StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I was sitting in the house the last couple of days, watching the snow fall and longing for a ride.....I got a brainstorm about a cool thread. Soon, all of us will be rolling the wheels around the West and Southwest, enjoying all that riding has to offer.....and searching for great food.

So.........

If you have experienced some phenomenal food, you need to post your suggestions here.

It will take a little more work on your part, but hit Google Maps and do a search for your "dive", copy the map link and post below. Also, if the place has a website, that would be awesome to include. (check out how I did it)

Hopefully, this will be a running thread for years to come, where we can come up with a "can't miss" list where great food can be found, regardless of where you travel.

I will start......

Bernalillo, NM
The Range Cafe: MAP, Website

Taos, NM
Michaels Kitchen: MAP, Website

Salt Lake City, UT
The Red Iguana: MAP, Website

Colorado Springs, CO
Amanda's Fonda: MAP

Salida, CO
Amicas: MAP, Website

Morrison, CO
The Blue Cow: MAP, Website

·
Registered
450 Posts
Salida, CO

The Boathouse Cantina MAP, , Website

Gunnison, CO

Palisades Restaurant MAP Website

Estes Park, CO

Village Pizza MAP

Bighorn Restaurant MAP, Website

Colorado Springs, CO

Pueblo Viejo MAP

Sweet Celebrations Map Website

The Omelette Parlor MAP Website

Monument, CO

La Casa Fiesta MAP Website

Anchorage, AK

Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse MAP Website

Gwennies Old Alaska MAP Website

Snow Goose Restaurant MAP Website

Santa Fe, NM

Blue Corn Cafe MAP Website

Albuquerque, NM

Guarduno's MAP Website

Sadies Dining Room MAP Website

Los Cuates MAP Website

·
Registered
450 Posts
BTW - there was a thread in OT a few weeks ago that got deleted as spam for a site collecting the same sort of information: Road Trip Cafe's.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best Cuppocino
La Crema
Hong Kong :thumbup:

You gotta give us more info Norm....what town, where located?

If the Stromtrooper, Nazi thread police decide this is an evil thread and they delete it....nothing we can do about that.

·
Boy talks too much....
587 Posts
Cold Springs Tavern at the top of San Marcos Pass just north of Santa Barbara off hwy 154. Best damn Tri Tip Sammichs ever...
Just happens to be the destination of our March 21st ride..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mission Valley in San Diego: ONAMI Sushi Buffet

Downtown San Diego: Taco Stand in "Old Town" (homemade tortilla, and everything else on site)

Point Loma (San Diego): Adalberto's

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
CARDIFF BY THE SEA, CA
Pipes Cafe (HUGE breakfast burritos)

VG's Donuts (best donuts)

ESCONDIDO, CA
Stone Brewing Company (great beer - drive the car)

ORO VALLEY, AZ
Saffron Indian Bistro (contemporary Indian)

SOUTH TUCSON, AZ
Mi Nidito Mexican Restaurant (best of the best)

SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Cowbow Ciao ($$$, creative menu, in Old Town)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Estes Park - Poppys
Rocky Mountain pizza and Sweet Potato Fries

Blanding, UT - Patio Drive In
Burgers

Durango - Oscars
Tiny place, big breakfasts and lunches

·
Registered
708 Posts
prescott az
prescott brewing company
gurley st grill

tempe az
heart attack grill (not the greatest burger, but the atmosphere is pretty good ;) )

·
Registered
281 Posts
I tend to try places that are not "touristy" when on the road. I like to eat what most of the locals would eat in their location. So most of my recommendations will be for places you might not give a second glance to as you drive but are definitely worth stopping for.

Albuquerque, NM

Bob's Burgers
Best location is the original on Central. No indoor seating however and they have a great chili cheeseburger. Frito pie is awesome too. Where else can you find a taco burger where they actually stick the hamburger patty in a hard shell taco?

If you like chili cheese fries they have both red and green versions. Keep in mind that if you aren't used to spicy foods, this may not be the place to go without choosing carefully from the menu. Ask before you order if it is spicy. Great prices and a long time ABQ icon. If you see an old blue haired lady behind the counter, she and her husband opened up this place about 40 years ago and she is still working there!

This is not an upscale place but you can definitely put your feedbag on for sure. Warning- this is sort of a hole-in-the-wall place. If you like to eat where the locals eat, this is the place for you. Don't bring your date here to impress her. See the next choice.

Church Street Cafe'
Located on a side street in the Old Town Section of ABQ. This is close to I-40 and Rio Grande Blvd. Ask for seating in the back patio. Very nice place to dine with your significant other and at a reasonable price too. New Mexican cuisine but the fajitas are pretty good.

El Modelo
1715 2nd St SW. It is near I-25 and not far from the airport. I believe it is exit Avenida Cesar Chavez off I-25 but don't quote me. If you like lots of New Mexican/Mexican food and are on a budget, this is a great place to go.

Try the chile relleno burritos. They stuff chili rellenos inside the burritos. Also the tamales, carne adovada, and sopapillas are very good too. No seating inside but nice tables outside. Try one of their combination plates. They are big enough to feed a small army. Also get plenty of napkins.

If you are on a diet, this is not the place to go. The food is full of flavor and calories both. If you can't afford to eat here, you must be homeless. Warning- this is sort of a hole-in-the-wall place. It is an industrial area and looks "interesting" at best. If you like to eat where the locals eat, this is the place for you. Again I wouldn't suggest bringing your date here either to impress her with the ambiance.

Santa Fe, NM

Marias
555 West Cordova Road - This is a great New Mexican restaurant. Very old recipes that have been in use for hundreds of years. Great margarita list but only have 1 and then relax for a while before you ride. If you like posole (soup) it is pretty good hear. If you have time, order the margarita first and then order their green chili cheeseburger. It takes a while to cook but it is awesome. They take a huge hamburger and stuff it with green chili and cheese. So you have a monster size burger that shows nothing on the outside but when you bite into it you get this wonderful chili and cheese flavor mixed with the hamburger juices. Only downside is it takes about 15 minutes to cook because it is so big. Prices are reasonable. I'd say about $40 for 2 including margaritas.

Los Angeles, CA

Cafe Verona
201 South La Brea Avenue
Very good food. Service was great when I was there (3 times in the past 2 months). I have heard the service can be mediocre at times but nothing ever bad about the food. The menu is Italian. A lot of interesting specials. It is like a little oasis at night with sort of an enclosed garden feel so you don't notice the busy roads nearby. The owner was very attentive to our needs. My fiance' liked it even more than I did. Their paninis are good too. I say it is priced moderately. Figure about $40 for two.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Martan's
San Francisco Street/Flagstaff, AZ
$$ GREAT breakfasts

Oscar's
Springdale, UT
Just outside Zion National Park
$$ If you go away hungry here.... it's not their fault

·
Registered
53 Posts
Virginia City NV (Outside Reno)

Virginia City Jerky & Smokehouse
Excellent BBQ or spicy pulled pork sandwich, and the ribs aren't half bad either.
381 South C Street
Virginia City, NV 89440

Reno NV

Beto's Taqueria
575 W 5th St
Reno, Nevada 89503

The real deal, not fancy, but good and cheap Mexican food.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts