1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the lack of a locking mount is a slight negative for me. As it stands, I just put it in my jacket pocket if I park in an urban area. It’s small enough.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just ordered one, Hogges my wife is going to be mad at you, but thanks so much for sharing this, my old Nuvi 550 just died....

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
This got me thinking about my old Garmin BMW Nav 1. I paid $225 when it had set on the shelf of the dealer for too long. They wanted $1000 originally.
It had 128K chip and could hold maps for part So Calif. No teeth, no touch screen, no wifi, little tiny screen. Basic POS.
It took 6 AA batteries too. Total cludge. But it did have all the dealer locations locked into memory.
New devices are so much more handy.

I have my Garmin in a Ram Aqua box that is lockable. If I throw a light cover over the bike I don't worry too much about going into eating places in small towns. That may not in work down town LA or Chicago or NY.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some pictures of my installation. The unit needs to be hard wired (USB charging port is blocked while mounted). I run mine off the accessory plug in parallel to heated grips. This is a bit of extra work but now I really appreciate it because the unit is always on when riding, showing me the map, and it switches itself off when I remove the key (which can be cancelled if I want to continue to use it). Also this way the accessory plug can be used for charging other things such as phone or GoPro.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here are some pictures of my installation. The unit needs to be hard wired (USB charging port is blocked while mounted). I run mine off the accessory plug in parallel to heated grips. This is a bit of extra work but now I really appreciate it because the unit is always on when riding, showing me the map, and it switches itself off when I remove the key (which can be cancelled if I want to continue to use it). Also this way the accessory plug can be used for charging other things such as phone or GoPro.
Your install looks great! Where would one find this accessory plug you speak of? Color of wires? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
That is a great price. I bought one a few months ago and paid $325 and thought I did well. The 396 is Garmin's latest gen GPS for the screen size and I have been very pleased. I came from a Zumo 550 and like the 396 much better. The lock on the 550 was cheezy and a PITA. The lock was too feeble to do anything.

The 396 has a bigger screen, a thinner profile, is lighter (vibrates much less), and has a better mount for the bike compared to the older 550.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I always have my Zumo's hooked directly to the battery that way it only shuts down when I want it to but that is just a personal preference.

A quick and easy way to put it on a switched circuit is to use a piggy back spade fitting and use the horn wire to power it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I always have my Zumo's hooked directly to the battery that way it only shuts down when I want it to but that is just a personal preference.

A quick and easy way to put it on a switched circuit is to use a piggy back spade fitting and use the horn wire to power it.
I just thought of something, I'm going to have to use this on three bikes so I'm going to probably have to do some type of mounted pigtail on each bike so I can move it back and forth.

I like the thought of hooking it directly to the battery as well.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your install looks great! Where would one find this accessory plug you speak of? Color of wires? Thanks in advance!
Here is the connector for the 2017+ DL650’s heated grip outlet, which is located behind the radiator on the left side of the bike:

US $4.75 | 10 kits sets 2 way Pin male housing connector MT sealed Sumitomo connector 6187-2171
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cYqyoIOG

Eastern Beaver has ready made adapter kits if you don’t know how to mess with such connectors.

I used the word accessory plug twice for different things which is confusing, sorry. The other “accessory plug” is the factory 12V cigarette lighter style plug on the dash of my 2017 DL650. This one is now dedicated to the phone and other charging duties, while the gps runs off the heated grip connector.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I would advice against running anything off the battery directly. This GPS power cable has a 12V converter built in. Even if you switch the GPS off or remove it completely from the mount there will still be a small current flowing. I did not measure how much and I bet a week of two will not be a problem for a healthy battery but any drain like this will eventually drain the battery, which is a bad thing in my book.

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
I'm a bit concerned about your forks being raised that high, I don't recommend going higher than a 1/2 inch. :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
I would advice against running anything off the battery directly. This GPS power cable has a 12V converter built in. Even if you switch the GPS off or remove it completely from the mount there will still be a small current flowing. I did not measure how much and I bet a week of two will not be a problem for a healthy battery but any drain like this will eventually drain the battery, which is a bad thing in my book.
I have been directly wiring GPS units since my 2006 DL650 and with over 300,000 miles have never had an issue related to the GPS drawing current.

..Tom

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
" use the horn wire to power it."

So the horn is looking to be grounded by the horn button, it's powered all the time the key is on?
That's a handy place to grab power for a relay, or GPS.
It's already a fused source so it's safe. Neat-o!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm a bit concerned about your forks being raised that high, I don't recommend going higher than a 1/2 inch. :surprise:
Mine are at 22mm I think. It’s been a while. I went with whatever number I found here on the forum somewhere which was claimed to be ok. But good point, I’ll measure to make sure nothing has slipped since. I hit some nasty frost heaves and potholes at speed the other day. It’s still mud season here in shaded parts.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts