StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to grab the tank w my knees while riding some gravel today and it all just slid. Are there pads to mount on the inside of the legs or other ideas to allow us to grip the bike w our knees while we ride..??

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
I went to grab the tank w my knees while riding some gravel today and it all just slid. Are there pads to mount on the inside of the legs or other ideas to allow us to grip the bike w our knees while we ride..??
That was your first mistake. :blink:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You want the bike to be able to move under you on a loose surface. Stay loose, not tight.

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
Arms loose, don't tense up, "do not squeeze tank with legs" look where you want to go, standing on pegs many times works very well. Practice....practice....

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, gents. I can use all the help I can get - riding on gravel and dirt yesterday was essentially the first time that I've ever tried it for a substantial length of time..WHAT A BLAST!!

I've dropped the pegs and put wider cleats on, but having some issues moving fore and aft while standing and riding over "whoops" (hence the query about gripping it w my knees, much like a horse). Pretty funny to watch me as the throttle went uP Down uP Down at the same time.

I did pick up Wicks&Baker's Adv Riding Techniques and the tutorial on standing in this section is a help, too.

Now for the fun part and off to practice some more. All suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Keep your weight on your feet (knees bent slightly) and just rest your hands on the grips, letting your arms float along with your body. That will keep your throttle more steady. Fingers covering clutch always.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Squeeze the tank on asphalt !!! I was shown at the track to squeeze tank, lean forward and try to kiss the mirror, ( wife calls it dropping her shoulder ) when entering a turn, You'll notice how much more comfortable doing the twisties is !! Don't want to tell you at what speeds you'll be able to go.

Gravel you need to be flexible, depending on surface you'll want to stand on pegs. You really do not want to hug bike when your rear fishtails on acceleration !

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Squeeze the tank on asphalt !!! I was shown at the track to squeeze tank, lean forward and try to kiss the mirror,
Different coaches have different ideas. Alternately, as you lean way over toward the pavement support your weight with your outside knee against the tank and the ball of your inside foot on the peg. Your inside knee can dangle out. The lean forward has something to do with how our bodies bend. Swivel on the seat so the outside knee is against the tank for support, shift across the seat keeping both hip bones on the seat, lean your upper body toward the inside of the turn, and you'll end up leaning somewhat forward--but leaning forward isn't the goal.

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
Different coaches have different ideas. Alternately, as you lean way over toward the pavement support your weight with your outside knee against the tank and the ball of your inside foot on the peg. Your inside knee can dangle out. The lean forward has something to do with how our bodies bend. Swivel on the seat so the outside knee is against the tank for support, shift across the seat keeping both hip bones on the seat, lean your upper body toward the inside of the turn, and you'll end up leaning somewhat forward--but leaning forward isn't the goal.
How I do it! :hurray:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was back over to Hillman again today practicing. Those K-60s are sure confidence inspiring!! A lot of what I rode today was either going up or down; which (of course) had me scratching my head about keeping my hips in front of the pegs as I stood on an uphill section. (I am hanging on to those bars for dear life on some of the uphill sections!! ARRRGGGGHHHHH (is there a hair-on-fire emoticon?? lol))

This stuff is serious fun. (Almost beached myself a couple of times getting too full, but gravity is certainly the great decider, eh??) I'm hooked!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts