StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks. Have not been on a bike in many years (83 was the last time I owned a bike) but am now looking at the Wee Strom 650 ABS as my new commute vehicle.

Does anyone know the price difference between the ABS and non-ABS version of the Wee Strom?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The MRSP difference is $500. Due to the short supply of ABS models, the real world difference is often more.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm ok - There is a local dealer with an 08' DL650 ABS that they have priced at 7499+597 freight+398 setup.

It's just tagged at that price - no idea if they deal or not...

·
38,048 Posts
Freight and setup are bogus charges. They are pure money makers for the dealer.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Freight and setup are bogus charges. They are pure money makers for the dealer.
Are they really? The bike comes in a crate and must be assembled by the mechanic. Does the dealership just eat this cost?

The really bogus charge is the documentation fee.

·
38,048 Posts
Freight and prep charges are included in the invoice price on Japanese motorcycles. Suzuki pays the freight and allows $50 for uncrating. It's a job that takes less than 30 minutes. It's mostly just putting on the front wheel. Title, tags and taxes are the necessary additions. Paperwork take time and I don't mind that as an add-on if the rest of the deal is good. I paid $6779.50 for my 2007 ABS DL650 at Honda East of Toledo then added tax and title for Illinois.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the excellent responses gentlemen. One more question. If I plan to perform the preponderance of maintainance on the bike myself, what tools would constitute the core of what I would need to maintain the bike?

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Hmmm ok - There is a local dealer with an 08' DL650 ABS that they have priced at 7499+597 freight+398 setup.

It's just tagged at that price - no idea if they deal or not...
I'd have to agree with Greywolf. The setup cost are almost laughable. There are two new 08 650 ABS up here in Seattle that are going for $7100 + ~$500 freight, no setup cost.

Once my car sells, there will be only one of those left at that dealership.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you for the excellent responses gentlemen. One more question. If I plan to perform the preponderance of maintainance on the bike myself, what tools would constitute the core of what I would need to maintain the bike?
Assuming you're starting from nothing... I'll just brainstorm here:

Metric Allen Wrenches
Metric Socket Wrench/Set
Metric boxhead wrench set
Filter wrench
Small Funnel
Oil Drain Pan
Bit-driver type screwdriver with #1, #2, and #3 Phillips head bits.
Needlenose Pliers
2' length of 3/4" pipe (breaker bar for leverage when torquing down rear axle nut after adjusting the chain)
Torque wrench (sorta pricey, but it's just nice to have. Cheap, decent ones can be found on eBay.)

Materials:
Kerosene (for cleaning the chain)
DuPont Teflon Chain Lube (It's a superior chain lube. Also good for lubing control cables. Sold only at Lowes.)
Molybdenum grease (red)

That's pretty much what's in my dedicated "Bike Toolbox" at least.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.

Couple of questions though. Where do you find Kerosene? I asked at:

Target
Big 5 sporting goods
Harbor Freight
Lowes
Home Depot

No dice - Half the people I asked at those places had never heard of Kerosene...

Also - How do you dispose of your spent oil?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can't find kerosene? I'm in South Carolina and kerosene is as popular as diesel fuel or gasoline, its sold at every gas station. If you can't find kerosene go to a autoparts store and see if they sell the engine cleaner, the kind you pour in you oil before a oil change, its the same thing as kerosene.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Thanks.

Couple of questions though. Where do you find Kerosene? I asked at:

Target
Big 5 sporting goods
Harbor Freight
Lowes
Home Depot

No dice - Half the people I asked at those places had never heard of Kerosene...

Also - How do you dispose of your spent oil?
I bought mine at Lowes. One gallon container, probably last a life time. :D Also, Ace Hardware had it in one gallon and five gallon containers. Both places had it in the paint section.

It can be filtered (to get the chunks out :p) and reused for quite a while. I have heard some oil recycling places may take it, but I can not confirm that. I use my old stuff for fire starter in the fire pit.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aparently the first genius I asked at Lowes (who did not even know what it was) was incorrect as I found it in the paint department.

Thanks gents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts