StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here had any luck with any particular GPS units? How is it connected to power? Does anyone use a model designed for car use on their bikes?

Note: I'm looking for a model to be used within the US that is updateable. Not overly concerned with Bluetooth, FM, picture shows, or the like.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi 350 without a hitch. Carry a zip lock baggie in case of rain. You will get one for a lot less then the Zumo. I plug into a Powelet connection for power. but it has a two hour battery on board.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that someone else had been thinking (and used) a car unit on their bike. Seems like a more cost effective solution since I am not sure of the differences between a motorcycle specific unit and a car unit other than the water tolerance.

Oh, I did note the posting in the wrong forum. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you want a nice unit that wont break the bank look at this one

http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=263

Youll have to power it off the bike as it has no battery but its not that hard. Power and ground ran to battery. Pretty simple.

http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=279

Then youll need some kind of ram mount to mount the cradle to the bike. I use one of these and it works great. Granted I have a zumo mounted to it but it should still work

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2596/618/

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi 350 without a hitch. Carry a zip lock baggie in case of rain.
Just a note that you will destroy the connectors the first time you forget the baggie. Don't ask me how I know...

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have the new TomTom Rider 2nd version. Very impressed with it. Specifically made for bike use with its waterproofing and vibration proofing. Comes with RAM mount and Scala Headset and is Bluetooth compatible.

There are notable differences in features between it and the Zumo line-up. I looked into what I wanted/needed in a GPS and decided to go with the TT.

Unfortunatly, the weather here has precluded me from using it on the bike yet, but I have tinkered with it over the last few months in the car and I am very pleased with it.

The only thing I suggest is that when you get it, check to see what map version it has. TomTom will give you an upgrade from the V667 map to the V675 with one phone call.

Cheers

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
2610 - Motorcycle Friendly

If you want a nice unit that wont break the bank look at this one

http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=263

Youll have to power it off the bike as it has no battery but its not that hard. Power and ground ran to battery. Pretty simple.

http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=279

Then youll need some kind of ram mount to mount the cradle to the bike. I use one of these and it works great. Granted I have a zumo mounted to it but it should still work

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2596/618/

Another good thing about the 2610 is that it is actually recommended for a motorcycle, while many other units are not. I've seen posts on this website from other 2610 riders claiming the unit stands up to rain & vibration pretty well.

·
Registered
430 Posts
C'mon guys, its not that hard to do a google search and find the zumo for around $520 plus maybe $20 for delivery. When you find a site selling for a low price then check out the number of satisfactory reviews(make sure there are a few thousand reviews), make sure the unit is brand new with full USA warranty. Make sure the seller is in the USA. Talk to them on the phone so you can see if they are legitimate and then order it on the phone and not online. I did a google search tonight and in under 30 seconds found a "trusted seller" selling the zumo 550 for $519. Personally, I think there's either a big update or a new motorcycle model coming out this year and that's why these prices are falling so fast. But, Garmin will not divulge.

·
0 Posts
The best "legitimate" price I've seen, and where I bought mine, was PC Nation. $640 shipped, they're a Garmin Dealer, and Garmin will give you the free upgrade to City Navigator 2009 that will be released later this month if bought from them.

I'd be a little leary of someone selling it much lower than that.

BTD.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I like the Garmin 60csx... portable and lots of features, the best of which is waterproof.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm still using my Garmin 276C. Holds many tracks and files. Should be able to find good used ones on people wanting to upgrade. Water resistant. Mine has been in hard rain / very dusty conditions for days and days without problems. Has battery but I have it connected to the battery. You don't want to forget it on for a day or two or it will drain your battery.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i have a mio320, excellent unit, nice big wide screen, good performance, highly customizable (just google mio forums and see all the hacks), haven't mounted it to my old bike yet gonna try it this summer, was a buckfitty at the ratshack on black friday, think its regularly 2bills even now

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm very happy with my 276C. It has a quick processor and long battery life. Riding with a friend who has a Zumo 550, his screen redraw speed was significantly longer than mine and he kept missing turns on a route we made.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Mio C-520. Teleatlas maps on board, (more detail then Navteq.). SD card slot. Music, video, bluetooth. Large touch screen. Highly configurable. Battery on board. Standard 12v connector. Costs about 1/3 less then the comparable, top-of-the-line Garmin, but has just as much stuff to it.

Link to a pic of the cockpit of my bike.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/barry_buchanan/2008%20Modifications/2008ModificationsCockpit01.jpg

You do need to remember to bring a baggie and rubber bands. The unit isn't waterproof. But, if you spend an extra $80 at Circuit City, over the next two years, they don't care what happens to it; they'll give me a new one.

You can purchase the unit cheaper online, but the advantage of a replacement warranty was worth the extra cost to me to buy from a Big Box Store.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Garmin 2720.

I move it between the bike and the car, it has text to speech (it says the street names in this cool Aussie female voice) no hard drive so it's more vibration resistant and is waterproof to IP7 standards. No blue tooth, MP3's or pictures.

Downside: No onboard battery (hardwired to Centech AP-2 and attached with Garmin MC mount).

One thing to keep in mind picking a GPS: can you do a search without knowing the town/city? Might not seem like a big deal but the Magellan I had before the Garmin couldn't find any location without it. Example: Ohio route 60 and Ohio route 16. I had been through there and it's in the middle of BFE but it was the start of a great road. No other unit but the Garmin was able to find it unless I knew the town (Dresden). Also their tech support is in Kansas, if that kind of thing is important to you.

My .02

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the continued replies.

I'm looking at getting something soon. Will hopefully get a good deal on the 60cx due to its jack-of-all-trades capabilities. BUT.........still have a couple of others in mind\\

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just got the 76Csx and I love it. I also bought the Garmin handlebar mount. It uses 2-AA batteries instead of an internal battery, so if I have a need I can stop at any store and pick up a pair. I do a bit of scouting for fishing/hunting/cool spots, so it's nice to be able to pull the unit off the bike, mark the waypoint where it is, and head off the beaten path. It also floats (really the only reason I got it over a 60) so I don't have to worry about dropping it in water. Another plus over the bigger Zumo units--I can take the 76 off when stopped and it slips right into my jacket pocket.

I bought the unit, the mount, a power outlet, a 2GB memory card, and City Navigator 2008 (necessary if you want turn by turn directions), and two day delivery, for less than $500 from Amazon.com.

One problem with using a car GPS that I found out the hard way. My wife and I got a SPc530 for Christmas, and I struggled with it for a while before finding out that many car units (and cheaper units for that matter) do not support routes. So, if you get a route sheet for a ride you can't enter it into your GPS like you can with the Zumo or GPSMAP units. It will only find your way one address at a time.

I've been running my 76 off battery power since I got it last week, and it lasts for about 8 hours before I have to recharge the batteries (I already had NiMH batteries and a 15 minute charger for my cameras) but will be hardwiring it to the bike soon.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts