StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few have done this and I've bought everything I need to start the job but before I do, I have a question.

For those of you that have done this... Did you use the tape adhesive on the heater element attached directly onto the old grips? Or, did you leave the tape paper on and wrap the whole thing with electrical or some other kind of tape before putting on the grip puppies?

Secondly, again for those that have done this, how has it been working out so far? I know, I know, it's summer time... who needs grip heaters? LOL

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Yes they do work with grip puppys or other foam overgrips. It just takes longer for them to heat up.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they do work with grip puppys or other foam overgrips. It just takes longer for them to heat up.
Thanks that's why I bought them. But... that wasn't the question at hand :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing what you finally do. I want to do the same, but am worried the heating elements won't wrap far enough around. Also, I would shy away from electrical tape. Have you seen what happens over time to electrical tape adhesive and heat? I'd probably use a large diameter shrink wrap tubing which will make the grip puppies even easier to get on, as well as allowing for an intact removal of everything should something go wrong.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be interested in hearing what you finally do. I want to do the same, but am worried the heating elements won't wrap far enough around. Also, I would shy away from electrical tape. Have you seen what happens over time to electrical tape adhesive and heat? I'd probably use a large diameter shrink wrap tubing which will make the grip puppies even easier to get on, as well as allowing for an intact removal of everything should something go wrong.

I didn't even want to type the words "electrical tape" in my post for just that reason. I do have some soft rubber tape that has no stickyness or glue. If pressed and rubbed it manages to adhere to itself. It's used on aircraft wiring harnesses.

I did just go into the garage to check how far the elements go around the stock grips. It seems there's about 1" of unheated area left. That shouldn't be a problem with good placement though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just used the sticky backing on the heat elements (ATV) and attached them to the grips that way. Then I slid on the grip puppies with some soapy water. Works well, and they've stayed put.

They don't wrap all the way around. But I attached them so that they cover the upper area of the palms of my hands that has full contact with the grips, and a little bit up onto the fingers. I figure that there's enough surface area contact to get good, warm blood flow up to my finger tips. Hell, these things get so damn HOT even on LOW that I'm probably causing global warming all by myself. Gotta get a heat troller.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just used the sticky backing on the heat elements (ATV) and attached them to the grips that way. Then I slid on the grip puppies with some soapy water. Works well, and they've stayed put.

They don't wrap all the way around. But I attached them so that they cover the upper area of the palms of my hands that has full contact with the grips, and a little bit up onto the fingers. I figure that there's enough surface area contact to get good, warm blood flow up to my finger tips. Hell, these things get so damn HOT even on LOW that I'm probably causing global warming all by myself. Gotta get a heat troller.
This was my experience exactly. Position the heating element towards the front so it gets the finger tips and palm. Be sure and get the elements for an ATV and not a motorcycle. Unless I turn them on and off they are too hot even on low. With the heat troller they should be wonderful. I'll add that before next winter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This was my experience exactly. Position the heating element towards the front so it gets the finger tips and palm. Be sure and get the elements for an ATV and not a motorcycle. Unless I turn them on and off they are too hot even on low. With the heat troller they should be wonderful. I'll add that before next winter.
Just wondering... What's the difference between elements for an ATV as opposed to one for motorcycles?

Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The elements for ATVs heat equally. The motorcycle specific elements are not as warm on the throttle side so as not to melt the throttle tube and to account for heat loss through the handlebars on the other side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts