StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to gather folks from here, ADVRider and the Vancouver V-Stroms FB group for a meet-up early this season, as a prelude to some rides this year.

Tentatively thinking about March 4, weather dependent. We would meet at the Knight and Day at Lougheed and Boundary for breakfast at 9:30, head over to the Deeley museum, then retire to the Steamworks Tasting Room for some refreshments.

Anyone interested, stay tuned here. :smile2:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the original date was February 25th, this Sunday, and it's going ahead. Details as follows:

This started out as a planned meet-up on ADVRider, a great forum. The meetup is going ahead this Sunday, despite the fact that it will be tough to ride. The loose schedule is:

9:30 - breakfast at Knight and Day
11:00ish - head to the Deeley Museum
2:00ish - retire to Steamworks

If you are looking to do something motorcycle related this weekend, please RSVP and let us know you are coming. There are about 10 of us right now.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully some of you folks are considering joining us. There will be a total of about 10-15 between ADVRider and the Vancouver V-stroms group on FB. Stromtroopers unite! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had a great meet up yesterday. I think the snow from Friday kept many away, but we had a total of 8. It was nice to meet folks from one of the forums.

There will be rides, etc. arranged this year. I'll keep you updated - I can tell you are ALL at the edges of your seats!

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
I'll certainly be up for a group ride at some point. Just too damn busy at the moment.

Years ago, we had a very active local group that would meet for breakfast once a month. Sometimes just a ride around the valley. Sometimes over the Duffy Lake Road, picking up the Squamish folk along the way.

Most have moved on and are no longer frequenters of the forum.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well now there are new guys like me and we can reactivate those rides!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'll certainly be up for a group ride at some point. Just too damn busy at the moment.

Years ago, we had a very active local group that would meet for breakfast once a month. Sometimes just a ride around the valley. Sometimes over the Duffy Lake Road, picking up the Squamish folk along the way.

Most have moved on and are no longer frequenters of the forum.
Hey there Dan! Hope your doing well.

Moved to Osoyoos last fall, looking forward to checking out some local rides. Hedley - Nickel Plate looks like one to try.

Good on ya ommoran - keeping the spirit alive.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Hey there Dan! Hope your doing well.

Moved to Osoyoos last fall, looking forward to checking out some local rides. Hedley - Nickel Plate looks like one to try.

Good on ya ommoran - keeping the spirit alive.
Hiya Brian,

Looks like you'll have to change your handle to BC - .65K

I imagine you're riding Anarchist at least once daily? Maybe we can get a group together to do a trip out that way.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Time to resurrect this thread.

My old beast needs some non-commuting miles.

I'm in Langley and am up for Sunday morning breakfast rides in any direction as long as I'm home before dark.

Any takers for a Sunday in April?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there used to be a regular group of V-Strom riders who would meet up once a month on a Sunday for a breakfast and ride, but it petered out a few years back. It would be great to get it going again. The ride was always designed to suit the riders involved - off pavement if everyone wanted, or on-pavement if that was the consensus - usually on pavement. We would even sometimes arrange the breakfast point to suit folks out of town, like Squamish or Hope. If some folks wanted to peel off after an hour or two, that was fine. Some rides were the full Duffy Lake loop or just a Fort Langley-Matsqui loop. It was great for new riders to get acquainted.

Chime in if you're interested. I'm going to suggest Sunday, April 7, because my other Sundays in April are tied up.

Who's in?

(You don't need to ride a Suzuki.)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi,

I'd definitely be interested. I was just thinking about starting a thread asking if any GVRD area riders are interested in a meet up. I'm likely good for a ride, but also, I definitely hope to get some route advice from locals about rides and routes that include some modest off-pavement time. I'm in Van, around Queen E park.

My riding style is non-aggressive and my speed tends towards the legal, plus the 'stay with traffic' factor. You lead, I'll follow.

So, I'm marking the day whether for a short ride and a long lunch, or longer ride and multiple snack stops.

PM-able if you want to chat before hand.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Hi,

I'd definitely be interested. I was just thinking about starting a thread asking if any GVRD area riders are interested in a meet up. I'm likely good for a ride, but also, I definitely hope to get some route advice from locals about rides and routes that include some modest off-pavement time. I'm in Van, around Queen E park.

My riding style is non-aggressive and my speed tends towards the legal, plus the 'stay with traffic' factor. You lead, I'll follow.

So, I'm marking the day whether for a short ride and a long lunch, or longer ride and multiple snack stops.

PM-able if you want to chat before hand.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life.
Okay - that's two signed up for April 7. Who else is going to commit? Good excuse to insure your bike if it's not on the road...

(Just looked at the long range forecast which shows that to be the first of a few wet days, but maybe the rain gods will be a day late.)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks @larolco

I can tolerate some humidity (look at where I live) but if it looks like serious wetness, I'd opt for a chat 'n chew or a delay. But I'm definitely keen on a ride. Got to get the first 1000 kms done for the first service.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@larolco
I think I sent you a PM, but its not showing up in my 'sent messages' list. Tomorrow looking substandard in terms of weather, and there is a lurking possibility of a work obligation that would mess up my riding time.

Did you get my PM? Any thoughts about the ride and a reschedule?

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
@larolco
I think I sent you a PM, but its not showing up in my 'sent messages' list. Tomorrow looking substandard in terms of weather, and there is a lurking possibility of a work obligation that would mess up my riding time.

Did you get my PM? Any thoughts about the ride and a reschedule?
Hah, I'm just checking in now. The monsoon downpour Friday night/Saturday morning made me forget all about this. (Yes, your PM showed up :grin2:)

I've also, rather unfortunately, broken the big toe of my left foot, which makes upshifting slightly unenjoyable at the moment.

I'm sure a better weekend for all will come along soon enough.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Installed new chain and sprockets yesterday (good use of a rainy afternoon) and figured I'd best try them out today. Went for a blast up Mt. Baker and a burger and beer at the bottom.

Road is in good shape, not much sand at all, except for on the tight hairpins near the top, very light traffic. Was able to de-square my rear tire a little bit. 0:) Border wait at Sumas was exactly 2 cars on the way down, 0 on the way up.

Riding season is here. Well, every season is riding season for me, but now the weather's decent.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts