StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my previous thread it was pointed out that I have ground loop problem. I'm trying to figure out if this product http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hdz4GQ6Jskg/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=127sni135&i=127SNI135
simply can be plugged into the headphone jack on my gps. The ground loop isolator that Radio Shack sells says it isn't supposed to go between the amp and the speakers, which is about the only place it can go. This is probably really simple but I can't find a simple answer.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info is needed about your setup. It's hard to say if this will work or not.
iway 600c gps is wired directly to the battery, and the gps has an output jack which feeds the headphones. I'm hearing a whinning noise which goes up and down with the engine rpms.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Best solution would be to put a choke in the power lead to the GPS. Rat Shack used to sell a 4mH choke for this, but I think it's gone from the catalog. You can also try re-routing the power lead a different way since it might be induced noise. (That's what I did with my Autocom.)

The ground isolator method prolly isn't going to work. That's more effective when you're connecting two pieces of equipment together and each device has its own power leads.

Do some searches on alternator whine and see if you can come up with a filter choke (inductor). There may also be a capacitor in the kit, but you won't need it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts