StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Still a relative noobie to the forum here so apologies if I've stuffed up!
I've done a search on 'best roads' etc but couldn't find an answer to my query.

Does anyone or has anyone attempted to sticky a 'best roads/unsealed' for your state. Could be one for each state with a google map link and a bit of a description of the route etc.

I'd start with the Victoria section. Pakenham, Gembrook, Launching Place, Healsville, Taggarty, Eildon, Jamieson, Kevington, Woods Point, Marysville loop. About 110 kms of unsealed. Some rutted some graded but a long hard slog and extremely fun!!!

Linky to map...http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...o/maps/8vncn&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13351790608132

Are there any publications that have these types of rides in them, apart from monthly mags. Thinking more along the lines of Bitchin' Bitumin'

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
IMO the best road is the one that's under the wheels of your bike.
Others may disagree but there are plenty of sites where "best roads" can be listed there are even phone apps that list them and we don't need to reinvent the wheel here. If you go for a great ride then write a ride report with photos rather than just a google map people are more interested in first hand experiences than maps.

EDIT:

Posting a ride map starting at what presumably is your home address is not the best idea anybody ever had either. You may want to start the map at a more generic location.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You might want to have a look at HEMA maps. I think they've got a Motorcycle Atlas of the best roads around. I personally don't have the Australian version, but the NZ version is pretty spot on :hurray:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks and noted.
Got the Hema map and while it is a good road map, I was thinking along the lines of good off road trails as well. That gives more along the lines of sealed roads.
I love to read though the ride reports, just thought it'd be a good reference point to have these grouped into their state for ease of use.

Cheers
Cam

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Personally I hate the concept of following somebody else's except obviously where they are a ride leader. I'm happy to know general directions and maybe landmarks but pointing my bike down a road that I have no idea where it leads is way more interest to me.
Following others' routes to me is a Ulysses Club or Netrider thing where you have the blind leading the even blinder and between the lot of them there isn't one ounce of riding ability of sense of adventure.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Following others' routes to me is a Ulysses Club or Netrider thing where you have the blind leading the even blinder and between the lot of them there isn't one ounce of riding ability of sense of adventure.
I dunno, some folks have a knack for putting a great ride together. They're rare, but they're out there.

Heading off on my own works too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally I hate the concept of following somebody else's except obviously where they are a ride leader. I'm happy to know general directions and maybe landmarks but pointing my bike down a road that I have no idea where it leads is way more interest to me.
Ouch*
Fwiw, the long way home thread here was also posted on Nr
Result, 5 guys from NR came along for the dirt part, one on an FJ road bike, we all made it.
Posted here as well, ummm 0 riders......except for Nutty tart but she had to work.
Having said that, it was a mid week ride
Tis a long bow you're drawing there brother. I'm very conscious of how invitations are worded. Yes you do get the try hards in all forums but also many that want to ride with others.

Cam

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
There is nothing wrong with riding with others. What I said is that I don't like blindly following other peoples maps. Doing that is like a Ulysses or Netrider ride to me. Boredom punctuated by frequent coffee stops in the case of Ulysses or picking up crashed idiots in the case of Netrider.
Other people obviously have their own opinions but at this point don't seem to be interested nough in the topic to express them.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think the saying your after Kiwi is ' The near sighted leading the blind.' Can't say I agree with all your sentiments tho, as there are so many roads it's easy to miss a particularly good one that somebody else has found and passed on. I've passed on some great routes too for others to enjoy at their leisure.
But... I do agree that some, ( not all ) Ulysses rides have been er...yawn!

Saturn 5.......Still on the launching pad drying out a wet wick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe I should have left out the map bit to my opening post?
Not everyone has enough time to just point down a road and hope for the best.
With 3 kids and very little spare time, rides for me at the moment need to be a little more orgganized (as I am sure with many others)
That C511 road from Jamieson to Marysville was taken by mistake by me returning from the Snowy Ride in 2008. For the record it was on a VFR, not the most suitable of steeds for such a road, but Geeze what views and total isolation. Bit scary.
So this time round I wanted to cast a net for any others that wanted to take in those fantastic views.
What's the difference between reading a great riding diary that makes you want to cover the authors tracks and a map of the route?

Next time I'd do it in the opposite direction as one of our fellow Troopers posted a while ago.
Cheers all,

Cam

Different stroke for different folks I guess as far as Ulysees and pack riding NR rides. Each to his/ her own I guess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Doing that is like a Ulysses or Netrider ride to me. Boredom punctuated by frequent coffee stops in the case of Ulysses or picking up crashed idiots in the case of Netrider.
Broad statement K1W1, I agree that there are some bad but it's the meeting of people that you mainly do these rides for. ( my humble opinion)
Cam try looking on the adventure riders site so many great stories, and adventures mostly off road.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Broad statement K1W1, I agree that there are some bad but it's the meeting of people that you mainly do these rides for.
Netrider is the only motorcycle site I know where people boast about crashes on rides. It appears to be an accepted part of their events. I have been on a number of non Netrider rides where we have had to stop and assist with the recovery of bikes that have gone over banks simply because the idiots in control of them have no idea what they are doing or how to ride them in a sensible and safe way.
As far as Ulysses is concerned that's their choice. The Ulysses club after all is NOT a motorcycle club according to its constitution. It's a SOCIAL club for people who ride motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Being relatively new to motorcycles and riding, I rely on maps and stories by others to get an idea on places to go.
I don't know many in my area that ride and I do want to get out more in between my often weekend working schedules but am still unfamiliar of many parts even in my own region (Hunter valley)

I would rather being with at least one other rider just incase I stuff-up:green_lol:

I'm still not sure I'm ready for Hardcore bush riding that some of you Strommers do:yikes: So having an idea of the terrain I'll encounter at this stage of my riding experience would help me nicely.

Cheers

wobbly

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe I should have left out the map bit to my opening post?
Not everyone has enough time to just point down a road and hope for the best.
With 3 kids and very little spare time, rides for me at the moment need to be a little more orgganized (as I am sure with many others)
That C511 road from Jamieson to Marysville was taken by mistake by me returning from the Snowy Ride in 2008. For the record it was on a VFR, not the most suitable of steeds for such a road, but Geeze what views and total isolation. Bit scary.
So this time round I wanted to cast a net for any others that wanted to take in those fantastic views.
What's the difference between reading a great riding diary that makes you want to cover the authors tracks and a map of the route?

Next time I'd do it in the opposite direction as one of our fellow Troopers posted a while ago.
Cheers all,

Cam

Different stroke for different folks I guess as far as Ulysees and pack riding NR rides. Each to his/ her own I guess.
Hi Camstrom, opposite direction was every bit as good. I'm in similar boat to you, two kids, busy work-life, rides take considerable planning, and as my skills improve, open to riding some of these with others. Would have loved to join you last week. I share some of K1W1's sentiments, great to trun down an unknown road heading in roughly desired direction (I also did this when I was a cyclist), but more than happy to share these experiences with like-minded individuals. Easy answer K1W1, don't join in with these, and enjoy your own adventures! Everyone can win here, and we do have a shared puspose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well said Rob.
Going to try and do this one annually.
Going to call it 'the Tuff Mudda and Crazy Buggers Ride'
Hope to give some notice though. It is a great day ride.

Cam

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks and noted.
Got the Hema map and while it is a good road map, I was thinking along the lines of good off road trails as well. That gives more along the lines of sealed roads.
I love to read though the ride reports, just thought it'd be a good reference point to have these grouped into their state for ease of use.

Cheers
Cam
Cam, good suggestion, also these sites may have some rides along those lines
ADVrider - Powered by vBulletin
index Page 2.
Australia / New Zealand - The HUBB
http://farriders.com/forum15/index.php

A note on the comments made of some large riding groups mentioned here..... One group caters for a vast range of experience, bikes and age of riders. Riders who may have lost a bit of reaction time and physical strength due to age are to be commended for getting out on the bike and enjoying the life(esp off the beaten track) they may not be seeking the "adventure" others do but a fun social day on 2 wheels, a lot of those riders did not gain 30+ riding years by being and idiot. If its not your thing there are plenty of adventure groups or competetive riding events to enter.
Some riders (not myself) scoff at the idea of taking a Strom (lowest ground clearance and shortest fork travel) off the beaten track and wonder why you do not use a DRZ,KTM,BMW,etc to do more extreme adventure riding.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Cam, good suggestion, also these sites may have some rides along those lines
ADVrider - Powered by vBulletin
index Page 2.
Australia / New Zealand - The HUBB
FarRiders.com - Index

A note on the comments made of some large riding groups mentioned here..... One group caters for a vast range of experience, bikes and age of riders. Riders who may have lost a bit of reaction time and physical strength due to age are to be commended for getting out on the bike and enjoying the life(esp off the beaten track) they may not be seeking the "adventure" others do but a fun social day on 2 wheels, a lot of those riders did not gain 30+ riding years by being and idiot. If its not your thing there are plenty of adventure groups or competetive riding events to enter.
Some riders (not myself) scoff at the idea of taking a Strom (lowest ground clearance and shortest fork travel) off the beaten track and wonder why you do not use a DRZ,KTM,BMW,etc to do more extreme adventure riding.
ML,thank you for your reply,a Sunday ride with friends or solo--a coffee/meal at a local pub/bakery--or 9000k which I enjoyed on my west trip in 2010--Ulysses member and proud.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts