StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4/13/04 Great news on new style Windshield for the V-Strom

Today I installed my new " Fairingscreens.com " replacement windshield and I could not be happier with the results! The noise and buffeting is gone. I can ride with my face shield open, no ear plugs and ride as fast as
I care too without bugs splattering me. I feel some wind around my shoulders and chest area but this is as close to perfection as I can imagine with any shield mounted on a V-strom with the sharp angle of the windshield.
It measures 27.25 in tall and 13.5 inches at the bottom tapering to 10.5 inches at top with 3 distinct aerodynamic patterns and a triangular hole just above the instrument dash with a 1.5 inch reverse flip at the top. I easily look over it. I am 5'11 tall.
Basically, Marcel took the best of 3 different ideas and made one great windshield! I have ridden over 2000 happy miles in the last month on this great bike and the stock shield was my only complaint. It is plain horrible.
I have read about many unhappy owners trying many different windscreens unsuccessfully from half a dozen manufacturers, so I was wary about what I could expect from upgrading. For the Record, This is my third and best shield from Marcel. He replaced at no cost to me the shield the Dealership originally installed incorrectly . I was not happy with the shorter replacement so I waited with a temprary fix until the new style was unveiled. Now I am a happy owner and heartily recommend to anyone who needs a replacement, email or call Fairingscreens.com. You will be very happy you did.

Marcel always did what he said he would, was very acommodating and enthusiastic in making sure I was satisfied.
What more could any reasonable person expect. I would love to post pictures of the shield If I can figure out how to do it - I will.

javascript:emoticon(':D')

·
Registered
351 Posts
screens

What's the name of the screen that you purchased. The fairingscreens.com
does not give any reference to a VS.

Scooter

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scooter,
It should pictured be on the web site soon...
**You can call direct and speak to Marcel who is the craftsman who makes them. It is called the Extra Wide for the V-Strom. You can reach him at 775 315 3391. He will make it to any length you want.
I rode another 100 miles today without ever closing my faceshield.
This is the best of both worlds to me. Having the safety of a full face helmet and the ability to ride with the shield up!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Scooter

Have you contacted Marcel yet? I have an '04 Strom, and, even with the new adjustable windscreen set to the highest mark, there's lots of wind...I can't ride comfortably over ~ 40 kph with my faceshield open.

I've looked at the Cee Bailey website, but before I make a choice, I'd be interested in finding out what the new screen cost in $CDN...with taxes and shipping.

I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam.

Crappy what's happening near you with the avian flu...

Richard

P

·
0 Posts
Cee Bailey windscreens for the V-Strom work well. I use a very tall one (plus 12 1/4 inches). But they aren't the most attractive screen out there... I think what everyone really wants is something that looks cool and works well too.

But given the choice between comfort and looks - I went with comfort for now.

O

·
0 Posts
News bulliten!
I have had the worst dealings with Fairingscreens that anyone could have.
Long story but I had two of their shields crack within 200 miles.
Trying to get the problem resolved was a joke! As a matter of fact Marcel, the owner hung up on me! I then immediately called back only to get the answering machine. I then left a message to return my call. Its been two weeks and no call.
Trying to communicate with him what you want is next to impossible.
Oh by the way you have to oblong the holes to make it fit. I made the mistake of not fully reading their website. It states that modification is necessary to make there shields work. I had to modify mine to where the screws and rubber bushings almost did not fit.
I have since sent both of them back with a "nasty gram" attached.
I probably will see nothing come of this and just as well have thrown money right out the window!

G

·
0 Posts
I went for the Cee Bailey flip screen stock height touring screen as well, but only use this for touring. Otherwise, for commuting etc, I re-installed the Suzuki stock screen to improve the 'looks'.

The wind noise only gets to you after 100mi or so. Sounds like Cee Baileys or the other known screen manufacturers may be a better bet.

O

·
0 Posts
Fairingscreens- Don't even think about it!

Marcel contacted me six weeks ago and said he would make good the windshields that cracked. I have yet to receive them.
Once again he has my windshields and my money. What a fool I am for ever dealing with this company.
Any windshield that you have to drill your own holes isn't worth buying anyway. I didn't know this or I would have never purchased them.
You know what they say "did you read the fine print".

Do yourself a favor and stear clear of Fairingscreens!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
windshield

teddyrob66 said:
well did marcel ever make good or what?
Yeah, what happened? This thing started out sounding like the best thing since they perfected taking the bones out of ice cream! :lol:

Still can't decide which one to buy to replace my stock screen...

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
So is this MP cycle desighn screen the real deal? do we finaly have a screen that really lives up to it"s claims. Sounds too good to be true given all the dudd"s we have all been playing around with for so long, not to mention how some riders praise a screen so you think its a winner only to have other"s say the same screen is useless, hell some poeple even find the stock screen is a winner and it certainly does'nt work for me, so is this a screen that can suit all of us no matter what hight,weight, shape we may be. How many riders have got this screen and what percentage of them are truely happy with it.
If you have one please let everyone know good or bad in your opinion as there are heaps of us totaly confused as to which screen to get

·
Registered
312 Posts
still waiting to hear some straigh talk from a tall person using the mp cycle design screen.
z

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like almost every other Strom owner, I experimented with the screen height only to find that all 3 positions were equally poor. I've since discovered that by installing some spacers under the lower attachment bolts to create a gap of about 1.5 inches, I've pretty much cured the turbulence and high speed buffeting.

·
Registered
312 Posts
stromtastic
don't think for a minute that ALL of us haven't tried every kind of spacing arrangement possible. for a tall person [me] the "increased rake" position that you describe is a disaster. the only thing that works well is the reverse, standing the screen up straighter.
but I'm delighted to hear you found something that works with uk air

z

·
Registered
7 Posts
UK air? Maybe you're on to something there. Perhaps US air is the cause of your problems. If you'd like to experiment with some fine English air, I'd be happy to start an export business. I'll even sell it at a discounted rate for V-Strommers ($2.00 per bottle)

·
Registered
232 Posts
As Zapp stated, most of us have tried every combination we can think of, hell I'm rideing with a mesh screen made from stainless mesh, all my mates have nick naned my bike "THE SUZUKI FIRE SCREEN" { a take off of Hondas Firestorm} doesnt look so hot but works for me,the only thing that has so far, which is why I was really hopeing feedback on the MP sreen would show it to be the 1 fix all for everybody screen but not too many feedbacks as yet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've always heard nothing but grief from riders who dealt with FairingScreens.com, but I've never personally dealt with them.

MP Cycle Designs Shield -- I rode a DL1000 that had this screen and it was the same as all the others; from 60 mph and up, nothing but major turbulence.

I'm sure the owners of these 2 companies won't be happy to hear my comments, but we are here to help each other, not the vendors.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
312 Posts
cyclerama I appreciate your candor.
we get a lot of 'coloration' from people who are just embarrassed that they spend $300 on a screen and then are disappointed, .... instead they say "so far its working well...... i think..... but i'll report more later......." and they're gone.

so i just keep riding, thinking someday somebody will come up with an amazingly simple solution

z

·
Registered
93 Posts
zapp said:
cyclerama I appreciate your candor.
we get a lot of 'coloration' from people who are just embarrassed that they spend $300 on a screen and then are disappointed, .... instead they say "so far its working well...... i think..... but i'll report more later......." and they're gone.

so i just keep riding, thinking someday somebody will come up with an amazingly simple solution

z
Roger that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts