StromTrooper banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thank you very much for the detailed response. I noticed that most of these areas you mentioned seem closer to Greenville SC than Winston. Another difference I noticed, from reading on the internet is that Greenville SC seems to not have as much snow as Winston. Seems they do not even salt the roads in Greenville in winter. I am trying to get away from snow and cold long winters in the Midwest.

You are right, riding season is a personal thing. I consider any months without snow or ice as riding season. Guess I should have mentioned it in my post. :smile2: Again Greenville seems to be the better choice in this matter.

Well, the Uwharrie National Forest is decent and about an hour south of Greensboro. From Winston, the BRP is ~1hr away and that's kinda the gateway to the rest of the spectacular roads. I don't know the roads much farther east of 77 than Route 8 through VA. Squirrel's Spur, Piper's Gap, etc in the NC/VA border about 30min north of Winston is good. West of King/Tobaccoville is pretty good.

Really, though, the best in the area is heading into the NC/TN border. The start of the "good stuff" can't be more than an hour or 90-minutes from Winston-Salem, but you can find "decent" without too much searching. Ride towards the mountain lakes (Toxaway, Lure, etc), towards Tail of the Dragon, towards Gatlinburg. Hard to be disappointed.

Riding season is a personal thing, right? I rode most of February & March this year (I'm in Greenville, SC...but not much warmer here and I was in a summer jacket), but it was in the 30s in the mornings in January and April, so I opted to be a cager through those months. Midsummer often has some oppressive heat that can turn some people away from bikes. If you have good winter gear and some heated gear, you could ride year-round with little issue. In the mountains it'll be notably colder and snowier than in the foothills and plains.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you very much for the detailed response. I noticed that most of these areas you mentioned seem closer to Greenville SC than Winston. Another difference I noticed, from reading on the internet is that Greenville SC seems to not have as much snow as Winston. Seems they do not even salt the roads in Greenville in winter. I am trying to get away from snow and cold long winters in the Midwest.

You are right, riding season is a personal thing. I consider any months without snow or ice as riding season. Guess I should have mentioned it in my post. :smile2: Again Greenville seems to be the better choice in this matter.
My parents live in MtAiry (just north of Winston) and that's where I grew up. I know that area fairly well as mist of my miles are out of there as a basecamp.

As for riding season up there: My dad rides and rode to work in Clemmons (south of Winston) in those same months. I'd safely say 9 months of riding with no worries. With a little cold tolerance, you can easily ride 12 year-round. What little snow falls doesn't last long.

Winston does get more snow, but next to nothing is more than essentially nothing... same applies.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Well, the Uwharrie National Forest is decent and about an hour south of Greensboro. From Winston, the BRP is ~1hr away and that's kinda the gateway to the rest of the spectacular roads. I don't know the roads much farther east of 77 than Route 8 through VA. Squirrel's Spur, Piper's Gap, etc in the NC/VA border about 30min north of Winston is good. West of King/Tobaccoville is pretty good.

Really, though, the best in the area is heading into the NC/TN border. The start of the "good stuff" can't be more than an hour or 90-minutes from Winston-Salem, but you can find "decent" without too much searching. Ride towards the mountain lakes (Toxaway, Lure, etc), towards Tail of the Dragon, towards Gatlinburg. Hard to be disappointed.

Riding season is a personal thing, right? I rode most of February & March this year (I'm in Greenville, SC...but not much warmer here and I was in a summer jacket), but it was in the 30s in the mornings in January and April, so I opted to be a cager through those months. Midsummer often has some oppressive heat that can turn some people away from bikes. If you have good winter gear and some heated gear, you could ride year-round with little issue. In the mountains it'll be notably colder and snowier than in the foothills and plains.
I do a lot of riding in and around Uwharrie National Forest, and it's a lot of fun. There's a lot of gravel to ride on in Uwharrie which gives you that "away from civilization" feeling without it being too technical. The roads surrounding Uwharrie are great too; I've been keeping .gpx files of them for a couple years now.

Western NC is also terrific. I made a big loop of a bunch of waterfalls out that way a couple years ago. It was a great ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Idk if you guys are still on this thread, but I’d be down for any of this riding. Is there a way for us to create a group of us, where we could post up these rides? (Sorry, I’m new to Stromtrooper and don’t quote know how to operate it yet) ;).

21 - 24 of 24 Posts