StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the morning calling all the motorcycle shops I could find in Quetzaltenago, Antigua, and Guatemala City. For those of you in the USA -- never take for granted the selection of tires you have for the prices you can buy them for. Here in Guatemala you can only buy what they have. Want a different model/brand? Too bad. In any case, here's what I found:

PS: 1 USD = 7.75 Guatemalan Quetzals (Q)

========================================================
Quetzaltenango:
Comercial Aguilar:

Dunlop -- japonaisa; --- G501T ---- 1230Q
Maxis --Taiwain -- M6029; ---- 1290Q

Plus 30Q to install
Antigua (la recollection):

Pirelli MT75 --- pavement only --- 710Q

Pirelli Scorpion -- dual sport -- 1425Q -- not in stock need to order it
Guatemala City: Motoshop VRC

Pirelli -- Scorpion MT90
Precio: 1360Q -- 1224Q --- best price with discount
Guatemala City -- Asi Asi

1520Q --- Continental Contri-tri attack --road only
Antigua (Henry the mechanic)

pirelli -- scorpion MT-90....
800Q --- brazilana.

dunlop -- g501T --- (not sure if I got this model # correct) 1200Q ----

I don't know a heck of a lot about tires... but it seems like I'd want a dual sport tire as opposed to a purely asphalt tire. So my thought is to go with the Pirelli Scorpion as it seemed to get good reviews on the forums here. I'd love your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
but it seems like I'd want a dual sport tire as opposed to a purely asphalt tire. So my thought is to go with the Pirelli Scorpion as it seemed to get good reviews on the forums here. I'd love your thoughts!
arooni, i would agree with your statement here. from the list you provided those are what i would choose. i don't have personal experience with them, but my dad runs them on his KTM 640 Adv. and he has loved them. they also seem to have a really good dual sport tread on them.

hope this helps, and wish you luck on your trip.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Scorpions are great tires. Soft though. Perfect for rain with good traction. Don't last all that long.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I spent the morning calling all the motorcycle shops I could find in Quetzaltenago, Antigua, and Guatemala City. For those of you in the USA -- never take for granted the selection of tires you have for the prices you can buy them for. Here in Guatemala you can only buy what they have. Want a different model/brand? I'd love your thoughts!
Hi Arooni,
I would like to share with you my thoughts on this topic.

You are asking a question that probably 99.9% of us forum members can't answer with convincing confidence. The reason is, 99.9% of us haven't done what you are doing. And, most likely will never be able to do.

You are doing what most of us dream about doing. And, in doing so, you are positioning yourself, in a spot where, the 99.9% of us want to ask you; "Hey Arooni, I have a motorcycle trip, (of a lifetime), planned for Central America, with the hopes of reaching South America. I know that tires are going to be an issue for me. Based upon your experience, what would you recommend for the trip?"

I think most of us are scratching our heads as to why you are asking your question, when you are the one with the riding experience that got you to the place that most of want to ride to!

David, trust me, you have got the miles under-your-belt, and you well know the feel of your bike, underneath your butt, and underneath your feet planted on your footpegs, to know what tire is best for you.

Forget about cost. You can afford whichever tire you feel is best for you. Take a look at the choices you have available to you. Study the tread patterns. Memorize them. Then, close your eyes and reride all of the miles you have ridden so far, in your head. When you do this exercise, the selection of which tire is best for you, will speak to you.

Buy it. Get it mounted. And, go ride!

Besides, that hawt chick, that was sitting on the back of your bike, in your last photo, is slipping away from you, while you shuffle your feet, and your brain cells, while you are trying to find an answer to a question that you already know!

Now, get to it!!!

B.L.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Arooni,
I would like to share with you my thoughts on this topic.

You are asking a question that probably 99.9% of us forum members can't answer with convincing confidence. The reason is, 99.9% of us haven't done what you are doing. And, most likely will never be able to do.

You are doing what most of us dream about doing. And, in doing so, you are positioning yourself, in a spot where, the 99.9% of us want to ask you; "Hey Arooni, I have a motorcycle trip, (of a lifetime), planned for Central America, with the hopes of reaching South America. I know that tires are going to be an issue for me. Based upon your experience, what would you recommend for the trip?"

I think most of us are scratching our heads as to why you are asking your question, when you are the one with the riding experience that got you to the place that most of want to ride to!

David, trust me, you have got the miles under-your-belt, and you well know the feel of your bike, underneath your butt, and underneath your feet planted on your footpegs, to know what tire is best for you.

Forget about cost. You can afford whichever tire you feel is best for you. Take a look at the choices you have available to you. Study the tread patterns. Memorize them. Then, close your eyes and reride all of the miles you have ridden so far, in your head. When you do this exercise, the selection of which tire is best for you, will speak to you.

Buy it. Get it mounted. And, go ride!

Besides, that hawt chick, that was sitting on the back of your bike, in your last photo, is slipping away from you, while you shuffle your feet, and your brain cells, while you are trying to find an answer to a question that you already know!

Now, get to it!!!

B.L.
Great advice. This is my second time buying tires for the Strom. The first time I spent hours of research and decided upon the Shinko 705's. For the most part I've been really happy with them (7500 miles on the front from San Francisco, CA -- looks hardly worn); and have been reasonable (with about 30PSI front/rear) on off-road situations. That being said; I did take a spill in Merida when it had just started raining. I think this was due to having too much PSI in the front tire (it was 40PSI). I now have a new rule to wait a half an hour when riding in the city and it starts to rain.

In any case, I was just trying to put feelers out if anyone had happened to ride the other tire options on the list. I know what I'd do if I were in the states, I'd just throw another Shinko rear on that's in the garage of a family friend in San Diego.

Here, far from home, you have to improvise. In any case, I feel like I'm making the journey with you folks; polling the forum for advice when I am facing a situation I don't have lots of experience with. I know that I'm getting better at handling situations on my own (such as breaking the clutch in the Baja desert, fixing the chain rubbing on the center stand, fixing a breakdown in Guatemala after 2 hours of bumpy off-roading and the bike wouldnt start -- it turned out to be a loose connection on the left hand control panel --- I found that out after checking all the fuses).

In any case, I'm definitely learning, and I'm more than willing to help you folks when it comes to planning and trip logistics outside the USA. There's much I've learned and I will be posting a blog with photos/stories/lessons learned.

So in closing, please do have patience with me, I'm becoming less of a noob with every mile out there on the road.

and PS: I'm not missing out on the finer things in life -- in 30 minutes I have a date with an attractive girl named Kaydie -- I met her at the yoga class I attended here yesterday in Quetzaltenago. I will be cooking her pasta with white mushroom/onion/garlic sauce, toasted garlic parm cheese, green spinach salad with peppers cucumbers and tomatoes, string green beans.... as well as a desert of vanilla ice cream with fresh bananas and strawberries. She's bringing over a bottle of wine, and I have purchased a candle. We're eating al fresco on the top of the lovely hostal I'm staying at --- with a beautiful view of the city.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
and PS: I'm not missing out on the finer things in life -- in 30 minutes I have a date with an attractive girl named Kaydie -- I met her at the yoga class I attended here yesterday in Quetzaltenago. I will be cooking her pasta with white mushroom/onion/garlic sauce, toasted garlic parm cheese, green spinach salad with peppers cucumbers and tomatoes, string green beans.... as well as a desert of vanilla ice cream with fresh bananas and strawberries. She's bringing over a bottle of wine, and I have purchased a candle. We're eating al fresco on the top of the lovely hostal I'm staying at --- with a beautiful view of the city.
Dammittochristhell.........

Does she have a sister?

I will bring a new tire for you, with me, if she does!

(You are a jerk, you know that? And, I mean that in the most respectful way. From one "sentimental romantic", to another.)

David, you are doing just fine!

·
Registered
471 Posts
What a great life !! Enjoy yourself young man, you only go this way once........TD

·
Registered
18 Posts
Back when I had my 1150GSA I used the Pirelli scorpion, I thought it was great tire. I didn't use my bike Off Road, but I did travel a fair amount of dirt and loose gravel roads. The only tire that held the better while turning was the TKC's. I tried anakees and they always felt like they were going to washout in turns.

I would go scorpions.

Do they still import them into the US?

Enjoy your trip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts