StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday went for a ride to attend Cottagers meeting up near Haliburton. on way back throughh Norland stopped at the local chip truck next to the grocery store at the lights to raise my cholesterol intake - ordered fries and pop and pop was free - according to the owner - bikers get free pop with every order.

Canada eh-gotta love it. Beautiful day for a ride and photo taking.

Safe rides

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
There is a guy about 1-1/2 blocks from my house. Awesome fries, but way too easy. I've at least started to walk to pick them up instead of driving.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Years ago my 3 daughters came up with a ranking system for Chip truck fries (from worst to best)
1) killers! - never again
2) alright but wouldn't do again
3) OK - could have been a bit better - too many little crunchy bits
4) pretty decent - I would risk losing a hand to steal some of Dad's
5) I would consider killing my sister to get her fries.

Fortunately we've never hit a 5 but have had a few 4s - namely - Pembroke, Brockville and Monifeith Fish and Chips (now called Seaway) in Monifeith Scotland. On that last one, the visits were 17 years apart and the owner remembered me when I stopped in the second time - that's customer service_

Nothing like throwing yourself into your research I always say..

Safe Rides,
Bob

·
Registered
538 Posts
Fish'n chip wagon on the dock in Killarney. Chips are pretty good, perch is out of this world. We've done several canoe trips up there where we pretty much starve ourselves the last day just so we can eat even more when we come out!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Years ago my 3 daughters came up with a ranking system for Chip truck fries (from worst to best)
1) killers! - never again
2) alright but wouldn't do again
3) OK - could have been a bit better - too many little crunchy bits
4) pretty decent - I would risk losing a hand to steal some of Dad's
5) I would consider killing my sister to get her fries.

Fortunately we've never hit a 5 but have had a few 4s - namely - Pembroke, Brockville and Monifeith Fish and Chips (now called Seaway) in Monifeith Scotland. On that last one, the visits were 17 years apart and the owner remembered me when I stopped in the second time - that's customer service_

Nothing like throwing yourself into your research I always say..

Safe Rides,
Bob
Scotland wins hands down. Anstruthers in Fife was voted the best in the UK. Very expensive though. I liked the chippie in St. Andrews. Anyhow, sorry to hijack.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Fish'n chip wagon on the dock in Killarney. Chips are pretty good, perch is out of this world. We've done several canoe trips up there where we pretty much starve ourselves the last day just so we can eat even more when we come out!
That's Herberts, the big red bus. I must make a trip up there next year.

Easily the best fish and chips in Ontario. I've done the 700km round trip on the V-Strom for lunch as it's that good.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Don Juan's, on Front St. downtown Toronto right infront of the convention center and across from the CBC building. I go there for something to eat when they have the December bike show on.

The fries are pretty good and the owner of the truck is a very unique individual. He's good for a couple of laughs, escpecially if you have a female companion with you. There is a reason he's called "Don Juan".

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
That's Herberts, the big red bus. I must make a trip up there next year.

Easily the best fish and chips in Ontario. I've done the 700km round trip on the V-Strom for lunch as it's that good.
So, what are you up to on Thursday?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Way beyond Thunder Bay

In 2002, I went through Ignace Ontario, and fortunately stopped at Captain Ron's, on the south side of the highway across from the IGA.

His fish was terrific, and the chips were wonderful!

I timed my return trip to arrive in Ignace utterly famished, and was delighted to find the place open (whew!). I wolfed down two orders, and took more with me.

I sure hope he is still there. It's a DANG long way to Ignace, from just about everywhere else.

Keith

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Damn, I figured you'd shoot me down. I gotta check with the Warden....being unemployed and all, I need to clear it with my provider.

Stand by, I'll be back.

Looks like I'm heading north for fish and chips.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like the old joke that ends with "no, I never made to confession but I got 6 more names......." I now have a few more places to find an excuse to visit. My bucket list includes a return trip to Scotland, with the Wee.

For a real good chuckle - rent the movie -The Van - starring Colm Meaney. It's about a couple of out of work guys who start up a chip wagon. One of my all time favorites.

Safe rides
Bob

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
There are two in Kinmount that are pretty good. My fav is the one south of town just up the hill. Getting there involves nice riding roads (503, Monck Road, 507 if you like, etc.) Just saying...

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Sounds like we need to plan our next ride with a chip truck in the route. Maybe we could go crazy and have a chip truck AND an ice cream stop. :cool:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kinmount - the one up the hill is Kelly's - I rate a 3.5. Midtown metropolitan Kinmount , next to post office is a pretty full featured chip truck - not sure of name but around a 3.2 I'd say. The most eclectic is up the road towards the Kinmount theatre , by the liquor store. The old fellow that runs it usually reads huge books on either law or human anatomy. I notice he blanches his fries before final cooking - the secret in my mind - and he's usually good for a lively conversation on weather or politics. He's a 3.5 solid but I give extra .3 for the entertainment factor.

Fries and ice cream - I may have to try harder to make the next group ride :D.

Safe rides
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Nunavut, Sturgeon?

Sturgeon,

I see you have Nunavut coloured on your tour map. How the dickens did you put your wheels on Nunavut?

I wanted to travel the James Bay road to Chisasibi QC this year, but didn't manage it. I speculated that I might find someone at that little town to ferry my Wee and me to a Nunavut island for a brief ride, but that will have to wait.

(Understand that major islands in James Bay, even Charlton Island, are part of Nunavut.)

To stay marginally on topic, I will also vote in favour of a ride that includes chips and ice cream. But next year, folks, as my time in Canada is just about done for 2008. Come and see me in FL, but do not look for poutine; it ain't there!

Keith

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sturgeon,

I see you have Nunavut coloured on your tour map. How the dickens did you put your wheels on Nunavut?

Keith
:p You're the first to notice. Not my own wheels, but I borrowed a dirt bike from a friendly native in Kugluktuk (formerly Coppermine) a couple of years ago at the end of a very long canoe trip down the Coppermine River. We went for a blast down a tundra trail, ending up at Bloody Falls back up the river. It took us almost a whole day to paddle from there to town, about an hour to get back on the bikes. Also managed to do the same in Iqualuit about 8 years ago, and had a ride on a quad in Resolute that same year. I've spent a fair bit of time in the Arctic just exploring, either in a canoe or on foot. I actually prefer that to riding! I've been to Inuvik the hard way, arriving there via Twin Otter from further north and east after paddling 800 km on the Horton River, but never ridden there. So the only piece of the Dempster I've seen is the very end.

Still have to hit Yukon and NL, think I'll continue to skip Sask...

I might be up for a James Bay Rd ride sometime.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
There are chip trucks in every small town down here in Lambton County. It seems I've ate lunch at every one of them lately, as my new job requires me to be on the road all day, from town to town.

The best IMHO, the chip truck at Reeces Corners (just a cross road on #22 about 15 miles east of Sarnia) generous portions, good fish and chips.

But for better ambiance there are also chip trucks in...

Petrolia, in the park at the middle of town.
Corunna, right on the St. Clair River in Guthrie Park.
Brights Grove, right on the shore of Lake Huron in Kenwick Park.
Sarnia, the most famous of all is under the Bluewater Bridge on the St. Clair River and others along the river in Bayshore Park and Centennial Park and on Lake Huron at Canatara Park.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts