StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I meant to ask yesterday while I was quizzing the members about cameras but I have a question about GPS as well. I know the Zumo is a fine piece of equipment but I have read about some other models that might work very well on a Vstrom. Does anybody have any experience with the Garmin Rino series with the built in GMRS/FRS radio?

I think that it would be nice to be able to chat with another rider from time to time while on the road. Also, with the Strom, there is a lack of reserve wattage in regards to adding all sorts of electronic equipment. Having devices run on a few rechargable batteries might be the ticket. The newest in the Rino (530HCx) line can be had for a couple hundred dollars and they're waterproof.

How bout it, anybody using one of these?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
A GPS uses so little current it is not a factor in total bike output. It's heated gear and lights that draw big.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Zumo has battery pack that will run the unit for about 4 hours so you don't need to wire it to the bike if you don't plan on all day rides, but the unit doesn't use that much power from the bike.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The reason for getting the Rino is to get GPS and FRS in one unit, but for GPS, the Zumo is far easier to use, and it has other uses too, XM, MP3, and bluetooth communications.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts