StromTrooper banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well yeah, That support bracket is pretty important. Important enough it was included with the bike. Thought I had already covered that. I was just agreeing that with the tank on the support, it can still be tough to get the fuel line off the tank pipe fully because it is tight in there. Part of learning to work on bikes is getting used to restricted space. I have large hands that don't help things either.
I too have large hands and took my tank off for the first time last night. I couldn't figure out how it was so hard to remove the line.:mad2::mad2::mad2:

Finally I squeezed the tabs, grabbed the fitting and let the tank drop onto my hands. The fuel line when propped up was binding. Once lowered the line disconnected easily.:mod_cool::mod_cool:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I drained "most" of the fuel from my tank. When I disconnect the breather line and fuel pump line, will I get any more than just what was left in the line or will the tank attempt to drain itself of all fuel?

NC

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The fuel in the tank stays there when the fuel pump is not running. Only a tiny amount that is in the fuel line itself will come out. A rag under the connector will handle that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The fuel in the tank stays there when the fuel pump is not running. Only a tiny amount that is in the fuel line itself will come out. A rag under the connector will handle that.
I figured as much with the fuel pump not running only the residual fuel in the line will drain out.

Tank removed yesterday and my bike is currently having reconstructive surgery. I should have all electrical connections made and the bike back together as well. I hate seeing it torn apart.

NC

·
Registered
36 Posts
It would have been an interesting topic but sadly none of the photos would come up. "Sorry, the requested page does not exist." ? but thanks for your steps and to know the tool kit is all one requires.

·
1,237 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dilemma, the fuel line. 2013 Wee. Squeezed the tabs? I see a blue colored insert inside the plastic fitting. Not sure how much force to use.

·
38,048 Posts
You can see the ramps on the blue plastic. You need to get the tall ends of the ramps inside the black plastic sides. It may help to push the black plastic part in further so blue doesn't bind on black. Squeeze the blue ears together with your dominant hand, avoiding the black part, so the ramps get pushed together to clear. The blue part stays on the metal tube and the black separates from the blue with your non dominant hand. It may help to wiggle the black part as its O-ring may stick to the metal tube.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
After struggling substantially with the fuel line connector the first few times I removed the tank -- to the point of walking away multiple times -- I finally figured out a way to easily remove and re-attach my fuel line connector on the under side of the tank. YMMV.

I've attached 4 pics -- fourth is the crucial one, for me (happy to upload higher res pics off-site by request):

01 | shows the blue tabs one pinches (red box) to depress the blue ramps (green box) which lock the black connector into place.

02 | Shows the same blue tabs as the previous pic (red box), but a better view of the blue ramps (green box) which secure the black connector by expanding into the black connector's open slots.

03 | Shows the slots in the black connector (blue box) into which the blue ramps expand, thereby securing the connector. To remove, the blue ramps need to be depressed enough to allow the black connector to slide off the blue ramps.

The fuel line attached to the black connector is right-angle, and on my bike angles down and forward of the fuel line spigot to which the connector attaches. In my case, the slight weight and angle of the fuel line applied enough lateral pressure to misalign the black connector's position over the blue ramps, thereby preventing the blue ramps from disengaging even after pinching the blue tabs as far as they would go.

04 | The solution I struck upon: lift the fuel line (in my case up and back) just a bit (yellow arrow) to relieve the lateral pressure on the connector and ensure connector alignment, while (as many others have noted) simultaneously depressing the blue tabs (red box) and pushing the black connector towards the blue tabs (purple arrow) to release the blue ramps (green box) and finally pull the black connector off (blue arrow).

I previously had a hard time gauging whether the connector was secured properly and safely. Using the method above to relieve the lateral pressure makes it easy for me to feel when the blue ramps click into place in the black connector's slots.

I can now detach and attach the connector at will, less than a second each direction. What a relief!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there.. I am about to take the tank off my 2015 650 xt.. anyone have a good link with a video.. i have searched high and far and still confused how to get the front tank cover off. Wish Dsrider650 photos and videos would still be up and viewable...

thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
Can't believe some helpful soul hasn't posted a 'how to' video of this on youtube, I know how to remove the plastic side panels. just don't like messing with the fuel hose.

·
38,048 Posts
I don't know why people have trouble with the fuel line quick disconnect. Maybe it's because I have skinny fingers. Anyway, it may help to push the body in in the direction of the yellow arrow and twist it a little bit back and forth lefty loosey and righty tighty a few times in case the internal O-Ring is stuck. Then, while still pushing the body in, put you thumb and forefinger nails on the clips marked in red and squeeze them together. That gets the ramps shown by the white arrow to depress and free the body. Then pull the body off opposite the direction of the yellow arrow. You don't have to pull hard. If you get resistance to pulling, it's because the ears marked by the red arrows are not squeezed together. It the actual connection, there is no right angle hose fitting and the white plastic locking ring is either gray or blue depending on the year of the bike. The locking ring stays on the pipe from the tank and the black body gets removed with the hose.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Nice job GW.

I'm thinking I've taken my tank off about 20 times at least now. Nothing has broke or busted (yet).

Dorman makes a kit you can DIY your own fuel lines. 5/16" is close enough to 8mm and will work, I think.

They use nylon fuel hose and a press to fit them onto the hose barbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Of the two vent hoses (not the high-pressure fuelpump-to-tank line), does the rough or smooth tube attach to the front spigot? I see one is slightly larger than the other, which should make pressing them onto the spigot by feel assure the order is correct, but I'm anal (and didn't make a note of which one went toward the front when I disconnected them).

·
38,048 Posts
The fuel tank breather hose spigot is further to the rear of the tank while the fuel filler cap well drain hose spigot is nearer the front. The longer drain hose meets with the coolant overflow hose to dump any excess liquid down past the exhaust. The shorter breather hose goes to the fuel shut off valve that prevents fuel from running out through the breather hose if the bike is dropped. Here's a picture containing the fuel shut off valve on a highly modified Wee. It is directly above the dual vacuum tubes that connect to a brass and copper junction plate. You can see a short length of the breather hose extending from the top of the valve body. That valve is in the same position on the Glee directly in front of the inverted U saddle the rear of the tank connects to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Greywolf:

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Maybe I'm tired, but.....

You lost me when you began talking about the "longer" hose" and the "shorter" hose. Which hose has the protective outer "skin" and does it go to the front spigot or the rear spigot?

Thanks.

·
38,048 Posts
I don't remember and it isn't in the manual. You need to check where the hoses go. The hose more to the rear of the tank goes to the valve. The hose more to the front of the tank connects to another hose.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I’ve been away from the site for quite some time. I blew my PB account away when they took my photos hostage. Will see about using the galley here to restore the photos I’ve posted on this site.

121 - 140 of 163 Posts