StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my Wee, it came with a Madstad bracket and windshield courtesy of the PO. He also cut a hole in the shield, I assume to improve air flow.

While I enjoyed riding the bike, not so much if it was windy. Compared to my last bike, this one was really twitchy and would react forcefully to even moderate gusts. I read a lot of threads here about riding in the wind and tried all sorts of settings on the bracket, which helped, but if figured it was just something I had to live with.

The PO threw in a few extras, including a shorty tinted shield. Since it was summer I put it on last weekend to make the ride a bit cooler.

WOW!! What a difference in how the bike handles the wind. I get a lot more wind on my body and head, but there's no buffeting at all. And the bike hardly notices breezes that would have had it dancing before. :thumbup:

The small shield is a Suzuki product, but it's apparently only available through European dealers. :confused: But, if you want to try, or you live where you can buy one locally, the part number is 990D0-27G55-SMO.

Here’s a link to a UK dealer that shows a picture of the windshield. V-Strom Sporty Screen - £82.55

My apologies if this has alread been reported, but I didn’t see it in a search for the part number and it’s so cool I wanted to share.

PS – I don’t know why the Madstad shield caused me so many problems (maybe the hole?) but I’m not putting it back on. Any suggestions for what I should use instead when the weather cools off?

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
PS – I don’t know why the Madstad shield caused me so many problems (maybe the hole?) but I’m not putting it back on. Any suggestions for what I should use instead when the weather cools off?
Had no Idea that Madstad made a shiled, I have the bracket and am really happy. I use a tall GIVI shield, have thought of using a vstream shield, but wife says I only need one shield . Go to Gary at Pat Walsh Design for a Givi shield http://patwalshdesigns.com/V-strom-Accessories/Givi-Windshield/25.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Want to sell that Madstad Jack? I'm interested.
Sorry, but the Madstad was damaged in a minor tip-over, which was part of the decision to go ahead and swap shields when I did.

When I said the Madstad wasn't going back on, I meant that I wouldn't want it back after seeing the difference. But it wouldn't go back on any case since it's cracked in two. I regret the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have the madstad bracket with a 20" madstad adventure screen, perfect for me no buffeting no twitchyness in high winds, Strom tracks fine

·
Registered
244 Posts
+1 on this. I'm enjoying this combination. The windshield is wider at the outside lower corners and gives better protection to my hands.
i just ordered this same set up (20" smoke) - for the same reason. i wanted a bit more width and did not feel the extra length of the givi would be of any use for my riding style.

i had the fortune of being able to borrow a madstad and hooked it up to my OEM screen... it took several weeks to dial it in right, but once i hit the right setting it was like a sweet spot appeared out of thin air (pun intended).

i'm not sure i'll gain anything with the madstad 20" shield - but i like the looks of the smoke and the fact that i won't need the flimsy OEM screw covers any more.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i just ordered this same set up (20" smoke) - for the same reason. i wanted a bit more width and did not feel the extra length of the givi would be of any use for my riding style.

i had the fortune of being able to borrow a madstad and hooked it up to my OEM screen... it took several weeks to dial it in right, but once i hit the right setting it was like a sweet spot appeared out of thin air (pun intended).

i'm not sure i'll gain anything with the madstad 20" shield - but i like the looks of the smoke and the fact that i won't need the flimsy OEM screw covers any more.
as suspected - the 20" madstad screen/madstad bracket work very well together. significant improvement from the OEM screen/madstad combo (which was pretty darn good for me). i meant to post my feedback and a few pics of the new set-up a while back...

·
Registered
725 Posts
The small shield is a Suzuki product, but it's apparently only available through European dealers. :confused: But, if you want to try, or you live where you can buy one locally, the part number is 990D0-27G55-SMO.

Here’s a link to a UK dealer that shows a picture of the windshield. V-Strom Sporty Screen - £82.55
I have the euro screen, I got it a couple years ago through a group buy on another forum where a guy imported a stack of them through a dealer in France. It really is the screen the bike should come with.

In winter, I actually put the stock windscreen back on. I know a lot of riders are buffeted around by it, but I find that I'm fine with it in the middle position. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have the 20 inch Madstad Adventure screen and the Madstad bracket. Wonderful!

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Fork brace: great improvement in side wind stability.

·
Registered
24 Posts
as suspected - the 20" madstad screen/madstad bracket work very well together. significant improvement from the OEM screen/madstad combo (which was pretty darn good for me). i meant to post my feedback and a few pics of the new set-up a while back...

Hi S Boy Can I ask how tall you are / inseam? I'm keen to get the sme setup but am wondering if the 20" screen is too tall. Apparently Madstad can also supply an 18" version. Definately is a good look...

·
Registered
244 Posts
charlie_bird i'm 5'11" with 32" inseam... i have the madstad bracket installed at the lowest mount point (to the bike) and the screen works very well adjusted about midway up (with the bracket).

·
Registered
21 Posts
My bike came with the Madstad brackets and a Cal. Sci windshield.

Have to say I'm not impressed. I'm 5'11" and can't find a position that doesn't buffet my head.

Maybe the original setup was worse, but this one isn't great.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i rode a wee with a CalSci (without madstad)... i was surprised at the storm it created. i had to duck my head forward pretty far to get under it. however, i was sure that a madstad would be able to take care of that???

also had the exact same experience with a givi shield.

·
Registered
24 Posts
looking through the smoke screen

One last question s boy, how are you finding riding with the smoke colored screen? Does it affect your vision directly in front of the bike and how is the transition between looking through (down) to looking over? It makes for a great look, but would you buy smoke again or go clear?

·
Registered
244 Posts
charlie... yes i prefer the smoke screen "look" and no it doesn't create any visibility issues for me because i'm never looking through it (not even close).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts