StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some grip puppies on my wee and so far I am very happy. Picked these up from California Sport Touring, even tho the shipping charge was quite painful to Cda. ($27 for a $9 item). Others had suggested a cheaper local version of a bicycle slip on grip, which I tried 2 of, but both tore while trying to fit over the existing grip. The grip puppies fit was perfect, a quick snip to over all length, then slip on with soapy water just as advertised. Could not have been easier.

The grips now feel more like my old cruiser, much more comfortable size and less cramping of my hand.

Here is a vid of the installation (not mine);

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had them on my last 3 bikes and I seriously can't go back. I took them off my old bike once right before I sold it and I couldn't believe I rode it around like that for so long :thumbup:.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Had a set on my 650, it was the first thing I did when I got the new bike (Concours). They greatly improve the comfort, IMO. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I drove across the US border to get a set. Cost me $13 and change, but then no shipping fees. I wanted to checkout their boots anyways, so the gas expense doesn't bother me. I spent more on gas than you did on shipping anyways. It was raining hard and i took the car. Was glad i did as it was almost an hour at the border to cross. Some guy turned off his motor in the line but left his lights on, so of course his battery died, and it was in my lane too.

It was easy to install them. I just put liquid soap inside, and a bit on the old grip. Most of that soap squeezed out as they went on and no movement at all.

It does help with the cramping but not completely. I think i need to get some pull back risers to really fix the issue. My arms are too straight currently.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does help with the cramping but not completely. I think i need to get some pull back risers to really fix the issue. My arms are too straight currently.
The risers sound like a good plan. I focus on not putting too much pressure on my hands, and resting my pointer and middle finger on the break lever to relieve stress. The grip puppies are certainly going a long way to make my hands feel better tho.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the grip puppies and they are a big difference to me (I think it is the increased diameter that helps).

I also have 1" up and 1" back and instead of being straight-armed, I now have a nice bend in my elbows which helps to take the pressour off of my wrists.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Gotta chime in here also. Just put them on, and I will never go back. I should have done this long ago! It's the latest "best mod" to my Wee......:green_lol:

Just some advice to those who havent taken the handlebar ends off - just loosen the end screw and pull out the whole assemnly together. AND put it back in the same way with some tire lube. Otherwise the end (inboard) rubber gromet will be a bear to retrieve and rethread!

Don't ask me how I know.........:confused:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Another +1. $10 well spent.
I put mine on using hairspray. Can't remember who told me this, but the alcohol lubes the grips, then dries and evaporates. I guess there is some sort of adhesive in hairspray too?
Anyway, werkz good.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Another +1. Kinda like power windows on a cage for me. Once you have em no going back. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Fat Fingers

You might try Fat Fingers too.

discoteca sells them here. Do a search on Fat Fingers, you'll find 'em.

The ones for the clutch and brake levers take a little bit to get used to, but after using them for a few years, I'd not want a bike without them. They give you a really positive grip.

Hey, they're cheap. Try them and you'll probably like 'em.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I tried them for a few months after I got the bike and wound up taking them off. I didn't like the spongy feel of the grips, the harder rubber of the factory grips suits me better. I use gloves with gel palms instead.

Maybe it's the Florida sun, but they started shedding foam pretty fast too. By the time they came off, they looked like a dog had been gnawing on them.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
My pups lasted well until I got Alpinestars Moto GP gloves with plastic nubs on the palm edge. The nub on the heel of the left hand strips the foam nicely.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
about how much bigger is the diameter,
the standard grips are a bit small for my hands.
The site lists the wall thickness as .15 inches, so times 2 is .3 inches larger.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Using an Omni-cruise with Grip Puppies?

I've just ordered my Grip Puppies from Californian Sport Touring & am having them shipped to Australia.... Incredibly, it's cheaper for me to do this than it is to buy them here in Oz ($17.10 USD)!!! :yikes:

Anyway, I also have an Omni-cruise on order & was wondering how well these will work together? I'm thinking I'll probably have to leave a gap for the Omni-cruise at the inner end?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Love these things. I usually buy two or three pairs a year. I put them on my Vee and GS when it warms up, and regretfully take them off when it gets frosty enough that I need full output from my heated grips.

They're impressively durable -- they don't fall apart quickly like other foam products. But they don't last forever either. I can usually get about 1.5 to 2 seasons out of a Grip Puppy, if I manage to remove it without tearing.

They do reduce the heat output from heated grips. You'll still get a useful amount of heat, but it'll be roughly 1/3 or so less. When it gets cold enough to need max heat, you'll have to take them off.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am using the Grab On Grip Covers. Definitely more comfortable on the hands now, but they tend to hold some water after it rains so that requires a good squeeze when getting on the bike after getting off work. I plan to keep them on all winter, as I have heated gloves that work just fine when it's cold and wet outside.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Anyway, I also have an Omni-cruise on order & was wondering how well these will work together? I'm thinking I'll probably have to leave a gap for the Omni-cruise at the inner end?
I've got the cheapo plastic version of the Omni-cruise, and it works fine with the Grip Puppys. The Omni-Cruise comes with a silicone rubber band to ensure it has enough friction. Put this band on the grip over the Grip Puppy and it should work fine.

If you got the fancy metal version of the OC, it'll need to open up a just bit wider than with a bare grip, but it should be no problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts