StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Less than $10 and about 15 minutes of work. Hope someone finds these photos useful.

Free delivery. Set of two Grip Puppies.

Easy to follow instructions provided.

Supplies needed: Phillips screwdriver, wives dish rag, soap and water, small bucket

Unscrew bar-end weight, but NOT too far!

Push hand guard away (if you have one).

Lube grip (no endorsement of Gain Dish Soap intended)

Suds!

Peel back some of the Grip onto itself, than soak and suds.

Hard part, getting over the small rubber stop bump on factory grip.

Half installed, not too hard.

Used a dry rag to get a better grip on slippery things.

Left the grip long. I did NOT cut it at all. Now unfold it and reattach hand guard.

All Done!!

The clutch side. Same process...

Charlie- Head Mechanic and Supervisor.

I really hopes this is able to help someone out. I have used this website many, many times for things "just like this" so I thought it was time to give back. I was already started on this project and I stopped, grabbed my camera, and started over again.

Peace,

·
Registered
555 Posts
When I tried to roll back the grips like you show....mine split. I decided to go ahead and replace the whole grip with "Beston" style. Actually the package actually said Beston brand. I really like the fatter grips but it makes me feel like I'm riding a vintage British bike.

BTW, good tutorial.

Rick

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Why the need for the new grips?

Did the grips help on vibration?
I like them because I have big hands and they're more comfortable on long rides -- my fingers are more relaxed.

I was not having a vibration problem.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why the need for the new grips?

Did the grips help on vibration?
I read quite a bit about them, and they were less than 10 bucks, so I bought them. Installation was really simple. I have not actually tried them yet, but them seem pretty darn comfortable sitting in my driveway. I like the extra thickness of the grip itself, seems like a noticeable difference in response to the bike. I mean, really, the physical contact points being 1) butt, 2) feet, 3) hands - this made sense, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
900 Posts
For $10 and ten minutes-max install time, I'm amazed by the increase in comfort I've realized by those Grip Puppies things. Tops at "most bang for the buck", IMHO.

·
Registered
353 Posts
alternatives to grip puppies

I'vs had my grip puppies on for about 10k miles and they are comfortable but wearing/tearing on clutch side and also on other side. I also did not like how they seem to bleed on my hands after a while (washed and still bled).

Time to get new ones and in searching posts found old alternative at Canadian Tire that looked good but dead link, some about Schwin exercisers that were listed at 1" (too big), set at JP cycles, and saw some "gel" ones at Canadian tire online but did not list size. Got me thinking on gel idea.

Anyone tried an alternative maybe even gel that worked well? I just want to get a slip on more durable that is also comfortable.

I might just see what they have at Walmart in bicycle section when out tonight. I am looking to get something more durable and still want to add padding for comfort and vibration as if I make stock ones a bit larger I want to still get some gain.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Wait until you ride the first day in a good downpour of rain, and your throttle starts to slip slightly, and then starts to lose grip entirely, as you squeeze the throttle side as hard as possible to merely maintain speed.

Ask me how I know?

You used wayyyy too much soap, and I used much less, and have problems.

It will not rear it's slippery head until you get them real wet, while riding.

I put a new set on about 3.5wks ago, and used mostly water, and literally a tiny dab of dish-soap on the tip of my finger, spread evenly on the inside o the puppy.

The best technique......pull it on quickly, and deliberately, do not stop mid way if possible.

I also always cut mine down, as I found they end of splitting over time, if too long, and eventually need replacing earlier than they should.

Besides all that, great stuff, have used them on past 3 bikes, think they are a fantastic 5min mod.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial. I love my puppies. The vibrations bothered me until I put them on. Mine split on the clutch side after a year or so, but I put some tape on and they held up for thousands miles more. Definitely the best 10 buck farkle for the strom. I've since replaced them cuz I put grip heaters on and these make for an easy heater install.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have these grips on my wee. For $10 I think they are a no brainer. I had vibration issues in my throttle hand. My hand would go numb after 20-25 min on the 'slab. These make the grips larger and easier to grip. This means I relax my grip a little and am far more comfortable.

I put mine on using hairspray. They haven't slipped at all.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I have these grips on my wee. For $10 I think they are a no brainer. I had vibration issues in my throttle hand. My hand would go numb after 20-25 min on the 'slab. These make the grips larger and easier to grip. This means I relax my grip a little and am far more comfortable.

I put mine on using hairspray. They haven't slipped at all.
As for soap & slipping:
I did a similar grip upgrade for my mountain bikes last year. The bike mechanic warned me against using soap. He recommended using a Windows cleaning solution like Windex, as it dries up quickly and doesn't become slippery like soap when water touch it. It worked great then, I might try this method again.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice Guide

I put a new pair of grip puppies over my oxford grip heaters... I prefer the larger grip feel and for the price of them is next to nothin. Hairspray works too and gives a nice tacky feel once it dries.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
So, you guys cost me $10 with your write-ups and photos... :)

Extremely pleased with the grip puppies - much more fun riding the bike. really. I've got really big hands, and now it feels right.

Any way, I wanted to share two tips that helped me install the grips in 15 seconds each:
1. I took the advice given here and pealed back the edge by about 1 inch.
But then I pre-heated the whole inner sleeve but pouring in hot water (not boiling, just very hot) into a plastic bag, and let it rest for 2-3 minutes.
The effect of that pre-heating is a softer and more flexible material to work with. Really easy and low-tech (no need for compressor).

2. I used a Windows cleaning spray (some 'blue water' like Windex), a product called Glass Plus [and I'm getting no money from them.. ;) ]

I sprayed it inside the inner sleeve of the grips and on the OEM grips on the handle bars.
That is much better than soapy water, since it dries really quickly and leaves nothing behind. Soap is much more oily.
The end result is dry as a bone and doesn't move a bit.

In three strong clock wise circular movements the grips just went on without any problem. 30 minutes to dry up and that's it! :fineprint:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great Tutorial and pics to help installation.

Also thanks for the tip on window cleaner/hairspray/hot water - may use them when replacement needed (12k miles and no problems thus far). Seattle in rain and soap not an issue (though I didn't use as much as the tutorial).

BUT - I have used both sizes and this may have something to do with no slipping soap in the rain, lack of wear?

I ran the standard size (small) for 1,000 miles and they were a nice improvement. Then added the Large ones OVER the small ones and made the grips feel great for me (I don't have bear paws - average size for 6', medium/large gloves). No cramping, numbness - very comfortable and very secure on both sides.

I like Double Puppies! :hurray:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like them because I have big hands and they're more comfortable on long rides -- my fingers are more relaxed.

I was not having a vibration problem.
I second that. Tiz why I also got mine.

When I installed mine, I used an air compressor and just used air to puff them out enough to slide them on.

-b

1 - 20 of 49 Posts