Strom Trooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one got the new Garmin Zumo 590? This is about sunlight readable and display specs. I have 4.3 in Nuvi 2455 having WQVGA COLOR TFT display. Garmin specs the very same display for the Zumo 665. A Garmin tech agreed the Z 665 would be no brighter than the Nuvi. The Nuvi brightness is unacceptable and unusable even with a 3.5 in sun shield I built for it on a RAM mount. Garmin specs a "transreflective" display for the Z 590 and the tech guys there says it uses sunlight to boost the brightness of the display. Wikipedia says about this: A transflective liquid crystal display is a liquid crystal display (LCD) that reflects and transmits light (transflective = transmissive + reflective).[1] Under bright illumination (e.g. when exposed to daylight) the display acts mainly as a reflective display with the contrast being constant with illuminance. Only in dim and dark ambient situations is an auxiliary transmissive backlight needed. An early application were digital LCD wristwatches. In dim ambient light or at night a pushbutton-activated backlight allowed reading of the display in its transmissive mode.

So is there a trooper who has the Z 590 and would say if it is really sunlight readble. The thing is $900! and the Nuvi is $95. ????????????? thanks.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I'm not a dedicated GPS user, so I can't speak to specific brand GPS visibility. I turn on the Tomtom app on my iPhone when I need to reach specific address and can view it on the 4lock mounted to the handlebars.

BUT.......my primary means of receiving directions from the Tomtom is through the bluetooth headset in my helmet. I might glance at it to confirm what I'm hearing - when traffic is very light, but.....Whatever GPS unit you use, I wouldn't take the risk of having to get it's directions primarily visually. :thumb down:

For the same reason, I don't even have it on until the need for it becomes a necessity. I rode across country long before they were invented and value the sense of direction/map reading/ sign deciphering I learned from that trip and I don't want to let that skill atrophy. :beatnik:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
display brightness

I presume that you set the display brightness to 100%

My NUVI 2595 was useless at 50%brightness, much better at 100%.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have found the 590 to be readable in direct sunlight. The price is a bit high, but the 590 comes with City Nav lifetime map and both a car and motorcycle RAM mount which can add another $200 if you have to purchase them separately. Is it worth $300 more than the Tom Tom? I don't know as I've never used one, but the 5" screen is very nice as well as having directions come over my Sena via BT (I tend to sight see a bit and miss upcoming turns on the GPS). The weather app is a nice feature and allows you to see animated color radar on your screen. It even alerts you to thunderstorms and flash floods in the area I found out the other day....lol. It allowed me to reroute and avoid a approaching cell. GPSCity was offering a 10% ADVRider discount if you contact them via PM from the ADV site. If you have the extra money I'd go with the 590. You always pay a premium for the latest and greatest bells and whistles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've had problems with all my GPS being sensitive to sunlite readability.. Screen "dullers", hoods, the works and nothing worked. My buddy said he never had any problems..
Low and behold I found the problem! for me at least.. It is my high reflective riding jacket. The bright jacket reflected sunlite INTO the gps screen. My buddy wears black.. no reflection. I put my hand on my chest and shoot! I can see ! I can angle the gps screen to avoid the reflection or get a jacket with a dark chest ..
YMMV but works for me..

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had problems with all my GPS being sensitive to sunlite readability.. Screen "dullers", hoods, the works and nothing worked. My buddy said he never had any problems..
Low and behold I found the problem! for me at least.. It is my high reflective riding jacket. The bright jacket reflected sunlite INTO the gps screen. My buddy wears black.. no reflection. I put my hand on my chest and shoot! I can see ! I can angle the gps screen to avoid the reflection or get a jacket with a dark chest ..
YMMV but works for me..
Since switching to a white mesh jacket I've had the same issue. I usually am connected through bluetooth but there are times when I want to see upcoming features and I'll have to put my glove up to be able to see it clearly.
I've been looking at new jackets with some black on the front but I don't want a full black jacket (even a mesh one) in Florida.

·
Super Moderator
12,970 Posts
I rarely use the voice navigation commands (unless in completely unknown cities) but always am looking at the maps.

I use the maps in conventional Map-view with North up so that I can have an idea of what roads are around me (ie situational awareness of sorts.)

I don't' have a 590 but have a 660. Its good in sun but not amazing. The 590 is supposed to be much better and the way technology is improving I'm sure it's a nice step ahead.

..Tom

·
Registered
269 Posts
[QUOTE I don't want a full black jacket (even a mesh one) in Florida.[/QUOTE]

Aye men to THAT !! I always wear light clothes to reflect the sun in Floriduh..
Shoot even my house is white along with my roof!! Electric bills real low…

I've been thinking of having a tailor sewing a dark panel just where it reflects off the gps… Cripes I'm even farkling my clothes!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Tnkrplt's response was very helpful. I will try Mitch96's methods. I always were a safety vest and I did notice it flapping in the NUVI display. I have a tank bag with a reflective clear plastic top cover and usually have a large yellow part pass in it. I've got a plain black leather jacket and will try it. I can change the angle of the Nuvi on the bar mounted RAM mount and somethings that will improve things but with the sun shield I made the range of motion is limited. I wish I could see a TT Rider but I won't get one anyway because I couldn't use the map sys I have built up. Plus, my research is that the transreflective display is paramount because other ones all rely on backlighting that will never compete with the sun but the TR display uses the sun. It sunk in once I found a Wikipedia article saying the TR display was used on LCD watches the better ones had a botton to push in dim light for backlight or else the watch could not be seen. The Nuvi and all Zumos execept the 590 have the same problem. I presume all marine and aviation Garmin plotters use TR and backlight as otherwise they would be useless and dangerous in some conditions in a plane.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
G 590

I ordered it today. As far as I can tell there are no other auto/moto GPS devices with the transreflective display I'll report in the future.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
G 590 Review

1. It is sunlight readable all the time. Facing a mid afternoon sun, I could see in the display my flapping yellow safety vest but still see the display.
2 It has about 3 sq in more display area than the 4.3 in Nuvi and nearly all of it is map because you can't display lots of other things: gone are elevation and time to destination at the same time but you can display a lot of those things on the fly one at a time.
3. It took my mini sd card with 24K TOPO and uses it fine. The user interface is different enough that I will take some time getting used to it.
4. I won't use the connectivity features.
5. The included Moto mount is a very robust RAM mount with a thick cable running out the side that has pwr and grn wires, audio out, headset in, and a USB (in or out I don't know). When connected there is no sound. If you use the included car pwr cable, 12 v to mini plug on the back of the G 590, you will have sound.
6. As you all know, or should know, there are very few sunny days here in the Seattle Area so I feel a little foolish for shelling out for this thing when the Nuvi 2455 worked just fine except in bright sunlight, which as you know only too well, is so rare in Seattle. A Texican would surely find the G 590 worth every penny.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a garmin 595lm and it is hard to see in daylight. Has anyone compared it to the tom tom 550 on a group ride to compare them side by side?

Larry

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
AHH I love old tech threads and the information you can glean from them. While this is originally from 2014 kudos to the person that realized the glare is from their high viz jacket. I will be looking at phone anti glare screen protectors that can be cut to size for my Nuvi project

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
AHH I love old tech threads and the information you can glean from them. While this is originally from 2014 kudos to the person that realized the glare is from their high viz jacket. I will be looking at phone anti glare screen protectors that can be cut to size for my Nuvi project

Zombie thread for sure!

Anyway I use a phone for GPS and have it Ram mounted on the handle bars. To reduce glare I just tilt it a bit, usually doesn't take much.

Simple and cheap like me. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Zombie thread for sure!

Anyway I use a phone for GPS and have it Ram mounted on the handle bars. To reduce glare I just tilt it a bit, usually doesn't take much.

Simple and cheap like me. :grin2:
I dare you to squeeze a dollar and get change to drop out like I do!

My thought is to buy a non glass anti-glare screen in matte made for an iphone + and cut it down. If I squeeze hard enough I can get the $5 in change from a hundred....ones

1 - 17 of 17 Posts