StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Stromers, I am riding the "red rambler" to Indy the end of the month. I am generally going US 421 through NC, Tenn., and Kentucky. Beat feet out of NC and get to areas not readily explored from Greensboro. The intention is to avoid the larger cities and collect a few National Park stamps.

Any places/roads I shouldn't miss? It is about 650 to get there so I was going to take two days to get there. Consequently I have some time to do some exploring.

Mostly interested in Kentucky and So. Indiana. I know about motorcycleroads. us, but I am after some local recommendations for roads, places to see, local places to eat.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Go old school. I have GPS and it's invaluable but not for the kind of advice you are looking for. Go to a bookstore and buy one of those vinyl covered Rand McNally atlases (is that a word? :)). They designate great roads with ............... I haven't been disappointed yet.

http://store.randmcnally.com/category/road+atlases.do

I just have the old school one not the Harley flavor but you never know when you might need some chrome polish :)

As for grub make sure it's not a chain and there a goodly number of cars in the parking lot.

Say hi to Brendan for us !

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have already gotten info from the tourist office. I was hoping to get into some local knowledge and/or someone who has passed through the area.
It is like know about "Snappy's" pork chop sandwich in Mt. Airy. Or the little restaurant in the village of West Dove NS.

Just want it to be travel and not a trip!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
In Indiana you want to come up 135 through brown county into Nashville. Thats a neat little tourist trap so you might want to wonder around a bit. Head straight north from Nashville and its a decent ride with a few twists. To find nice twisties towards Indianapolis you want to go west aiming to miss Indy and then cut over when you get along side.

If you need a place to crash or wrench send me a PM. I live on the south side of Indy and can probably arrange a few folks to ride with if you were here on the weekend.

-GW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts