StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a GPS tracker on a bike?

I recently listed my Wee as available for rental on www.twistedroad.com, and I'm thinking of installing a hidden GPS tracker on the bike.

I'm looking for info on recommended devices, and installation instructions.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to do what regular rental companies do and take a very large deposit on the bike which is refunded when it is returned. Not uncommon for $2-3,000 to be pre authorized on a credit card before the bike is released. This is over and above the rental fees.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Check the electronic surveillance laws in your state before installing a surreptitious mobile tracking device on a vehicle. In some states it would be a criminal act to install a device like that without the knowledge and/or consent of the person renting your motorcycle. Some states require two-party consent for a device like that, and some states forbid it entirely absent approval from a court.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm new to Twisted Road, but I don't believe the high deposit is an option with their program.

Surveillance laws shouldn't be a problem. The only time it would be used would be in the event of suspected theft, and GPS trackers are used for that purpose all the time without legal challenge in my state.

For those that have used one of these devices, what kind of power draw do they have? I imagine they're powered by the bike's battery; is the draw low enough that they can stay active for several days without killing the battery?

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I'm new to Twisted Road, but I don't believe the high deposit is an option with their program.

Surveillance laws shouldn't be a problem. The only time it would be used would be in the event of suspected theft, and GPS trackers are used for that purpose all the time without legal challenge in my state.

For those that have used one of these devices, what kind of power draw do they have? I imagine they're powered by the bike's battery; is the draw low enough that they can stay active for several days without killing the battery?
If you put a surreptitious GPS tracker on a bike you rent to another person, that's a different case than something like a Lojack that you have in your car in case someone steals it. When he rents the bike, it's just like when you rent a hotel room; you have a legal expectation of privacy. It's why in many states a hotel can't give the police legal consent to search a hotel room that you rent, or Hertz can't give the police consent to search a car you rent, or a landlord can't give police consent to search a house you rent, even though technically the hotel and Hertz and the landlord own the property you're renting. A thief who steals your car has no legal expectation of privacy. The issue isn't when you use the device; it's that the device was installed in the first place. The surreptitious tracking device may be illegal in your state to merely install in a vehicle you rent to someone else, or it may be illegal unless you inform the renting party that it's present on the bike, whether you're monitoring it or not. It may not be illegal at all, if your state has one-party consent for devices like a GPS tracker (which means that the only person who has to consent to the presence of the tracker is you).

Some states are very loose on surreptitious electronic surveillance and legal expectation of privacy. Some, like my home state, are very restrictive.

If you're looking for a place that specializes in devices like this, check out Brickhouse Security: https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-trackers/best-gps-trackers/

·
Administrator
5,375 Posts
Not many positive responses to your request.
I found this recent review for 10 devices. https://youngchoppers.com/10-best-motorcycle-tracking-devices-reviewed-compared/
Legal rights aside, I would just stick one under the tank somewhere and argue with the client who failed to return your bike. I cannot see Judge Judy having a bad response to you taking measures to protect yourself.
As noted in the reviews battery draw can be an issue for some models - probably more for you than a hirer as surely he will not be leaving it unused for a week or more.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I fitted a tracker to my MT09 (FZ09), originally for security ( I would not bother with the strom)

Powering it was easy but hiding the unit and the power wires was much harder.

I changed to a LI battery, it was much smaller than the AGM it replaced so I was able to hide the unit under the battery in a cavity I built.

The power draw is almost zero and they have there own back up battery that will last about a week.

It came in very handy when my son started to use the MT a lot, on one occasion he crashed on the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge in the rain, one call to the bike and I was able to pinpoint his position making retrieval very easy, another time he was running later than expected to the farm, when I called the bike I discovered he was travelling at over 180kph on a country road at night during a Kangaroo plague, we had words but his mum backed him up by saying what do you expect ? he is your son and he's just like you.

It was cheap to purchase and maintain and I was happy with the performance, some time back the system that supported my unit was shut down here in OZ so it stopped working, I never bothered to replace it I just ensure my insurance policy is up to date.

If I were in your position I would fit one but you just may find out something you would rather not know.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not many positive responses to your request.
I found this recent review for 10 devices. https://youngchoppers.com/10-best-motorcycle-tracking-devices-reviewed-compared/
Legal rights aside, I would just stick one under the tank somewhere and argue with the client who failed to return your bike. I cannot see Judge Judy having a bad response to you taking measures to protect yourself.
As noted in the reviews battery draw can be an issue for some models - probably more for you than a hirer as surely he will not be leaving it unused for a week or more.
Thanks; pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

I also appreciate the more detailed information on potential legal ramifications. I'll have a lawyer friend look into it for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone installed a GPS tracker on a bike?

I recently listed my Wee as available for rental on www.twistedroad.com, and I'm thinking of installing a hidden mini GPS tracker on bike.

I'm looking for info on recommended devices, and installation instructions.
I have been using the SpyTec GPS tracker for 3 weeks and overall I was impressed with the accuracy and ease of use of the tracker. Once I turned on the device, GPS started tracking the tiniest movement. I immediately put it in the car for a ride, and the GPS tracker was accurate to the point. It not only recorded my travel geographically, but also the distance traveled. The GPS tracker is compact and stylish, I like it, and it is waterproof and durable, which is also a great advantage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are several websites that sell tracking devices geared toward motorcycles but they all are lacking information about the capabilities and specs of the tracking device.

I have reached out to several companies asking questions but I have either not gotten a response or the questions were not really answered.

Some of the ones I have explored:
Here is what I am looking for in a tracking device:

• Ability to track latitude, longitude, speed, distance travelled at least every 60 seconds.
  • 4g/5g/LTE cellular. (US data coverage) - [i do realize that 5g is unlikely at this time]
  • Connection to constant power as well as switched power.
  • Ability to store location data in case you are out of cellular coverage.
  • Ability to track location data that includes latitude, longitude, speed, distance travelled using a mobile app and/or web site.
  • Ability to export data so it can be imported into Google Maps/Google Earth.
  • Small form factor in order to be installed covertly.
  • Weather proof/weather resistant (IP67 or similar rating).
  • Ability to set up alerts if moved without switched power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are several websites that sell tracking devices geared toward motorcycles but they all are lacking information about the capabilities and specs of the tracking device.

I have reached out to several companies asking questions but I have either not gotten a response or the questions were not really answered.

Some of the ones I have explored:
Here is what I am looking for in a tracking device:

• Ability to track latitude, longitude, speed, distance travelled at least every 60 seconds.
  • 4g/5g/LTE cellular. (US data coverage) - [i do realize that 5g is unlikely at this time]
  • Connection to constant power as well as switched power.
  • Ability to store location data in case you are out of cellular coverage.
  • Ability to track location data that includes latitude, longitude, speed, distance travelled using a mobile app and/or web site.
  • Ability to export data so it can be imported into Google Maps/Google Earth.
  • Small form factor in order to be installed covertly.
  • Weather proof/weather resistant (IP67 or similar rating).
  • Ability to set up alerts if moved without switched power.
Thanks for the answer. According to my information,Vigo Smart Track can do all the above. I talked to the developers, and they informed me their tracker provides real time data information + it records your rides and saves them in the app. Even when the bike is not ridden, the tracker is in sleep mode and it will notify you, if someone would move your bike or if your bike would fall over. In that case it would activate the SOS mode.

What was interesting was the fact, that it has its own battery which is charged when you ride the bike. And in the off-season it goes into sleep mode and the battery level can be tracked in the app. I think this is a great feature - better be safe than sorry.

So, I preordered it and will let you know how it works :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts