StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Sunbeemers club annual Smoky Mountains Ride, from the Flying J on I-75 is this Sunday. These guys have found hills and twisties you'd never know existed. The first part is a RTE somewhere, then meanders through new territory back to the truck stop. There are two groups, hot riders and those who exhibit some sanity.

I've done this ride several times and always enjoy it a lot. Everyone is welcome. Kick stands up at 10AM

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Are coming up here this Sunday?

The weather looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are coming up here this Sunday?

The weather looks pretty nice.
Norm,

I have tentative plans to run up to NC sometime after
April 15. With luck I won't have a tight time schedule and will be able to wander around as I like. We can get together if you wish.

I'm going to put some stuff on the bike to make the ride more comfortable. I tried to mount my new Dan Vessel highway pegs today but couldn't get one of the frame mount bolts to line up after I removed the originals to mount the pegs. It wanted to cross thread on me, so I have to take it to the bike shop tomorrow. The triangle mount frame to motor mount apparently shifted slightly when I removed both bolts. I have one bolt back in, which could be enough to get me to the shop. I need to get it ready for Sunday's ride.

I mentioned the ride on this board last year and nobody seemed interested. Too bad. It's a really good ride.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Specifically?

Morrie, is this the starting point?

Flying J Travel Plaza
I-75 Exit 285 & SR52 <<<<<<<<<< CORRECT
29933 State Road 52
Dade City FL 33576
352-588-5444

or is this the start?

Flying J Travel Plaza
I-4 & SR 579 Exit 10 <<<<<<< NOT THIS ONE
11555 East Sligh Ave.
Tampa FL 33584
813-612-9438

I think I can make this ride. I would, as always, consider it a privilege to ride
with you on this venture. I take it we old fellas will ride with the turtles?

Keith

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Norm,

I have tentative plans to run up to NC sometime after
April 15. With luck I won't have a tight time schedule and will be able to wander around as I like. We can get together if you wish.
That seemed pretty ambitious for a one-day ride, NC and back in time for dinner.

I will attest to the fact that there are roads in Central Florida that seem like they could be anywhere but Florida.

Have a good time.

I'm hoping to be able to ride by April 15.

If my leg is up to it, I might have to borrow a bike from a family member.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I gather the "mountains" are Pasco, Hernando, Citrus and Lake counties around here. That's the best riding in the state. I'm going to try and make it. Keith, betcha bacon the start is the truck stop on the NE corner of I-75 and SR 52.

Rod

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Terrific!

Rod, I am thinking I was kinda dumb not to offer to carry you on the ride to Arcadia and the barrier islands last month. I had enough gear to keep you warm: parka, scarf, pants, boots and gloves. I would have let you wear the helmet and worn a warm hood myself. I guess we could have taken turns in the front seat.

Of course I thought of that en route to Arcadia, and my butt was numb for a while. I had no idea I could kick myself while astride a motorcycle.

I look forward to seeing you, but I will not take your bet.

Far be it from me to suggest that a forthright gentleman such as yourself might
be "clocking Mindy's cheesecake", but like Sky Masterson, I decline the wager.

Keith

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Far be it from me to suggest that a forthright gentleman such as yourself might
be "clocking Mindy's cheesecake", but like Sky Masterson, I decline the wager.

Keith
I don't know what that means, but it's funny as hell.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
I digress to dot the eyes ...

Norm, there is a famous scene in the musical Guys and Dolls. Nathan Detroit is short of cash, and he hopes to take advantage of Sky Masterson, who is rumored to be willing to wager plenty on seemingly minor events, such as the arrival of this raindrop versus that to the bottom of a window.

So Nathan sets out to learn whether Mindy sells more cheesecake than strudel,
or the reverse, with the hope of luring Sky into a bet against a sure thing.

Here is how the scene plays out. Remember, Sinatra played Nathan, and Brando played Sky,
back when they were young and we were younger. It helps to picture them.

GUYS and DOLLS

Sky Masterson

BENNY
Psst!
(NATHAN turns to him)
NICELY
Yesterday Mindy sold twelve hundred cheesecake and fifteen hundred strudel.
NATHAN
More strudel than cheesecake. That's great!
ADELAIDE
Nathan! What is this?
NATHAN
Nothing, honey. Look, Adelaide, I'm expecting a fellow, and I know you're hungry...
ADELAIDE
Nathan, are you trying to get rid of me?
NATHAN
No. I just don't want your sandwich to get soggy. Fellows...
(He crosses ADELAIDE to BENNY, sees SKY approaching. ADELAIDE is borne away by BENNY and NICELY - they raise her up and EXIT. NATHAN is alone. He paces a moment, peers off. SKY MASTERSON ENTERS)
SKY
Nathan! You old promoter, you!
NATHAN
How are you, Sky? Going to be in town long?
SKY
Flying to Havana tomorrow.
NATHAN
Havana!
SKY
Yes, there's lots of action down there. Want to come with me?
NATHAN
No, I got a lot of things to... Tell me - you hungry? Maybe we could go into Mindy's and have a piece of cheesecake or strudel or something?
SKY
No. I think I'll go get the late results.
NATHAN
But you will admit that Mindy has the greatest cheesecake in the country?
SKY
Yes, I'm quite partial to Mindy's cheesecake.
NATHAN
Who ain't? And yet there are some people who like Mindy's strudel.
(SKY seems disinterested)
Offhand, which do you think he sells more of, the cheesecake or the strudel?
SKY
Well, I never give it much thought. But if everybody is like I am, I'd say Mindy sells much more cheesecake than strudel.
NATHAN
For how much?
SKY
Huh?
NATHAN
I will bet you a thousand bucks that yesterday Mindy sold more strudel than cheesecake.
SKY
Nathan, let me tell you a little story...
NATHAN
Oh...
SKY
When I was a young man about to go out in the world, my father says to me a very valuable thing. "Son," the old guy says, "...one of these days in your travels a guy is going to come to you with a brand new deck of cards and offer to bet you that he can make the Jack of Spades jump out of the deck and squirt cider in your ear. But son, do not bet this man, for as sure as you are standing there you are going to wind up with an ear full of cider. Now, Nathan, I do not claim that you have been clocking Mindy's cheesecake...
NATHAN
You don't think that...
SKY
However, if you're really looking for some action
(Crosses to NATHAN, puts his hand across his chest hiding NATHAN's necktie)
I will bet you the same thousand that you do not know the color of the necktie you have on.
(We can tell from NATHAN's expression that his entire life is passing before him as he fails to remember the color)
Well?
NATHAN
(Dismally)
No bet.
(SKY removes his hand. NATHAN looks disgustedly at the color of his tie)
Blue. What a crazy color.

So I am not suggesting that Rod visited the Sunbeemers site to find out which Flying J is the starting point;
I am merely declining the opportunity to make a wager on the subject.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Remember, Sinatra played Nathan, and Brando played Sky,
back when they were young and we were younger.
I guess the reason I don't remember it is because my contemporaneous age could only have been measured in negative integers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Morrie, is this the starting point?

Flying J Travel Plaza
I-75 Exit 285 & SR52
29933 State Road 52
Dade City FL 33576
352-588-5444

or is this the start?

Flying J Travel Plaza
I-4 & SR 579 Exit 10
11555 East Sligh Ave.
Tampa FL 33584
813-612-9438

(After you reply, I will block out the wrong address & remove this line.)

I think I can make this ride. I would, as always, consider it a privilege to ride
with you on this venture. I take it we old fellas will ride with the turtles?

Keith
Keith,

It's the one on I-75, exit 285...The one I overshot when you and I rode up there a couple years ago. I'm looking forward to trying out my new highway pegs on the way up.

Morrie

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Ride to the ride

Thank you, Morrie. RodK was correct, of course. I am glad I did not bet.
The last time I bet against a Stromtrooper, I lost the bet, and I needed
to ride to Canada in April, in order to deliver eight donuts to him.

Of course, I had other reasons to ride to Canada,
and indeed I predicted I would not be present before summer,
but the story sounds pretty good the way I told it.

I will breakfast at Burger King on SR-70, just east of I-75, at 7:45 AM.
Next door to Burger King is this Hess station:
Hess - 8604 FL-70 E - Bradenton, FL - Florida Gas Prices

Feel free to join me for the ride-to-the-ride, or not, as you choose.

Keith

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keith,

Breakfast is a possibility, and I would thoroughly enjoy your company, but late riser that I am its not a certainty. I'll probably gulp some coffee and a couple breakfast bars at home and hit the road at 8. It's 78 miles from my on ramp to the Flying J. I figure two hours is more than enough.

There'll be a lunch somewhere and we'll have a chance to visit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
sun ride

are you guys comming towards Ocala, I can ride till about 3pm, have plans
after that, would like to join up for part of ride if it works out, thanks, Dave

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think we're all coming from the south. Most of the ride is probably not far from Ocala. I imagine you could break off any time and head home.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Terrific ride!

Thank you , Morrie. That was a terrific ride, and I enjoyed all about it,
except not making it to the breakfast point I suggested. In fact, I
accidentally overshot exit 217 (SR-70). When I realized I had done it,
I sorta shrugged, notched up yet another senior moment, and guessed
that you would not be there, or else would forgive me. Thank you again.

It was great to meet these riders. They are interesting raconteurs,
and know a lot about riding and other interesting things.

I was pleased to meet Dave, and I hope we see him again.
As he reports that he winters here for a few months, we may.

Interesting incident on the way south. I took US-41 all the way, and just south of Brooksville, I saw a slightly unpleasant vignette as I went past. On the right shoulder, a bike was stopped, with a man aboard. South of it, a woman was walking south. As I approached, in the left of two lanes, the rider entered the right lane and commenced riding south, past the woman who was still walking on the shoulder. By and by, this rider passed me and continued south and out of sight.

I made a U-turn and rode north, toward the walking woman. By the time I passed her, she had turned about and was walking north on the shoulder. I made another U-turn, and parked where she could see me, about 40 yards north of her. I turned off the engine and removed my helmet. When she was near enough for conversation, I asked her if she needed a lift. She declined, saying she would walk to [name of bar] and have a beer. The bar was visible some 400 yards away. She was sober and composed and fully capable of looking after herself, so I said that sounded like a good idea. I said it appeared that I had seen the last second of an argument, and she nodded. I said good-bye and put my helmet on and started up and rode away from there. I hope she met someone she liked, because she seemed like a decent sort, perhaps 35-45 and clear-headed.

I reached home about 5:30 with 284 miles on today's trip meter.
Keith

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sunday ride

Thanks Morrie and Keith, It was good to meet both of you and the rest of the group also. I very much enjoyed the ride, its almost time to go back to Illinois, but I look forward to seeing both of you next winter. I had a good ride back home and a good dinner with my visitors, they just left.
Thanks again, Dave:thumbup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm glad you guys enjoyed the ride. The Beemer crowd is a good bunch. Everyone got the word late this year so the group was a lot smaller than usual. I usually see 50-60 at this run.

I had my own incident involving a lady. At our midway stop as we stood in line for the rest rooms, a moderately ample woman emerged from the distaff side before she had everything quite tied down. I think she was with a group of trike riders. A guy in line in front of me jumped in to help without asking permission, but it seemed OK with her. She had a lot of laces to secure her britches and skimpy halter top. I can't say I saw everything there, but it was pretty obvious she had no tan lines.

I have written here before that my two neck fusions make riding difficult. I had to cut a North Carolina trip short last year because I couldn't swivel my head to do climbing switchbacks. I have one set of barbacks now and the last option is to add another set on top of the current ones. I don't know if that will help much. Just riding on the flat and level going home, my neck cramped and the pain was fierce. I never know when it will hit. If I were rational, I'd realize that my riding days should be over. Perhaps someone will have a chance at a really nice 09 ABS model with lots of farkles soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts