StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is about handheld GPS. I and wondering what is being used and what works well. I am thinking of getting a hand held with maps vice one of those ones dedicated to road navigation, like a Tom Tom.
Commenst and opinsions please.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I use a Magellan 400 hand held that I really like. It's the same as the Magellan 500, only the 400 has a black & white display and the 500 is color. I usually put it on the map screen and have the two customized sections set for elevation and speed.

I have a neopreme case that's designed for handlebar mounting and it's easy to transfer back and forth from my Harley to my V-Strom.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I have a magellan explorists. Works great for most things. My only gripe is the lack of memory (easily fixed on ugpraded models). Its hardwired into a ram mount.

·
Administrator
13,193 Posts
I use a Garmin CPS 60Cx. I have a 2 gig card with all of North America loaded.

I use it on the Strom, in my car, in my Ultralight. Incredbly versatile, works well.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I have a Garmin 60Csx handheld with RAM mounts for both my bikes.

The screen can be a bit small for navigating in city traffic but it is a wonderfully versatile unit for the bikes, boat, car, hiking, skiing or what have you.

It is the single most useful farkle I've bought.

- Martin

·
Registered
538 Posts
+1 on the Garmin 60Cs (I didn't bother with the "x", got that on my watch) :D I've been using a variety of Garmin handhelds for years; this one is the best yet. I've heard some people complain about the smaller screen, but it doesn't bother me. Any bigger and it wouldn't be handheld, after all. Stick a 2GB card in it and it has tons of room for maps, tracks, etc.

·
Registered
165 Posts
+1 on the Garmin 60Cs (I didn't bother with the "x", got that on my watch) :D
You have a SirfIII GPS chipset in your watch? :)

The "x" models give you the SD card expansion and the better chipset. As well as compatibility with the NT version of the maps AFAICT.

The "s" gives you the barometric pressure/altitude/magenetic compass features.

I plan on getting the 60Cx soon.

·
Registered
538 Posts
You have a SirfIII GPS chipset in your watch? :)

The "x" models give you the SD card expansion and the better chipset. As well as compatibility with the NT version of the maps AFAICT.

The "s" gives you the barometric pressure/altitude/magenetic compass features.

I plan on getting the 60Cx soon.
Doesn't everyone??? :confused:

Sigh, you're absolutely right. I got my "s" and my "x" confused.

Dyslexics untie!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From Sudbury

Thanks guys, I noticed that most of you who have replied are from Ontario.
Zed88, please tell more about your hand guards.
I Look forward to more comments on GPSs

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Those are star series powermadd hanguards. They work very well, and have also proven to be very tough. You can get them at any atv outlet for 7/8" handlebars, and then I got the large extensions for winter riding. I also painted them with duplicolor bedliner which looks neat, and allows for quick touchups. They also have a detachable section for summer riding when its warm. It does pay to price shop as I have seen pricing anywhere from $30-90 for them.

Summer riding:

Winter extensions (painted black) on:

Product page:
http://www.powermadd.com/moto.html

I have found them to work very well for keeping the wind off your hands, and also for protecting the levers. Sadly enough my bike has tipped multiple times, on the grass and pavement, and also sustained a 20mph gravel wipeout. I still have my original levers (can't figure out all the others braking levers).

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Garmin 60Csx handheld with RAM mounts for both my bikes.

The screen can be a bit small for navigating in city traffic but it is a wonderfully versatile unit for the bikes, boat, car, hiking, skiing or what have you.

It is the single most useful farkle I've bought.

- Martin
Does the RAM mount for the 60Csx use the same cradle as the car mount or handlebar mount?

I ask because I mount my 60Csx via a handlebar mount. The cradle has cracked at the top of the "eyelet" -- I don't know if this is simply bad luck, or what. If the RAM mount utilises a heavier cradle, I might pony up some $$ for one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a used Lowrance I-Finder that I bought off Ebay for less than a hundred bucks. Works great, and takes SD cards for expanded maps. I splurged and bought the software maps of USA and Canada. I can upload a custom map with route to my SD card and I'm good to go. RAM makes a mount for it as well.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Does the RAM mount for the 60Csx use the same cradle as the car mount or handlebar mount?

I ask because I mount my 60Csx via a handlebar mount. The cradle has cracked at the top of the "eyelet" -- I don't know if this is simply bad luck, or what. If the RAM mount utilises a heavier cradle, I might pony up some $$ for one.
I'm not sure what the RAM car mount includes but my handlebar mounted version's cradle seems very sturdy.

It gets quite a rough ride on my (more off-road oriented) XR and there's never been a hint of a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another RAM mount for any application.

- Martin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts