1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the thread bout the pump swap

Then there is that Polaris R/R

Fuel Filter bypass filter

Could we have a section with actual parts and where to get them ?

No BS just references

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If I don't buy parts from my local dealer, I use Oneida Suzuki or Ron Ayers.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I think anybody looking for parts should be using a search function.

·
Registered
824 Posts

I agree, then you can wade through 30 pages of crap unrelated to what you are looking for.
makes much more sense than seeking out the knowledge of someone who has actually used and acquired what you are looking for.
Someone who shares your entusiasm for your bike and is glad to help

·
Registered
335 Posts
^^Couldn't agree more! Why else would sites like this exist....it baffles me why people have such a hard time avoiding threads they are tired of hearing about/answering, and feel the need to post some crummy "search and ye shall find" reply...thanks for the help....or the lack thereof...

I understand there are things that have been covered, and covered, and covered again, but that is part of the problem. When you "search" for commonly asked question, you get more than enough threads about it....it seems easier to just answer the question, or ignore the thread...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

Where I work, the person coming up with the ideas is usually the one tasked to research and implement them. By now GW could tell everybody here to piss off and figgure it out for thierselfs with a clear concience.

Anyone who disagrees with him should be happy to assemble this compendium.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If everyone used the search function to get answers to their questions then most of this website should have most of the threads "locked" and not allow further postings.

Every single aspect of our bikes have already been hashed out, hundreds, if not thousands of times. Every bolt, screw, knob, etc... has been covered extensively..... telling someone to "search" for archived info is equal to saying "we don't need new posts" - ever.

How tight do make XXX, already answered.
How much oil do I put in XXX, already answered.
What camera is best for XXX, already answered.

If we really want to push the "search" method as a way to answer questions, then this is the result.

·
38,103 Posts
The question was about where to get parts. I would think an Internet search would be the best way rather than create a new forum. This site has too many forums already that don't get used properly.

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
Anyone who disagrees with him should be happy to assemble this compendium.
I just performed a Google Search of this word....."compendium".......and only two Stromtrooper threads came up so obviously, it has not been discussed enough here. I think it's time to start a new thread on this word..........:biggrinjester:

Hi Norm........!!!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Per chance as has happened before my meaning was not clear I actually was referring to substitution parts as a description.

This was prompted by the current thread about a reasonably priced fuel pump substitution. If I need one a year (longer I hope) than maybe I will recall, search, and successfully find this current thread,

ANother would be wheel and other bearings where the bearing number and type are known and perhaps a competent supplier price and delivery

The new series r/r shindengen 755 as a polaris part and the connector kit

Yes I can wade through and sometimes unearth these elsewhere but my thought is if someone could just throw it up there then why not.

Perhaps this runs a fowl of paid advertisers and if so I can see it not being done as a community compendium

mee out

·
38,103 Posts
A sticky thread in the relevant model forums can work. If somebody posts such, I can stick it. Some info follows.

What are the sizes & numbers of the important bearings? lists bearings, Local bearing suppliers are my favorite place to go. Amazon is also a good source. I would stick to Japanese, American and European suppliers.

Rectifier/regulators, see Series Regulators for Enhanced Stator Reliability
I got my SH775 as a Polaris part from Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse #10
Be aware I'm testing the SH775, not recommending it. I'm not sure it won't overheat in the summer in heavy traffic yet.

The fuel pump substitution is only for all Vees and Wees from 2004-2006.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
A sticky thread in the relevant model forums can work. If somebody posts such, I can stick it. Some info follows.
Great idea for Rich

A compendium (plural: compendia) is a concise, yet comprehensive compilation of a body of knowledge

A sticky entitled "The great Lexicon of Norm" would come in handy also

·
Registered
74 Posts
Per chance as has happened before my meaning was not clear I actually was referring to substitution parts as a description.

This was prompted by the current thread about a reasonably priced fuel pump substitution. If I need one a year (longer I hope) than maybe I will recall, search, and successfully find this current thread,

ANother would be wheel and other bearings where the bearing number and type are known and perhaps a competent supplier price and delivery

Yes I can wade through and sometimes unearth these elsewhere but my thought is if someone could just throw it up there then why not.

Perhaps this runs a fowl of paid advertisers and if so I can see it not being done as a community compendium

mee out
Nice post. Excellent grasp of the lexicon. Methinks. "a fowl", did u mean it runs a bird of paid advertisers? flipping the bird? Laffed my butt off! (afoul?) Fare thee well.

On the other hand, it would be convenient to have a cross-reference database to have a looksee at. Time and money-saver.

On the third hand, unrelated to this post, back in the late 80's, my buddy and I were changing the starter motor on his 84 dodge truck, 225cu in slant six. Parts guy wanted $179.00. I asked for price on 1972 Valiant with I-6, asked to see it, $58.00, same exact unit. Perfect fitment. I gots me a case of beer(Labatt's) for that contribution to the scenario. So, having a place to find "what fits what" could be useful. I'm thrifty, I love a bargain.

sorry for TTP'ing thread. smudge.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts

mee out
A very good point. Finding information well after the fact (post) can be tedious and frustrating.

Seems to be the type of thing that should be on the wiki: http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/
A possibility?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts