StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to see if anyones installed a GPS tracker on their bike? I've seen serveral devices that have not subscription or extra running costs to them, they simply require a Mobile Phone Sim Card.
I'd like to get one so my wife can check up to see where I am on my Sunday rides and then I don't have to stop and make calls etc.... Plus it would be a good security device too.
Any info would be welcome.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I'd like to get one so my wife can check up to see where I am on my Sunday rides and then I don't have to stop and make calls etc....
What?
You are old enough to be married therefore you are old enough to spend some time without being checked up on.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
I use Google latitude on my iphone, my wife can track me on her ipad2...she is always nervous when I am out for a ride...she finds this comforts her....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Many thanks to those who've made suggestions. Unfortunalty I don't have an iPhone or anything that clever, being a carpenter I'd break it the first week! Nice idea with the two website idea though.
The reason I would like to be able to be tracked is exactly what CollingBob said, especially as I ride out alone most of the time.

So really that leaves me with a stand alone device such as the 'Spot' or something like this I found in the UK
http://www.ankaka.com/images/electronics/317/317.jpg
http://www.ankaka.com/mini-global-gps-tracker-slim-design-portable_p317.html
Please keep any suggestions going. Thanks again..

·
Registered
722 Posts
another smartphone option is CRADAR, no real time tracking, but if you go down, it gives a you window to turn it off, and if you dont, it sends a text to whomever you choose, saying you may be donw, and a link to Google maps showing your current location.

CRADAR

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just used INSTAMAPPER on my blackberry phone for a 2,500 mile trip. Only concern is if you do not have cellphone plugged into charger it will drain cellphone battery after a few hours. I did have mine plugged in and family was able to watch over internet program. Another concern if there is no signal for cellphone in mountains for example, there is no tracking and family can get overly concerned!!!! Instamapper shows travel of direction, altitude, and speed. I thought it worked great.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm not techy enough to figure the phone stuff out so I use a SPOT. Nice thing with those is the OK, Help & 911 buttons. My wife figures if she doesn't hear from me, I must be alive, but stopping and pushing OK sends a text msg to her phone & email with my lat/long.

This worked well on my Grand Canyon ride where there was no phone reception. I also have the tracking on so if she's close to a computer, she can watch the progress. Other family members like to take a look occasionally too.

If it adds to her peace of mind, it's worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
What?
You are old enough to be married therefore you are old enough to spend some time without being checked up on.
I'm surprised by your response K1W1.

Sometimes being married isn't about what you have to do for your spouse. Sometimes it's about what you want to do for your spouse. Many wives worry when their hubby goes out riding, especially if he's alone. If a simple tracking device can ease some of her concerns then it is worth every penny.

So, are you single or divorced?

Oh, and I use a SPOT, and if it makes me less of a man, so be it.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I have SPOT as well, it's great. When the wife is out and riding, we switch to her profile.. I will switch to mine when alone, and then we have a shared profile on spot - close friends are notified if we hit that special button.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is a droid app (probably an apple one too) called "wheres my droid" that can turn on and ring your phone remotely but also can acquire its gps coordinates. It is marketed as for lost phones, but if you are seeking to get lost on your bike, it should work fine. Probably all phone apps will require being in cell range though.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I use INSTAMAPPER on my iPhone. I like it. Even when I'm in the car on a long trip it cuts down on the 'when will you arrive calls' when going to pick somebody up or meet them.

On the iPhone I usually set it to "update position every ten minutes" and that saves the battery.

I just used INSTAMAPPER on my blackberry phone for a 2,500 mile trip. Only concern is if you do not have cellphone plugged into charger it will drain cellphone battery after a few hours. I did have mine plugged in and family was able to watch over internet program. Another concern if there is no signal for cellphone in mountains for example, there is no tracking and family can get overly concerned!!!! Instamapper shows travel of direction, altitude, and speed. I thought it worked great.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Chris:

Take a look here:
InstaMapper - Free Real-Time GPS Tracking

Instamapper works on a few 'basic' phones as well.

Many thanks to those who've made suggestions. Unfortunalty I don't have an iPhone or anything that clever, being a carpenter I'd break it the first week! Nice idea with the two website idea though.
The reason I would like to be able to be tracked is exactly what CollingBob said, especially as I ride out alone most of the time.

So really that leaves me with a stand alone device such as the 'Spot' or something like this I found in the UK
http://www.ankaka.com/images/electronics/317/317.jpg
Mini Global GPS Tracker - Slim Design & Portable
Please keep any suggestions going. Thanks again..

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't have an iPhone or anything that clever, being a carpenter I'd break it the first week!
Probably want to stick with the hammer when banging on things......:biggrinjester:

Sorry, couldn't resist.. :mrgreen:

I'm interested in the SPOT as well, but don't want to have a monthly fee between my long trips.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Awesome thread - interesting technology available. I have a GPS lap timer and it's fantastic and some of these other options seem very useful.

What? You are old enough to be married therefore you are old enough to spend some time without being checked up on.
Pic of wife in kitchen, barefoot?:green_lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts