StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After missing the ride to Dubbo because of the Flu then woosing out of the Shellharbour day ride because it was too wet i decieded it was time to get out there and enjoy this great weather were having. I packed the Wee and headed down the Princess Hway to Albion Park then up Macquarie Pass for a Coffee and Apple pie. From there it was through Moss Vale, Bundanoon and into Marulan heading for Swallow Tail Pass.

Swallow tail was as usual very rocky and very rutted but still manageable on A Vstrom taking it easy. I find hill climbs like this are a lot easier with the 14 tooth front sprocket i have fitted. This is the 1st time i have seen the causeway with water running over the top!

From Swallowtail its a short 20 k ride to Taralga where i had lunch and a yarn to a few others out riding.

From Taralga it was over to Laggan then Binda for a quick repair job to the chain guard that had lost a bolt.

Between Trunkey and Neville.

From Binda through Tuena and Trunkey Creek heading for my digs for the night at Neville.

I had seen the Neville Siding on a few other Bike websites that has old railway carriages and Railway stations converted into accommodation. So i rolled up there and was pleasantly surprised at the cost $40 per head per night including a Continental Brekky. I scored the old Mandurama Railway station for my digs. This has been converted into a 2 room cottage with 3 singles in one room and a double and a single in the other. In between is a fully equipped and stocked kitchen/dining area and a shower/ toilet. The pub is a 5 min stroll up the road where they have basic pub meals and the locals were all friendly. I enjoyed my stay at Neville and will go back again. They have a variety of accommodation and can cater for up to about 70 people. A place to keep in mind for a weekend or mid week ride to.

Day 2 i deceided to get onto some of the roads the boys took from Orange to Dubbo last month.
From Neville to Blayney for the bikes 1st refill 404 kls for 17.3 litres.

From Blayney through Millthorpe to the Hway and across to find the Lewis Ponds rd.

Lewis Ponds Road

Heading toward Mullion Creek

From Mullion Creek up to Stuart town and into Wellington.
Out of Wellington on the Goolma-Gulgong rd i took the 12 mile turn off that showed on the map there are roads that cut across country and brings u out just North of Mudgee.

Absolutly no one around most of the dirt roadas are pretty good with the occasional rough stuff, but not rough enuff for the Vstrom.

Into Mudgee for some tucker then down towards Rylstone/Kandos for an overnighter. I have stayed at both the pubs at Rylstone and both are good but decieded to give Kandos a try. Stayed at the Kandos Hotel in the pub rooms $30. Shitty bed then the smoke alarm started to chirp in the middle of the night, Good Roast chickem meal for $7.50 and the beer was cold but couldnt get out of there quick enough. They do have new Motel rooms for a reasonable $75 a single but were all booked out.

Winderemere dam

Next morning i was outta there early and heading to Running Stream to try the famous food. They were just opening as i arrived at 8 am. I ordered a coffee and scrambled eggs with mushrooms mmm mmmmm delicious. I will be back there for food again.

Onto Lithgow were i re fueled 405 kls for 17.0 litres then down the Bells Line to Richmond/ Windsor then Old Winsor Rd to Parramatta over thru Granville, Bankstown and home to Engadine. All up 976 ks.
A great few days riding in this great country of Aus!!
Cheers
Stretch.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Beautiful scenic country around Barry and Neville. I've gotta get out soon to enjoy this short break in the weather. Thanks for post and pics, I'm off to the garage now and will pack light and head out to the central west, where, depends on my first turn, left or right and will see where I end up.
Thanks again for the push!!

Wardy

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Ta Stretch,nice pics and very good info,the balmy spring weather the last few days at work have been hard with the mind drifting to the bike in the shed--one must earn a quid to enjoy such and now the weekend is looking crap :headbang:bosses weather.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Nice report and pics Stretch.

Might have to put that on my "to do" list as well.

What tyres do you have on the bike?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well there you go on the Stretch report 405k the bike took 17 litres,last weekend on flat running out to Hillston into a reasonable head wind and @ 6k rpm 360k--17 litres,meaning not a lot of difference considering the variance of roads--seems one should get 450 easy,yes? :yesnod:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks Stretch for the RR and nice pics. Neville sounds like a good spot for a stay. :thumbsup:

:cheers2:
BOB

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
look like K60's to me

pretty sure Swallowtail pass is on the itinerary for the Illawarra ride, know I'm reallly getting itchy feet :hurray:

Correct Heidi K60s 110 front 140 rear. The front has done just on 7500ks and a few ks left yet. The rear has 6500 ks and has worn flat and feeling pretty ordinary. I have a set of TKC 80s at home waiting to be fitted.

After fitting Sonic 0.95 springs and 10 wt oil to the Forks to match my recently fitted Ohlins shock the ride was pretty impressive. Money spent on the suspension on a Wee turn the bike from a good all rounder to a very capable dual purpose Adventure bike. The K60s are a good all round tyre and i will be interested to see how the TKCs go. All reports i have heard give them good wraps on tar and dirt but as expected with a semi knobby tyre not the best wear rate. If i can get 5k plus out of the rear i will be happy.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Correct Heidi K60s 110 front 140 rear. The front has done just on 7500ks and a few ks left yet. The rear has 6500 ks and has worn flat and feeling pretty ordinary. I have a set of TKC 80s at home waiting to be fitted.

After fitting Sonic 0.95 springs and 10 wt oil to the Forks to match my recently fitted Ohlins shock the ride was pretty impressive. Money spent on the suspension on a Wee turn the bike from a good all rounder to a very capable dual purpose Adventure bike. The K60s are a good all round tyre and i will be interested to see how the TKCs go. All reports i have heard give them good wraps on tar and dirt but as expected with a semi knobby tyre not the best wear rate. If i can get 5k plus out of the rear i will be happy.
Gee Stretch, you must be a bit tough on your tyres, or I'm not. My last set of k60s got something around 9000kms and I've kept them in the garage to re-fit to get another 3000kms out of them. A lot more from the front tyre. Admittedly the rear is what you might say a little flat but still serviceable. A trip nearly two years ago to the Flinders Ranges from the Blue Mountains doesn't help to keep tyres rounded in profile. Similarly my tkc80s got 6500kms F+R and await my next dirt trip to use up the remaining 2/3000kms. I hope that I have another trip left in me, it gets more difficult each year, but, never give up! I do run my tyres down but never near bald.

I did prefer the tkc80s particularly on the tar but there wasn't a huge difference. Let us all know your take on them, it's always interesting to get anothers opinion.
For my front suspension at the present set up ( I've fiddled a lot) Original springs are a bit soft for my 80kgs, will upgrade before Christmas. The emulators, they are YSS Racing valves brand, are set approx 1 full turn harder than standard setting and I have a shandy of 12.5wt fork oil. Oh and Ricks fork brace. This all seems to be good but when I fit heavier front springs and then when next loaded up for camping, it should be where I'll be satisfied, for a while at least.
The rear is surprisingly, still stock and against conventional wisdom feels to be quite OK. I will get to fit an aftermarket shock one day but I'm in no rush
At the outrageous price on tyres particularly the TKC80s I hope you get heaps more kilometeragezez than5000. Lets know.

WARDY

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gee Stretch, you must be a bit tough on your tyres, or I'm not. My last set of k60s got something around 9000kms and I've kept them in the garage to re-fit to get another 3000kms out of them. A lot more from the front tyre. Admittedly the rear is what you might say a little flat but still serviceable. A trip nearly two years ago to the Flinders Ranges from the Blue Mountains doesn't help to keep tyres rounded in profile. Similarly my tkc80s got 6500kms F+R and await my next dirt trip to use up the remaining 2/3000kms. I hope that I have another trip left in me, it gets more difficult each year, but, never give up! I do run my tyres down but never near bald.

I did prefer the tkc80s particularly on the tar but there wasn't a huge difference. Let us all know your take on them, it's always interesting to get anothers opinion.
For my front suspension at the present set up ( I've fiddled a lot) Original springs are a bit soft for my 80kgs, will upgrade before Christmas. The emulators, they are YSS Racing valves brand, are set approx 1 full turn harder than standard setting and I have a shandy of 12.5wt fork oil. Oh and Ricks fork brace. This all seems to be good but when I fit heavier front springs and then when next loaded up for camping, it should be where I'll be satisfied, for a while at least.
The rear is surprisingly, still stock and against conventional wisdom feels to be quite OK. I will get to fit an aftermarket shock one day but I'm in no rush
At the outrageous price on tyres particularly the TKC80s I hope you get heaps more kilometeragezez than5000. Lets know.

WARDY
Your right with the Tyre wear Wardy. The original K60s i had on my 1st Vstrom back in 2005 got a lot better mileage than these "new" K60 Scouts. The 1st big ride i did on them i could see the rubber disapearing day by day.
I got a set of TKCs from the USA for $275 for the pair:thumbup: plus $90 freight which included a rear 180 for my Bandit.

I have ridden other Vstroms with TKCs and yeah they impressed me for a semi knobby particularly on the tar!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Stretch, I can't find a Stateside dealer who will ship tkc80s.I can find all other brands but not Tkc80s. Help me out Please!! I would really like to buy locally but I seriously cannot afford $500+ on tyres every 9000kms. I think the supply chain in Aust. must have too many hands taking a piece each. I'm well aware of the GST and wages etc but the gouge is too deep, somebody has too big an o/head (or have a high up-keep wife [which is sometimes,but only for a short time, fair enough eh ? winkkk ] )

WARDY

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my Conti TKCs from xtremepowersports.com Just did a check on their website and F 110/80 USD 113.96 R 161.21 + 74 postage USPS. Total USD $349

I would send send an email to confirm the postage price b4 u order , as there was a guy on ADV who ordered tyres from them after i posted that I HAD Got them and they tried to hit him up for excess postage.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Stretch, I can't find a Stateside dealer who will ship tkc80s.I can find all other brands but not Tkc80s. Help me out Please!! I would really like to buy locally but I seriously cannot afford $500+ on tyres every 9000kms. I think the supply chain in Aust. must have too many hands taking a piece each. I'm well aware of the GST and wages etc but the gouge is too deep, somebody has too big an o/head (or have a high up-keep wife [which is sometimes,but only for a short time, fair enough eh ? winkkk ] )

WARDY
Wardy Have alook at the Kenda Big Block ADV tyre (I can't remember the actual model number/destignation atm), very similiar to the TKC's

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks Glen they may be a good alternative to the tkcs but as yet I've not tracked down an exporter but will post it when I do . I'm keen to look at the Shinko705s. How are you finding them?.. I'm surprised the new Scout with the central rubber now all the way around, does not appear to wear as well as previous k60s. Must be road oriented rubber not the previous tough stuff.
Glen what date do you propose the down south ride? My brother is visiting for a few days at the end of Aug. ...hope dates don't clash. I'm keen to join in if my stars align.

WARDY

·
Registered
811 Posts
Brian, I'm pretty happy with the Shinko's so far, but mind you I haven't ridden them offroad in the wet yet. they handled everything we did on the Dubbo ride no problems.
I ordered them through Bruce Collins and got them sent to my local Bike shop.
Contact Us
Cost me $325 fitted and balanced.
But for some reason they are not shown on his website
theres lots of info/threads about them.
one thing though make sure you get the radials, not the cross plys, quite few reports of them peeling badly) Product codes are S379, S380.

Illawarra Ride is 2nd - 4th Sept
http://www.stromtrooper.com/australia-new-zealand/66783-ride-time-%96-illawarra-amble-2nd-%96-4th-sept.html

Cobar Ride is long weekend in Oct ( will post it up when I can comfirm)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm keen to look at the Shinko705s.
Another vote for the 705 Radials. Apart from wet asphalt (not excellent, but good) and wet/ muddy dirt (not as good as the TKC or Kenda 761 Big Blocks, but fine if care is taken due to their high crown) they also go pretty well in sand (@~16-20F and 20-23R).

·
Registered
811 Posts
Another vote for the 705 Radials. Apart from wet asphalt (not excellent, but good) and wet/ muddy dirt (not as good as the TKC or Kenda 761 Big Blocks, but fine if care is taken due to their high crown) they also go pretty well in sand (@~16-20F and 20-23R).

Pete what pressures do you normally run the 705's at ?

if I know I'm doing a all tar ride I run around 35 ps1 F & R
if a mixed ride around 30 F&R
and around 25 for dirt rides

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Same as all the other hoops...normal road-pressures for everything (36 both for the 1000... 32/36 for the 650s).
Then again, most of our rides are of the "travelling" kind, rather than 1-day blats....so it's a bit of a different base-line.

I'm lazy...and try to "ride around" things....only for sand (or if I got myself into the shit) will I drop pressures before "going in".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts