StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m keen for a bit of help solving a sound issue with my 2012 650. The bike has a Speed-related and rhythmic vibration or grinding sound in 5th gear at about 70km/hr and 6th gear at about 110km/hr. I haven't noticed anything in the other gears. Would this then be a gearbox issue?
Other details:
  • I’ve done 30km.
  • The chain and sprockets are new, well lubed and looser than spec.
  • The front sprocket was tightened without a torque wrench.
  • No recent change in milage
  • I've done the last two services myself.
I'd love to hear your thoughts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Got crash bars? Does the noise happen in a certain RPM range?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Spec,
I’ve got crash bars. I tightened them a couple of months ago.
The sound happens between 3.5k-4k revs in 5th and 4.5k-5k revs in 6th. It disappears when you pull the clutch or release the throttle. It is most noticeable when slowly accelerating.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Probably not the culprit but check chain alignment. I had always heard that those marks on the swingarm may not be accurate enough but didn't believe it. Well my 2008 650 was off enough to cause noise and once a broken chain when it rode up the sprocket. The chain was dry at the time and I had kept well lubed on trip. Had just returned from 10 day trip to Canada and it broke 2 miles from home so it could have been a lot worse. The rubber cush drive was old and worn also so replaced at same time.

I now use a chain alignment tool to be sure.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Do you have a front sprocket with the rubber damper or one without?

But my money is on the crash-bars causing harmonic vibration noise. Are yours with the split front? If so disassemble, put some rubber dampening in between and re-assemble and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for taking the time to help out, Randy and Blau. I checked the alignment, it is perfect. I don’t have a rubber dampener on the front sprocket. RE the engine bars: I do have a gap. I’ll cut open a bicycle tube and see if I can fit it between the contact points. I’ll let you know if it helps. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi all,
Just an update. It was the bash plate.

I took the bash plate and engine bars off and went for a ride. The noise came back when I reassembled the bash plate, but not the engine bars. I re-glued the thick rubber dampeners on the bash plate with gorilla glue and placed a bicycle tube between metal on metal contact points between the bash plate and bike. I also added a bicycle tube around the spacer between the engine bars. The sound is still there.

My next step is add a JT front sprocket with rubber dampener and upgrade the bicycle tube on the bash plate with something thicker. Let me know if you see a weakness in my plan. I’m pretty determined to get that smooth sound back!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
When I installed a bash plate on my 1000 it amplified every noise the motor made. It was very annoying I was looking for solutions and had decided to use spray on rubber type undercoating to dampen the noise.

Strange thing happened after riding it around for a few weeks. I got used to the noise to the point that I didn't really notice it anymore. I do wear earplugs when I ride.

Motorcycle motors are noisy you're sitting right on top of them too. Get used to the normal racket so when something does go wrong you'll notice right away!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I put a solid front sprocket on my 2014 650 and I see no difference in the noise generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts