Strom Trooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a spring trip up from L.A. to the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley, maybe add Lake Mead and the Dam. What else is there to see in that area?

Also, which is better for the Grand Canyon, North, South or West Rim?

Planning on late March or early April.

Thoughts, suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Chilly in March it's pretty high. Sequoia, Bryce, ZIon, Arches all in the general vincinity ( north ). Get a season National Park pass.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
Just east of FlAGSTAFF IS THE METEOR CRATER,
Some Indian ruins just east out of Flag too. Navajo Nat Mon off of hwy 160 before Kayenta, free camping and some ruins.
The food at Cameron trading post on hwy 89 was good.
South GC is quite busy but the North side is still closed for winter until Memorial day, I think.
Make sure you get your camp site before.. They do sell out.

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just east of FlAGSTAFF IS THE METEOR CRATER,
Some Indian ruins just east out of Flag too. Navajo Nat Mon off of hwy 160 before Kayenta, free camping and some ruins.
The food at Cameron trading post on hwy 89 was good.
South GC is quite busy but the North side is still closed for winter until Memorial day, I think.
Make sure you get your camp site before.. They do sell out.
Don't think I'll camp, just stay in cheap accommodations and eat at restaurants. Don't want to carry all that extra gear.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
There is a little motel on 160 before Kayenta. Anasazi Inn, Decent little restaurant too, Gorgeous French lady tourists in season. Ooo La La.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Williams, AZ near the south rim is on Route 66. Pretty cool place.

"The Corner" in Winslow, AZ is east of Flagstaff.

The Hoover Dam northwest of Phoenix is very cool.

Tortilla Flat near Phoenix. Great ride going into it, and the only restaurant in town has the walls papered in dollar bills.

Davis-Monthan Air Force Base is near Tucson (home of the aircraft "Boneyard") as is the Pima Air and Space Museum. Both cool spots.

In my opinion the entire state of Arizona is a great spot to visit. Fabulous scenery for an easterner, perhaps not so much from someone from LA though.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Gorgeous French lady tourists in season. Ooo La La.
Hah ...you brought back a memory.

Pulled up at the entrance to Joshua Tree National Park and got out to check the info.

French couple, looking like on honeymoon were just getting in their car.

Mischievous wind wanted a peek at her French lingerie. - shared the view with me.....lifted her dress absolutely straight up over her head.

Lovely slender body, nice undies and a gorgeous blush as she fought it back down.

Aways stuck with me that cute smile......she knew she had the body to take that in stride......

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hah ...you brought back a memory.

Pulled up at the entrance to Joshua Tree National Park and got out to check the info.

French couple, looking like on honeymoon were just getting in their car.

Mischievous wind wanted a peek at her French lingerie. - shared the view with me.....lifted her dress absolutely straight up over her head.

Lovely slender body, nice undies and a gorgeous blush as she fought it back down.

Aways stuck with me that cute smile......she knew she had the body to take that in stride......
Ran into a French couple on a Harley in Yosemite Valley a few years back. Charming accents

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
"aircraft "Boneyard"

Is that place cool or what?

Met some Harley riders in Bridgeport, he pronounces Lake Tahoe as "Lac Tahooie". Them Frenchies!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
If you're going through Monument Valley, you can go a little further north on US 191 and see Moab, UT. It's a pretty cool place, and you'd be able to see a lot more of it on a V-Strom than I was on a Harley Road King.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Lake Mead? Better hurry.
"Also, which is better for the Grand Canyon, North, South or West Rim?"
The bottom. Less crowded.

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lake Mead? Better hurry.
"Also, which is better for the Grand Canyon, North, South or West Rim?"
The bottom. Less crowded.
Yeah, I've seen pictures of the current water levels (and the towns that used to be under water)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Amen for 12 in Utah.. Escalante is beautifull.. but in March it might be pretty cold.

For sure do 66 from Kingman to Ash Fork... Better than fighting the semi's on 40.

Lake Meads Shore Line Drive, from the Boulder city side all the way to Overtone is a nice ride.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
On old 66 there are the Grand Canyon Caverns too, and a motel, did have gas also.. Longest contiguous section of old 66 I do belleeb.
The Bottom of the GC is a pain to walk out of and your legs suffer on mule back if you are not practiced at horsemanship. Yup few folks for a reason.

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! I guess I spend some weekends with a map and a matrix trying to figure out how much I can hit in six to seven days and still remember the trip. Just decided to keep the Wee for another year or two and see what additional mods and farkles show up for the new 1000 so I'll be doing this on the Wee.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did some of AZ last year May/June. Went to the Overland Expo in Flag. Cause I've been to Grand Canyon(south) and Meteor Crater before so I skipped them.
There are 2 nice Parks just north of Flag, Sunset Crater and Waputki. Both nice with good roads to ride:smile2:

After the expo I headed south to Sedona via Hwy 89a, gorgeous canyon in which I camped, but there are some B&B's there or Sedona. From there I did a day trip then got locked out from my camp due to the fire. Some great Anastazi ruins in the area, Tuzigot and Montezuma's Castle. The ride to Jerome was nice, but the road from Prescott was awesome 89 to 93 and Wickenburg. I'd like to do that part again!

After visiting friends in Phoenix I went south to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Lots of boringly straight roads until you get to the park. From there I wandered East up Kitt Peak and through Tuscon and Tombstone to the best MC road I've been on.
First I went down to Douglas in the SE corner of AZ and rode up 191 with a detour to the Chiricahua National Monument then returned to Hwy 191(used to be Hwy 666!) and followed it North.
The section from Clifton to Springerville is not to be missed! Wonderful riding and awe inspiring views! Then I went to The Petrified Forest and came home.

Lots to see in AZ and at least 2 good roads. I was told that the Vulture Mine Rd(by Wickenburg) is a good ride also but it wasn't on my route.

·
Super Moderator
4,933 Posts
Yes, the Aircraft Boneyard beside Davis-Monthan AFB. They do tours. Keep on going to Tombstone for a bit of culture. The old town is still there, boardwalks and all. Pay your money to enter the O.K. Corral and then ride up to Boot Hill to visit Lester Moore. Here lies Lester Moore, two slugs from a 44, no Lester, no more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts