StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread I'm trying to trace a bad earth but this is a general question(s).

What do people think of hyper-grounding solutions? I'm not sure how they work but it seems to be some kind of super-earth that overrides any bad earth problems. Must say it sounds like snake oil to me and being a cheapskate I'd rather bodge something anyway...but I value my sanity and if something like this will works I'll try it.

So - do hyper-grounds work and would they work on an alu-framed bike?

Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I would put the car kits in the "solution in search of a problem" category.

The Strom basically has so called hyper grounding stock because it does not rely on the frame for grounding. Frame grounding with a combination of aluminum and steel invites galvanic corrosion. The only grounds that are not wired that I can think of off hand are engine grounds for spark plugs and the starter motor. The other grounds are wired with B/W wires in the harness.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
This B.S. belongs on late night television with the weight loss products and credit correction agencies. Hyper Ground System – by Sun Automobile :: Sigma Automotive

Simple copper wires of equal gauge to the positive wires running from any electrical consumer to the battery negative post or a negative bus will do the job just right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...Simple copper wires of equal gauge to the positive wires running from any electrical consumer to the battery negative post or a negative bus will do the job just right.
As my front brake light switch isn't working (Switch is fine, wires have voltage but light isn't interested) if I take a wire from the -ve on the battery to switch input for the b/w wire (and crimp off the old wire) this should fix the problem?

If it's a yes - could I just tap into the old b/w wire rather than replacing it?

·
38,104 Posts
The front brake switch does not involve ground at all. Its Black/Blue wire connects to a White/Black harness wire and it's Black/Red wire connects to an Orange/Green harness wire. The Orange/Green wire is hot when the ignition is on and the switch on makes the White/Black wire hot. That feeds power to one side of the brake lights which are grounded on the other side.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if the "lights" are grounded and not the switch, a grounding issue would affect rear and front brake switch operation, right?

·
38,104 Posts
So if the "lights" are grounded and not the switch, a grounding issue would affect rear and front brake switch operation, right?
Are you asking if the front brake light switch doesn't work and the rear brake light switch does work, can there be a grounding issue? If so, no, the issue is not grounding.

With the ignition switch on, check the B/R wire for power, then see if the B/Bl wire gets power with the brake applied, finally check the W/B wire for power with the brake applied.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's correct, the front doesn't work but the back does. The switch has been opened and cleaned and clicks fine. Will check as suggested when I get a moment.

NB There is power across the two wires but shorting them doesn't bring the light on.

Thanks.

·
38,104 Posts
Is power getting to the W/B wire on the other side of the connector from the B/Bl wire? I suspect not and the problem would be at the connector behind the radiator.

·
38,104 Posts
The cowlings need to come off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, would a quick fix be to send some power direct to the black/blue contact on the switch?

I won't have time to take the panels off for three weeks....

·
38,104 Posts
There is no W/B wire to the switch. The B/Bl wire on the switch leads to the W/B wire on the other side of the connector. If you send power directly to the W/B wire, the brake lights will always be on.

You could jumper the B/Bl wire to the W/B wire and bypass the connector. There is access to a W/B wire under the seat or at the rear brake light switch. If that works, you can be pretty sure the problem is with the connector behind the radiator.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the left rear indicator bulb blew today. Replaced it (and resat it in its holder as it'd had a knock) and hey presto the front brake switch now works again....FFS....!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts