StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Grey wolf...you seem like the guy to talk to about the vstrom...I have a 2011 that just fell over in my garage...can you point me to some great aftermarket mirrors. the right OEM one is broke.....the bike is brand new and the mirrors are cracking on the top of the post with out the tip over issue...I dont want replacement oem crap again.( junk)Thanks in advance ridefast99:biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I've had long stem Napoleon mirrors on my bike for five years. The glass is slightly convex and they haven't descended into rust like so much of the other aftermarket crap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You might want to take a look at a set of Aprillia Tuno mirrors.

I installed them on my current ride, a Versys but they would be an improvement over the stock V-Strom mirrors.
These are high quality mirrors at an extremely affordable price and the young lady in the parts dept. was a pleasure to deal with.

Here is the dealer with the best price on these mirrors that I found:

8104922 LH Mirror Assy 21.99
8104921 RH Mirror Assy 21.99

Touring Sport BMW
1431 Laurens Rd
Greenville, SC 29607

864-232-2269

Aprilia tuono mirrors image by Appalachian-Rider on Photobucket

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
LordSmoke posted the link I would have chosen.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
+1 They help remove part of the buffeting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What about this model from JCW, anybody order a pair yet? Nothing on the V is square, I thought this shape might be more complimentary.

JCwhitney.com item# 12214G

·
Registered
662 Posts
Another vote for Tuono mirrors; not as much visable area, but pretty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey ride fast, do you still have the original left mirror? I had the same garage wreck and am in need.
Thanks, Dale

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mirrors

Would highly recommend the Tuono mirrors. A marked improvement in reducing buffeting in cross winds. Have not had a problem with the reduced size.

·
Registered
120 Posts
YUP

I installed them on my current ride, a Versys but they would be an improvement over the stock V-Strom mirrors.
These are high quality mirrors at an extremely affordable price and the young lady in the parts dept. was a pleasure to deal with.

Here is the dealer with the best price on these mirrors that I found:

8104922 LH Mirror Assy 21.99
8104921 RH Mirror Assy 21.99

Touring Sport BMW
1431 Laurens Rd
Greenville, SC 29607

864-232-2269

Aprilia tuono mirrors image by Appalachian-Rider on Photobucket

These guys are good and in stock. You will love the mirrors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How to remove the mirrors ?

I would like to remove the mirrors. The manual simply says, "Remove mirrors", under the steering bar section.

Trouble is (with me, I know, I know) the two counter nuts appear to be made of ultra soft metal, and worse, have pre-rounded corners, giving the wrenches little purchase. Furthermore, the nuts are slightly smaller than 17mm, giving too much play.

Even resorting to a good crescent wrench for a tight fit, the nut body still wants to give before letting loose it's mate.

Suggestions ? Tear them up and buy new ? What's the secret ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Use a vise grip. Turn to the right to loosen as the nut is threaded backwards. (as I just learned from Mr. GW, the 2012+ DL-650 is the only one with left hand threads on the upper nut). So if you have a different model Strom, the upper nut is normal right hand threads. So turn left to loosen, right to tighten.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
When replacing the mirrors, the bottom piece needs to be removed from the black mount. That's a right hand thread. On the Glee only, the nut above that is a left hand thread.

Glee

Wee and Vee

·
Registered
255 Posts
I tried a couple different ones. I have some long stem folding ones, but they had some vibs (took my bar ends out for the bark busters). They were hard to see.

Went with the Aprilla ones (pictured in the top of the mirror thread linked above). From the Shiver as our KTM dealer as also a Aprilla dealer. They were 23 bucks or so from memory. No need for extenders or adapters. Solid with little vibs. Reduction in buffeting over the large Dumbo ears that came stock and way better looking.

That said, the Z1000 mirrors look cool as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts