StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Immediatelly when I start the bike the revs go a bit higher and after a few seconds they lower a bit, which is normal. Then a little of gray smoke comes out and after a few minutes it stops ''smoking''. The smoke is not very intense, but it is visible.
Is this a sign of a problem or just normal thing when starting the bike at 5 degrees Celsius and the bike runs a bit richer until it reaches normal operating temperature?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grey and acrid. So I would say not a problem with cooling fluid and also since it is not bluish not a problem with oil leakeage.
Haven't looked at it when driving, so cannot comment on behaviour with engine braking.

As I said, the smoke is not very intense, it is more like when it is very cold outside and you can see the water vapur when starting an engine. But it is not white, it is grey.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Or is it just condensation?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or is it just condensation?
I thought so, but it is grey and condensation is white, also there is quite strong acrid smell.
I will try to make a video next week, forgot to do this yesterday...

PS: The bike should have only 13.000km and I still need to replace spark plugs (original ones) and air filter (probably also the same from factory). Oil and oil filter were just replaced.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Immediatelly when I start the bike the revs go a bit higher and after a few seconds they lower a bit, which is normal. Then a little of gray smoke comes out and after a few minutes it stops ''smoking''. The smoke is not very intense, but it is visible.
Is this a sign of a problem or just normal thing when starting the bike at 5 degrees Celsius and the bike runs a bit richer until it reaches normal operating temperature?
5ºC/41ºF is cool weather. If it is starting and running normally, and the "smoke" (water vapor, maybe?) is not opaque and dissipates quickly, it's probably just condensation formed when the hot exhaust gas comes in contact with the cold exhaust system. To me this sounds like what you have.
If it is thicker, present most of the time and has a smell like burnt oil and burnt anti freeze together, that's maybe exactly what it is. A bad head gasket, warped head or hairline crack(s) in the head or cylinder block will allow coolant to seep into the combustion chamber and produce grayish smoke when it burns, and is thicker than normal cold engine vapor but thinner than bright blue oil smoke. If your oil level is magically increasing and turning cloudy or milkshake-like, you may have coolant getting into the oil. I'd check both for level and condition
If they are ok, as I suspect they will be, ride another 150,000 km and check back. :grin2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) I agree with you, but I really haven't seen an engine do such thing when cold. New owner, so a little bit on the nerves about things ;).
Anyway, oil was ok, I will check coolant next week, but if I remember correctly it was nothing not normal...

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had some grey smoke earlier this year. Smelled like unburned fuel. More when revved, pulling away from stops, after idling for a while. Injectors needed cleaned. That totally solved my problem.

If it only "smokes" in cooler weather when its first started, it's condensation. You see it from cars all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
New owner, so a little bit on the nerves about things ;)
This explains everything.

It's just condensation evaporating for the first few minutes of cold weather operation. Totally normal.

On the old Vees (with two pipes) every new owner would panic on the first cold day when they saw all the steam coming out of the left pipe and none from the right pipe. It's just where the condensation collects on that model.

It should burn off in a couple of minutes once the exhaust warms up to operating temp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So today I had time to recheck everything and it looks like it is really just condensation.
It took cca. 1 minute for the smoke to start coming out of the tailpipe (temperature needed to get higher in the exhaust since it was 0 degrees Ceslsius) and it even wasn't greyish, but normal condensation.
I also checked cooling fluid and it is visible that it is old, but there were no signs of oil or any other contamination.

Thx to all for responding and sorry for losing your time; false alarm :). I will need to understand that Vees do not break down, lool.

Here is also a photo I took, although it was already dark and it is not really visible on the photo, that it is only condensation.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,863 Posts
It's all good, we were all new to motorcycles once........we live and learn and there are no stupid questions. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts