StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a dealer in the Greater Vancouver Area selling GP's or am I going to have to order them ? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any canadian shops selling them?

ca sport touring got them for 8 usd plus8 usd for shipping.
I'd like to get rid of the 8 usd shipping charge. :(

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Hey WW, I got a set of ProGrip 714s from CA ST. I haven't installed them yet but I've heard good reports. They are much larger diameter than the stockers and I think they'd probably last longer than the slip-on, Grip Puppies. Price is about the same but I'd be willing to bet that one of your local dealers could order the ProGrips in for you, saving the shipping from Cali.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=16313&Category_Code=PROG

BINGO! Motovan's catalogue, lower left of the page. And they even have purple for you. :)

http://www.motovan.com/cat/2006moto_en/images/0431.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Heavy!!

I was in the market for some Grip Puppies too... and to think I was just looking through that catalogue two nights ago!

Edit: oops... thought you meant they were selling the Grip Puppies there.. Maybe I'll give the ProGrips a try.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just called CA sport touring, and I was reassured that I won't charged 8usd for the shipping, since they will be mailed using regular mail.

·
Registered
140 Posts
CA Sport Touring and charges

Just called california Sport Touring and they said that they have to charge the $8.00 extra for shipping to Canada and had never heard of anything different....Soooo nobody in Canada selling them?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used foam hand grips for ten speed bicycles. Canadian tire sell them for about 5 bucks. They slide right over your existing grips and fit nice and snug. The bonus part is the package contains enough foam grip to do your Strom 4 times. Something to keep in mind:D

·
Registered
703 Posts
PXX, what is the trick to getting the Cambodian Tire grips on? I bought a pair, but they do not seem to fit at all.

·
Administrator
13,201 Posts
PXX, what is the trick to getting the Cambodian Tire grips on? I bought a pair, but they do not seem to fit at all.
I haven't put them on my bike, but put them on my little ultralight. I used some water/dish detergent mix to lubricate them so they slip right on.

..Tom

·
Registered
115 Posts
:iagree:

V-Tom beat me to it
Thats exactly how I did it, Dishsoap and water. I have been told that hairspray is a good option too since it gets sticky when dries. The C.T. grips are snug enough that they don't move so extra stick-um isn't needed

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Go with the Grip Puppies..

The problem with Canadian Tire grips is that they're open-cell foam. The act like sponges when it rains. Way too wet.

Grip puppies are closed-cell foam. They don't get waterlogged.

The Grip Puppies are worth the extra $$.

So there... :mod2_tt2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
That is true Janice, the C.T. grips do hold water but they don't absorb it. The only time they get really wet is when the bike is sitting out in the rain. A quick squeeze before you put your riding gloves on and yer good to go. Riding in the rain isn't an issue with you hands on the bars + knuckle guards.

It's a good point pass along to anyone who is deciding between the 2. I went the "cheap and easy route" since it suits me:rolleyes: Maybe I should be riding a KLR;)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I got some at Canadian Tire for around $5 over a year ago that were great. I cut one off when I recently replaced my throttle tube and got a replacement set just last week.
There are two styles at CT, the longer ones that you can cut in half to make two pairs of grips and a shorter style that come as a pair. IMHO the shorter ones are better.

I used to have grip puppies but really like the ones from CT better. The foam seems pretty much the same as the grip puppies but is thicker.

I have pictures of the packaging with brand name but they are still on my camera. Will try to get them up on my site when I return to the office Monday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts