StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm trading in my 2005 Yamaha V-Star custom tomorrow for a 2011 DL650 ABS, in black. I loved the v-star, but I am even more excited about picking up the new ride. Hope I can sleep tonight...

I found this site on the weekend, and it looks like a great forum. I look forward to benefiting from your experiences, as well as contributing myself.

Bye for now,

Midnight

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome to the forum! My '05 Wee Strom arrives tomorrow too! Can't wait to hit the road. Hope you enjoy yours.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Some of the best roads in Ontario

Find you way west to Foymount and Quadeville on the Letterkenny road and you will appreciate your new bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, it's a fun bike! For those in the area, I work downtown, and had a stressful ride to Orleans along the queensway, in rush hour, in the rain, to trade in the v-star for the strom.

Ive never ridden anything other than cruisers before, so the new tires, and new riding position had me a little nervous. Once i climbed aboard the v-strom, and made it out of the dealership lot, I couldn't wipe the smile from my face. I took the very, very long way to the south end, and put on 130 kms, before I finally made it home, fairly wet, but very happy!

Happy riding everyone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds exciting! I just joined the group too, and I'm also from Ottawa. I've been prowling all our back roads all over the Ottawa Valley for years on my VS800 Intruder, and I'm looking to move soon to WeeStrom. After a couple of years of thinking it over, I've decided this is the year, as I want to explore further afield on more decrepit roads (like QuadeVille, as the other writer mentions...I've been all through that area on the Intruder and I'm tempted by the side-side roads, not all of them paved). I also plan to start doing some overnight touring/camping to explore some new territory.

I'm just waiting for the right bike to come along at the right price, as I've decided to buy a previously loved model. Hopefully we'll cross paths some day.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Man, it's a fun bike! For those in the area, I work downtown, and had a stressful ride to Orleans along the queensway, in rush hour, in the rain, to trade in the v-star for the strom.

Ive never ridden anything other than cruisers before, so the new tires, and new riding position had me a little nervous. Once i climbed aboard the v-strom, and made it out of the dealership lot, I couldn't wipe the smile from my face. I took the very, very long way to the south end, and put on 130 kms, before I finally made it home, fairly wet, but very happy!

Happy riding everyone.
Sounds like you need a ride through Centennial Lake Road via the Calobogie 508-511 route to recover from the 417 trauma. Highly recommended if you haven't ridden it before.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm showing up on July 10th to spend two weeks with the inlaws in Orleans. I'm trailering the bike up to a ride in with a buddy of mine in Stittsville so I'll post up some detes when we've finalized them and maybe we can organize a gtg at some point.

Oh, and Welcome to the club! ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds great Fyrman!

Jameskie: The past few years a buddy and I have gone from Ottawa to La Mauricie National Park, very close to Shawville, QC. There's plenty of campsites, some really stunning elevated views and some great swimming spots, and wildlife (saw my first brown bear there two years ago -- fortunately the size of a medium dog) but the real draw is the road through the park. 75 kms of non-stop twists and turns, and plenty of elevation changes that I know I am going to appreciate on a new level this year. You can ride there comfortably in less than a day, ride the road from one end to the other, and then backtrack to find a campsite. When you wake the next day, you can tear that road up back and forth again and head back, or leave the park on the far side, which if my memory serves me, is within a short drive to Trois Rivieres. It does cost $10 to enter the park, but that keeps the traffic very light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts