StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready for grip heaters, but can't find much consensus searching the threads. I see that Oxford doesn't offer the foil that goes under the stock grips anymore, although it is available elsewhere. Anyone have experience with the foil versus the newer oxford grips? How about the standard oxford heat control versus the heat troller, which is supposed to draw less power? And I know the stock grips are easiest to install, but I'm passing due to the cost and ungainly control box.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had Symtec "foil" first on my 2012, but 1 year later I had to change them because something was shorted in the left one.
Now I have the Oxford and I like them much more.
No matter how is the control, the power/heat is the same because 100% of the electric energy is converted to heat anyway.
It is just that a troller will give you more precise ajustment.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Someone told me that those heated grips are larger diameter than the OEM and this causes the hands seizing more easily when you drive for several hours. Someone has noticed this?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Someone told me that those heated grips are larger diameter than the OEM and this causes the hands seizing more easily when you drive for several hours. Someone has noticed this?
I haven't. A lot of people use foam covers over the grips as well, which makes them even bigger.

Seizing/pumping usually only happens on rough terrain with dirt bikes or racing.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Bike and scooter have Oxfords. Love 'em. Bike originally had foil, but warped the plastic throttle tube (not necessary related to the foil - probably more of a plastic tube issue, replaced with G2 aluminum tube), but replaced with Oxford's.

The controller on my bike is fine, but the one on the scooter has gotten very persnickety (only in colder temps, of course) and will probably be replaced this season with a single heattroller once I see some time opening up.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have some type of grip heater below the grip (not sure if it is OEM or aftermarket) and they suck - just don't get that warm - I installed Oxford on my wife's wee and those are more like snowmobile heated grips - they do wrap over the stock grip and granted the control is off or on - but big deal - too warm is better than too cold. I like the bigger grip circumference and padding - as does my wife.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts