary, I've made my decision.

I've been fortunate to have a lot of training and to overcome "ya won't get it out fast enough if they're aimin' atcha".....

1. Practice drawing and shooting.
2. Ask the other guy a math question while you're going for your gun. Sounds stupid but their brain will start firing on the question while you're firing on them. Even "what's 15 minus 7" will work. The half second delay while they think is enough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What do you hope to achieve with having it while riding and have you ever used it? if so, what was the situation and how did it help?/QUOTE]

Simply put. what you hope to achieve is to survive and you or your loved ones go home at the end of the day. That's my reason. There are some very bad people with bad intentions in this world and fortunately it sounds like you haven't encountered any of them yet. Situational awareness is the most important self defense tool we have. Guns are a last resort tool - when all else fails or trouble finds you without any other way out. Most people I know carry because they either have been a victim or refuse to be one. A gun is nothing but a useless brick without the training, practice, instinct and the will to survive any encounter.

I've had a "situation" years ago. I'll skip the finer details since it had nothing in common with biking except that it was a road rage incident. I was with friends and family. Two angry squids armed with big ass knives wanting blood for being "cut off". A loaded 12 gauge, finger on trigger, safety off by me in one guys face is what saved the day. Scary?..hell yeah! - it was a life changing event.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. If you are in Canada, it probably takes just a wee bit longer...:mod2_scooter:

·
Registered
230 Posts
You know when your walking on a dark street after a concert in the city... and you feel your being paced... and your getting the hair standing up on the back of your neck as your feeling like a hunter is stalking you as its prey.... that is the time you are getting hand position ready for a well practiced and exercised withdraw into the defensive position being led by the barrel of your pistol.

You hope that this never goes past the feeling... never goes to you withdrawing from holster.... but ready for if that day were to pass.

There are dead folks all over the USA and world that hoped that the bad guy was not there to do harm. There are bad guys have total intent on killing you because it gives them a hard on or makes them high on adrenaline. I'd rather have a small chance then have no chance.

As to the avoiding "bad" places.... schools, churches, McDonalds, Wall Marts, front yards, living rooms, public transportation, work offices and many other "safe places" have been where mothers, fathers and children have fallen silently into death by the hands of evil that could not have been predicted in any way.

As a Canadian, I understand the mindset and the need to skew the perception to make ones situation seem more acceptable. As an American, I find the concept of disarming myself and my fellow Americans appalling. I pray that should one day my wife or children be faced with great violence, that one of my fellow Americans may be nearby and have the fortitude to take arms in defense of the helpless.

Trust me, for every 1 American who is an avid sheep dog there are tens and hundreds of Americans who are gentle sheep.

Just be glad that the sheepdog prowls the night, waiting and hoping to find a wolf.... ready and mentally willing to do great violence to the wolf that would otherwise devour the sheep.

Me

1 - 20 of 118 Posts