StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did this in Florida, made some great friends, had some incredible times. I was wondering if there was any interest in Maine. I will lead rides and plan. Are there riders out there that want to ride in central Maine?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A word of caution no good deed goes unpunished. While it is very generous offering to plan and set up a group ride it can also be a disaster. I group ride (small groups) with friends and we know one another abilities and ride similarly and I okay with that.

Once and only once I went on a local "sport bike" meetup and ride and it was hell. Sport bike also meant everything from stretched Busa's to Electra glides Stands up was to be a noon at around 1pm went finally left. A lot of the riders including the leader were more into stopping for cigarette breaks and there was a huge varying ability of riders all jumbled up together. It was a cluster f*&K to say the least. I made it about 20 miles and 14 smoke breaks before I peeled off out of frustration.

All it takes is one rider who either what's to ride like they are at a local track day or the other end of the spectrum an unskilled rider turtling along at a glacial pace or even worse trying to keep up and getting in over their head.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the concern. I have been in many cluster fumbles as well. I have left rides s well.

I am trying to reach out to Mainers, as I have done in Florida, to get a group of guys/gals together, to have fun, ride casually, create memories of great times.

I have ridden in both groups. I feel confident that the experience will be well worth the effort. It would be great if you would help me with this!

take care

Clem

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I’d be up for some group rides. Been riding Stroms for 11 years now. I’m an experienced group rider and planner. Do 4-5 group camp outs per year and host the Peep Show at Cupsuptic Lake Campground each fall. I’m in Mechanic Falls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
would be great if you would help me with this!

take care

Clem
If anybody passing through South Central PA on their to or from ironmorph's ride and needs a wrench or a hot meal do not hesitate to PM me.

This is about all the help I can offer other than if you ride over to Bangor stop at Geghans for a pint of Refueler.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anybody passing through South Central PA on their to or from ironmorph's ride and needs a wrench or a hot meal do not hesitate to PM me.

This is about all the help I can offer other than if you ride over to Bangor stop at Geghans for a pint of Refueler.
thats the spirit, perfect, we have a friend PA

thanks

Clem

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d be up for some group rides. Been riding Stroms for 11 years now. I’m an experienced group rider and planner. Do 4-5 group camp outs per year and host the Peep Show at Cupsuptic Lake Campground each fall. I’m in Mechanic Falls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
contact me asap

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
I don't like group rides - two is fine especially with comms.

We did discover an interesting approach that might apply to groups with a leader and last rider as followup both with comms.

We let the following rider navigate while the lead rider kept watch for road conditions etc. Split the work load a bit.

I find riding with comms a very different and pleasant way to ride. Chit chat can make the more boring sections of any ride enjoyable as you swap stories.

These days it's just me and my audio books roaming as much as I can in Australia and North America.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Clem, good for you reaching out to get other riders out and about. MacDoc, I agree that large groups are not fun but 3-4 evenly matched riders can make for a spirited day or more of riding together. I think the key is that whomever leads always maintains a reasonable pace and keeps stops workable for all. Fuel is way more important than a smoke break....combining both shows that person to be thoughtful and pragmatic. For touring and group rides of some length I am a fan of having a pre-planned route--which can change due to conditions, etc.--main stops already thought out (Coffee/breakfast/lunch/bio-break/point of interest) with some flexibility built in. Camp should be made by 3-4PM to give every rider time to get set up and comfortable before dark. Having a known spot to purchase dinner stocks, byob items and firewood nearby helps a whole lot also!
Yeh, still have some riding buds who I would not hesitate to join for an afternoon or a week.
Also, Clem - you should look at the NEVA event in Vermont in early August. Tankrpilot is one of the co-conspirators behind this year's offering....I have a great Vermont Gap Ride route worked out, Tankerpilot...no GPS, old-school maps. Maybe you could convert to modern version?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Also, Clem - you should look at the NEVA event in Vermont in early August. Tankrpilot is one of the co-conspirators behind this year's offering....I have a great Vermont Gap Ride route worked out, Tankerpilot...no GPS, old-school maps. Maybe you could convert to modern version?

I’ve ridden the Gaps many many times and have several gpx files at the ready. Send me yours and I can whip it up in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Also, Clem - you should look at the NEVA event in Vermont in early August."

I will check that event out thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts