StromTrooper banner

141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That would be great. Once you have them in the gallery, send me a PM and I'll change your status temporarily so you can edit your old posts. Thanks for doing that. Many people rely on that information.

·
38,048 Posts
Thanks for that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for reposting the photos. Using the manual, I figured most of it out but the photos really help. Now, if I could just figure out how those plastics snap back together and remember it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for getting the photos back up, stop watch set, I'll see how long it takes me to replace the air filter shortly!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quick question maybe someone can answer, on the left side the 2 vent pipes/fuel return whatever they are on the left side of the tank, I am just putting her back together but I've encountered a bit of a head scratcher, there are 3 of these pipes on my bike!! 2 smaller ones of the same size that are lashed together, ok one of these fits on the tank, a slightly larger diameter one that also fits on the tank, question is where the hell is the 3rd pipe meant to go? don't remember disconnecting it from anywhere when I removed the tank, thanks.
the fuel connector was a bitch to separate, apart from that it wasn't too bad but it's a ridiculous amount of stripping to have to do for a service item.

Attachments

·
38,048 Posts
I'm pretty sure the third hose is a vent that doesn't attach to anything. It just prevents the good old finger on the top of the straw effect to pick up some liquid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks so much for going to trouble of posting this, DSRider650.
Very much appreciated, and I'm happy to report a successful (and easy, thanks to you) replacement of the original air filter with a shiny new K&N.
Cheers,
Flatty.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The bike is going so much better with the new air filter, I really notice a change in performance, thanks for the help folks.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
After struggling substantially with the fuel line connector the first few times I removed the tank -- to the point of walking away multiple times -- I finally figured out a way to easily remove and re-attach my fuel line connector on the under side of the tank. YMMV.

I've attached 4 pics -- fourth is the crucial one, for me (happy to upload higher res pics off-site by request):

01 | shows the blue tabs one pinches (red box) to depress the blue ramps (green box) which lock the black connector into place.

02 | Shows the same blue tabs as the previous pic (red box), but a better view of the blue ramps (green box) which secure the black connector by expanding into the black connector's open slots.

03 | Shows the slots in the black connector (blue box) into which the blue ramps expand, thereby securing the connector. To remove, the blue ramps need to be depressed enough to allow the black connector to slide off the blue ramps.

The fuel line attached to the black connector is right-angle, and on my bike angles down and forward of the fuel line spigot to which the connector attaches. In my case, the slight weight and angle of the fuel line applied enough lateral pressure to misalign the black connector's position over the blue ramps, thereby preventing the blue ramps from disengaging even after pinching the blue tabs as far as they would go.

04 | The solution I struck upon: lift the fuel line (in my case up and back) just a bit (yellow arrow) to relieve the lateral pressure on the connector and ensure connector alignment, while (as many others have noted) simultaneously depressing the blue tabs (red box) and pushing the black connector towards the blue tabs (purple arrow) to release the blue ramps (green box) and finally pull the black connector off (blue arrow).

I previously had a hard time gauging whether the connector was secured properly and safely. Using the method above to relieve the lateral pressure makes it easy for me to feel when the blue ramps click into place in the black connector's slots.

I can now detach and attach the connector at will, less than a second each direction. What a relief!
Pushing up in direction of yellow arrow was the trick for me. Thanks to Greywolf and original poster.

Sent from my A1-850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
In case anyone is still following this thread... I'm finally getting around to installing my GPS mount and a new dashcam system on my '12. Will it be sufficient to remove the sidepanels to fish the wiring from the front of the bike to the battery compartment? If not, will simply lifting up the rear of the fuel tank give enough access, or do I need to remove it completely? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In case anyone is still following this thread... I'm finally getting around to installing my GPS mount and a new dashcam system on my '12. Will it be sufficient to remove the sidepanels to fish the wiring from the front of the bike to the battery compartment? If not, will simply lifting up the rear of the fuel tank give enough access, or do I need to remove it completely? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
You should be able to just lift the tank from the rear, but you may want to just take it off so you can see better and have more access in the front. Plus you can check your air filter while you are at it :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
You should be able to just lift the tank from the rear, but you may want to just take it off so you can see better and have more access in the front. Plus you can check your air filter while you are at it :)
I'm not seeing the photos. I was able before-is the problem the update of the site?

141 - 160 of 163 Posts