StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mark from Ohio here, been through 4 bikes since last August and finally got a 2006 dl1000. Started on a shadow 600, went to an intruder 1500, then to an FJR, but always admired these bikes. Anyway what's with the bike at 3,500-4,000 rpm it's very hesitant and backfires if held in that range. Any other rpm range and it feels very strong but it's driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated. Ride safe!

·
Registered
15,601 Posts
They all do that, 1000cc, until you clean up the TPS or something like that. Google in the little box at the top of the page about backfire and hesitation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to your V Strom! There is a crazy amount of information on this form. As for your 3500 rpm backfire, could be fuel or electrical. Initial thought without more info is a throttle body out of sync or “lean” condition problem if every else seems to run fine. A throttle body sync is pretty easy to do, check out You Tube. Also, the intake boots can crack and may start to leak over overtime causing it to run lean, pop and backfire. Fuel filters get clogged which might cause loss of power, but the symptoms are a little different. Also, the rpm range you’re describing is the classic clutch “chudder” rpm range, but that’s more of a vibration issue not really a loss of power or backfire issue, there’s a cure for that (Werks basket). Anyhow, I’m sure you’ll figure it out, chances are it’s something someone has fixed before and posted it here. It’s a great bike! Best wishes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah so I've put a few hundred miles on it since last week and the popping is coming from the air box I believe. She runs great except for the mentioned time range and sometimes dies when coming to a stop...Also when I first started it if it runs for a few minutes it backfires and will shut off too. Thanks for the help, been doing a lot of research and will hopefully have it figured out soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome! What's the history of the bike? I'm assuming you've dome all the regular maintenance items... plugs, filter, etc.
I know people have had good success with sorting out lean-issues at the RPM's you speak of with a Power Commander. There should be lots of good info in the forums. SEARCH is your friend! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure of the history, I've had it about two weeks now and it came with a small stack of records for oil changes and stuff but that's it. Judging by the condition and expensive upgrades I would believe it's been decently maintained. (The receipt for the side boxes, exhaust, and Corbin seat was over $2000 alone.) Today I rode for a couple hours and it died almost every time I engaged the clutch to come to a stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts