StromTrooper banner

Greensboro area riders.

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Chris_KitKat_Green 
#1 ·
Anyone in the Greensboro / Piedmont NC area?

#11 ·
I like to just explore. I'm not a racer or a dirt biker. I'm older. I like to cruze up to VA on 89 and I want to do the BRP at this end. I did the southern part from The Dragon to Ashville. I usually cruze 311 to 89 and then up into VA on 8. I plan on going to meet my friend in Alabama to ride the mountains down there. I'd like to go to the coast. I moved out here from Sacramento CA area where I rode the Sierras quite a bit.

#19 ·
How far from Greensboro or Winston Salem is the fun riding roads? Not necessarily looking for carving canyons, but looking for relaxing and beautiful roads to ride outside of city traffic. I am considering moving to WS. Also how long is the riding season in the area?

#20 · (Edited)
Well, the Uwharrie National Forest is decent and about an hour south of Greensboro. From Winston, the BRP is ~1hr away and that's kinda the gateway to the rest of the spectacular roads. I don't know the roads much farther east of 77 than Route 8 through VA. Squirrel's Spur, Piper's Gap, etc in the NC/VA border about 30min north of Winston is good. West of King/Tobaccoville is pretty good.

Really, though, the best in the area is heading into the NC/TN border. The start of the "good stuff" can't be more than an hour or 90-minutes from Winston-Salem, but you can find "decent" without too much searching. Ride towards the mountain lakes (Toxaway, Lure, etc), towards Tail of the Dragon, towards Gatlinburg. Hard to be disappointed.

Riding season is a personal thing, right? I rode most of February & March this year (I'm in Greenville, SC...but not much warmer here and I was in a summer jacket), but it was in the 30s in the mornings in January and April, so I opted to be a cager through those months. Midsummer often has some oppressive heat that can turn some people away from bikes. If you have good winter gear and some heated gear, you could ride year-round with little issue. In the mountains it'll be notably colder and snowier than in the foothills and plains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.