StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have picked up a number of money saving tips from this forum over the past several months such as; using Pledge instead of Plexus, using DuPont Multi Purpose Lubricant instead of Bel Ray chain lube and I used to buy expensive $80 motorcycle gloves, now I buy good quality $20 deerskin ropers.

I Thought it would be a great idea to start a new thread asking for more money saving ideas on bike gear, camping gear, bike maintenace, etc...

I know some of you more experienced riders must of picked up a bunch of tips like the Pledge one over the years.

Any suggestions??

S

·
0 Posts
I'm all for a "penny tech" thread!

When I bought my bike (used) I was a little annoyed by how much the seat would move up and down at the front. Apparently a PO or two ago wanted the seat lower, so he removed the rubber bumpers from the seat pan and replaced them with thinner stick-on rubber feet - like you'd find in a hardware store as feet for a table lamp or something. Lowered the seat a bit - don't know how much.

Saw somewhere (was it VSRI?) if you stick the plastic binding from a business report on the top of your screen it will act as a vortex generator - enough to make a noticeable difference in buffeting. Haven't tried it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just saw on Powerblock TV that Maalox makes great anti sieve for engine bolts. Not exactly sure if Maalox costs more or less than true anti sieze.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Saw somewhere (was it VSRI?) if you stick the plastic binding from a business report on the top of your screen it will act as a vortex generator - enough to make a noticeable difference in buffeting. Haven't tried it.
I tried this -- end result: no difference.

It did look goofy, though, so there's that, I guess. :confused:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here's a classic once. Ammo cans for saddlebags. Seriously. Why would I spend a couple (read: several) hundred dollars for a pair of waterproof, extremely durable hard bags when I could spend 70 dollars and get some 35mm ammo cans, paint 'em black, and bolt 'em on? Plus, I'm not totally bummed if I drop the bike or scratch the cans. Paint over the scratch, bang out the dent, and when all else fails, fork out another 35 bucks and replace the can. Doesn't look the prettiest, but it gets the job done and gets it done well.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Here's a classic once. Ammo cans for saddlebags. Seriously. Why would I spend a couple (read: several) hundred dollars for a pair of waterproof, extremely durable hard bags when I could spend 70 dollars and get some 35mm ammo cans, paint 'em black, and bolt 'em on? Plus, I'm not totally bummed if I drop the bike or scratch the cans. Paint over the scratch, bang out the dent, and when all else fails, fork out another 35 bucks and replace the can. Doesn't look the prettiest, but it gets the job done and gets it done well.
Got a picture?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Picture of ammo cans

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I only paid $16 each for mine... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
322 Posts
wOOp, wOOp, wOOp!!! Where did you find ammo cans like that? Those are terrific!
I got these from Crown Surplus in Calgary, AB. They were a little more expensive than I thought they'd be, but they do have waterproof lids and are crazy strong.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I find that I save money in the long run simply by paying the $$$ is cost to have the bike professionally maintained.
That can't possibly be true unless your idea of maintenance is beating your bike periodically with a hammer to make it behave. My last valve adjustment cost a grand total of $15, three dollars each for five new shims (I re-used one shim and two valves did not need adjustment). How much did yours cost?

S

·
0 Posts
That can't possibly be true unless your idea of maintenance is beating your bike periodically with a hammer to make it behave. My last valve adjustment cost a grand total of $15, three dollars each for five new shims (I re-used one shim and two valves did not need adjustment). How much did yours cost?
+1. My local dealer swaps shims. My last valve adjustment cost me about $3 for a fresh tube of gasket sealer.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Professional maintenance is cheaper than no maintenance, only repairs after it blows up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts