Strom Trooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New rider, looking at getting my first bike and aiming towards the V-strom 650 to enjoy the winding roads of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome from Victoria. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I ride a 650 Strom around Victoria once in a while. Sure can't complain.
To ride motorcycles at all is a much bigger decision than what bike to ride. Just get one. It won't be long til you have a different one, or another one, or none at all. Welcome. Ride wrecklessly with a W.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've had my 650 since 2013, bought it new, and in the last two years have been looking for another bike but at the beginning of a new riding season I start it up, dress up and have a good long ride and always come back happy. You'll enjoy the ride and especially the reliability. I have 45,000 kms on the bike now without any issues.

A few things you may want to consider, I have a 32" inseam and can't flat foot it when stopped so be aware especially if you have a slow speed stall. With the big fuel tank it like many adventure bikes are not the most balanced of bikes in this type of situation so be aware. (Glad I installed the SW-Motech crash bars and good solid Barkbuster hand guards).

Once you get a few kms breaking the motorcycle and tires in may I suggest the Pacific Marine Circle Route - Victoria to Port Renfrew to Lake Cowichan to Duncan (on the old road) and back to Victoria.

Enjoy whatever bike you choose. See you on the road one day perhaps.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Hola, take pictures while tooling around the island. Wife and I only saw the Southern portion too long ago.
Makes me wonder though, how long can an island captivate ones riding desires. But the ferry boats are there to take you to the rest of BC and beyond. Or to the Washington's Olympic peninsula.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hola, take pictures while tooling around the island. Wife and I only saw the Southern portion too long ago.
Makes me wonder though, how long can an island captivate ones riding desires. But the ferry boats are there to take you to the rest of BC and beyond. Or to the Washington's Olympic peninsula.
It's the 80/20 rule. 80 percent of your riding will probably be in the area you live. 20 percent will be for the adventure, getting out and going for a ride. Most of the get togethers nowadays are based around food, going for coffee and such. With this in mind, there are a lot of great places to meet all over the island so a ride to an up island destination is quite fun. Tofino is more than a day run, Port Alberni is a day run, but you need a good day and start out early.

The Port Renfrew loop - Victoria to Port Renfrew, over to Lake Cowichan and Duncan and back to Victoria - approx 300 Kms and a nice ride - slower with the Mrs on the pillion, and faster with just the boys. Stop at Shirley Delicious in Shirley, well attended eclectic cafe en route, Tomi's just as you enter Port Renfrew is a good lunch spot. We've gone there and back just for the burger and soup.

A short ride up to Chemainus is nice. Take the ocean route once past Mill Bay. Cowichan Bay is a good spot for coffee, but we prefer to go to the Willow Street Cafe in Chemainus, has the best scones on the island IMHO. It's the town of many murals.

A little jaunt up to Coombs to the Goats on the Roof.

Couple of pics of Chemainus and the last one of the Port Renfrew Loop.

Lots to do and see, but yes, have to get off the rock every now and then. Besides, life's too short to sweat the small stuff.

Cheers

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts