StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow troopers

I know I won't be able to hit any of these for a few more months, but where do you Colorado guys and galls go when you hit the mountains, and you want to go on gravel roads?

I am interested in roads that would take me to some nice scenic areas where I can take photos of the peaks and mountain lakes. Are there any books with maps for people with motorcycles and the adventure itch, or should I just buy some jeep books and find roads that can be ridden?

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
40 views and not a single answer? At least recommend a book or a website please

·
Registered
900 Posts
Too many places to list. Some of the mountain passes are still dirt, and havn't been paved yet. Hopefully never will. You can start at Rampart Range Rd. Some great vistas there. Then Shelf Rd, and Phantom Canyon are great. These are either open all year, or open early in the Spring. Summer, try Weston Pass, Hagerman Pass,Shrine Pass,Boreas Pass,Cottenwood pass. Some good Jeep type books are ok, but some will be hard to do on the Strom.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You should probably check out ADVrider. They are sure to have a bunch of information on this. Also, you might check out Butler Motorcycle Maps. I have not looked at these yet but I'm going to get one this spring. Many of the non-major roads in Colorado start off as being paved at lower elevations but eventually turn to gravel/dirt at higher elevations.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Forgot to mention that Google Earth/Google Maps is a great online resource to use.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Try this for a 2 day ride. Head up 285, go over Webster to Montezuma, then through Dillon, up I70 to Shrine Pass. Up to Leadville, then over Hagerman. From top of Hagerman, you can go to Rudi Res, or Aspen, take your pick. Then down to Carbondale. Up the Crystal River, over McClure pass. After passing the Paonia Res. Dam take the Kebler pass rd to Crested Butte. Then Take Cement creek over to Taylor park, then Cotten Pass to Buena Vista. Then up toward Leadville, and over Weston Pass, back 285 to L.A. of the rickies. All thes passes are doable on a Strom, and many good camping spots along the way. Good vistas, etc. McClure Pass is the only paved one on this list.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's more like it - thanks!

·
Registered
900 Posts
For a nice early winter, or late winter day, try this. Watch for ICY:yikes: spots, especially in the shadows. So head out early, down to Monument,(the back way) for coffee. Then get through the Springs anyway you can.:headbang: The tak the short cut to Penrose,(I think it's hwy 15). On to Canon city. Then pick your choice back, Phantom canyon or Shelf Road. The back to Woodland park. Lots of options depending on time, weather etc. Then either Rampart Range rd, or through Deckers home. Again, it's should be a nicer warmer day when you do this. But I have done it in January. Mostly highway, but some dirt. OR
It can be wonderful exploring the Plains on nice winter days. We went to The Sand creek Massacre site right after Thanksgiving. great ride, much can be done on gravel. Check ou the maps and info on Fort Tours.com.
If you are a history buff, there are some great places to see on the Plains. Like Picketwire canyon, or Apishipa canyon. The Canyon Land of Colorado are Beautiful:thumbup: And doable on nice winter days. but as soon as the sun starts to hit the horizon it gets cold fast, and water starts to freeze on the highways.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again! I managed to ride a little bit a few days ago, but I just don't have time for any longer rides. Hopefully it will change when the weather changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The backway to Colorado Springs is CO 105. Paved but very scenic. Once you get to the Springs go west on US 24 to 26th St. Stay on it until you get to Gold Camp Road and then take that though the Tunnels and down into the Broadmoor area. Most of Gold Camp is in the city park and will be dirt.
In the Broadmoor area you can also access Old Stage Road which will take you to Victor, CO and from there you can take Phantom Canyon to US 50 outside of Canon City.
I agree though that you should do this when its warmer and avoid the ice that is hard to see this time of year.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quite a few suggestions on this page:

Motorcycle Colorado | Passes and Canyons : Dirt Roads and Side Trips

I've done a lot of dirt roads in Colorado, and one of the better days we had was camping in Paonia, right at the start of Kebler Pass. Woke up the next morning, rode Kebler Pass to Crested Butte - then south out of CB and turned East at Almont. That road is mostly paved until you hit the top, then you cross Cottonwood Pass, and roll into Buena Vista. From there, head North, and hit Independence Pass (all paved) into Aspen. We stayed up the road in Glenwood Springs, and actually hit the hot springs.

Further in the SW, there's Engineer Pass outside of Lake City. The bottom part is fairly easy, but it gets a little sketchy at times up top. Nonetheless, I got my Vee to 13k feet - well above treeline - on a dirt road. Of all the dirt passes in and around the San Juans, Engineer Pass is probably the tamest and it starts right in Lake City.

(*note, I think it's kinda cool that I've had my bike at 13k feet on a dirt pass, and have had her in Death Valley at -250 feet or whatever it was. Stroms rule.)

Phantom Canyon road from Victor to Canon City (just saw on Google maps it's named hwy 67?) is really fun too. Totally narrow and isolated, but pretty tame at the same time. Simple day ride from Denver

·
Registered
112 Posts
On ADV, there's a topic called "Geek's Guide to Colorado". It has some really good information. A lot of the passes in Colorado are do-able on a bike without problem. The area from Durango up to Ouray and Leadville can't be beat. Touratech also carries a Colorado riding map from Butler's that's pretty decent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts