StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get with the 21st century and get a GPS to mount on the Wee. What brands/models do you guys like?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Garmin Quest 2 here. I use it on the bike and in the car. Maps are all pre-loaded, it's waterproof, very compact, and works like a charm.

On bike, attached to the Pat Walsh radar shelf:

In car, with the included car kit (crummy picture):

Wow, they have these for a great price now:
http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=275

I paid more than that for mine and I bought it from another member on ADVRider. Doh!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I STRONGLY second the Zumo 550 route. It has bluetooth, so it can link up with a phone and headset and manage your calls off of the GPS unit, so that you can talk while you ride (not that it's recommended but for a quick call to tell someone you're running late or something, it's great). It's also a touch-screen.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've been doing the "I think I want a GPS for the bike" for a while now. I did a ton of research and kept coming back to the Zumo 550. Sure there are a lot of very capable units out there for a lot less money but for what you get with the 550, it's still a good value and you'll never be thinking "what if". Plus, it's all set up to use in the car too and the bluetooth will be very nice then.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
What is your budget?

The Zumo is great for motorcycles, but still $500 or more. I have the 550 and a Nuvi 760. I've owned the 2610, 2720, 2820, Quest, Nuvi 360, Nuvi 660, and Nuvi 760 (and some handhelds). Before I bought the Zumo, I used my Nuvi 660 in the map pocket of my tank bag.

If your budget is tight, some folks are going with the old Garmin 2610's or 2720's. Others are buying one of the low-end Nuvis, like the 200 or 250W, available new for $200 or less.

Zumo
Comes with great mount
Easy to work with gloves
Can share routes with SD card
Internal battery

2610:
Customizable front screen
Less than $200
Can optimize route with multiple destinations.
Physically large
Doesn't have GarminLock
No internal battery, high sensitivity receiver.

Nuvi series:
Not considered "motorcycle friendly" by Garmin - or waterproof
Large, bright display.
Can't display speed and map at same time if route is selected.
Most models can only contain one via point and one destination on route.
Has internal battery, useful for walking or biking.
Has high sensitivity receiver, recalculates quickly.
Some models have internal antenna
Some models have bluetooth, FM traffic support

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
i use an asus mypal a636n as a pda, it has a gps and maps in it.

when i'm riding lost, i pull over, turn it on , look at the map, program a route if i want. and put it in the transparent pouch on top of my tankbag.

i think it's way more practical than a dedicated gps unit. i can use it in a car, on an airplane, while walking through any city i don't know... plus it kleps track of my contacts, appointments, holds tons of mp3s and allows me to connect to the net and check my email from anywhere that has cellphone coverage.

not having it semi-permanently mounted on the bike is a good thing for me. otherwise there's no adventure in the motorcycling anymore. i believe there's no fun in knowing where you're going to end up. i do however like teh security of always being able to find my way back or to a gas station...

and for 400$, ithink i got the best of everything. i like the versatility.

what mostly closed the deal for me was the battery life. even whith the gps on with voice prompts and bright lcd, and while playing mp3s much of the time, the thing still had 40% battery life left after 8 hours of continued use.

personally, i'd never own a dedicated gps unit. that'd be like just owning a dedicated motorcycle that only does one thing. versatility is fun!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Garmin 60csx, but then I really thought about my use case. Sure, I want a GPS for hiking, but I do a LOT more riding than hiking. So, after factoring in a RAM mount for the 60csx, hard-wire cable, and the CityNav DVD, I decided to go with a Zumo 550. I got a great GPS, great bike mount, decent car mount, voice turn-by-turn direction, and the maps were included. I couldn't be happier. If I start getting lost of my hikes, I'll pick up the 60 :)

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Basic, but still good...Garmin 2610. A lot of people really like this unit.
http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=263

Or, go all out, spend the $$$ one time and be done with it.
Garmin Zumo 550.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=E1GRZUMO550

I went Zumo 550 route.

BTD.

I wanted a Zumo 550 but the price was way up there, especially after you add the XM antenna.
Someone reccomended the Garmin 2610 refurbished unit so i ended up getting it. It is a really nice unit for under $200. I'm very happy with it.
I got mine from the link above, very good service.

·
Registered
376 Posts
IMHO, the difference between the newer units and the discontinued models is getting so large that the difference in price is justified. While mp3 players and jpeg viewers may seem like fluff, with new features like Garmin's TourGuide (the point of interest can have a proximity distance set that will trigger an mp3 audio file to play, and/or a jpeg picture to display when approached at the set distance) - rides could be created that will give recommended corner speeds, warn of decreasing radius, a switch from pavement to gravel ahead, etc... Garmin has scenic MAD rides (for a fee - http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/scenicroutes ) - not sure what all they entail. It's likely that tourism groups will make similar downloads (free?) for attractions. (imagine riding by a historic marker and hearing about it through the GPS).

I also find spoken street names ("turn right on Groh Ave in 100 meters") make for a much more confident turn then just "turn right in 100 meters" - I don't have to look at the screen to double check.

The newer GPS' generally have much brighter screens in direct sunlight (even from the Nuvi 680 to Nuvi 750), more colors (256 on most older models), much higher sensitivity receivers (my eTrex won't Sat lock in my house, while the Nuvi 750 will), and can give you speed warnings (if map has speed limits on it, or if you create zones).

I use the FM transmitter in the Nuvi 750 (in a Ram cradle) to a Sony Walkman armband FM radio with JVC Marshmallow earbuds - I can listen to mp3/route commands on a FM preset, or listen to FM radio on other presets.

I'm still waiting on a "true" motorcycle GPS - it would have voltage display, temperature display, wind chill warnings, gyro readings (like the Sony NV-U83T), "gesture" commands on the touchscreen (i.e. draw a circle on the screen with your finger will set a route home), intercom function built-in (fm or bluetooth), mpg calculator, tire pressure indicators (rfid), and cost less then $500.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you want nearly all the features of the Zumo, but don't need Bluetooth capability, the Garmin Streetpilot 2730 is a great unit. Comes bundled with the XM antenna, at considerably less cost. One other difference between the two is that it doesn't have internal batteries.

If you're thinking of using it with a com unit, you could always add the BT adapter to the autocom or starcom, and still have your BT.

Personally, I never use the phone when I ride so the 2730 is a great unit for me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can't justify replacing my Garmin Quest. Very easy to transport in your pocket and very functional on the bike.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Just as important to the hardware choice is the software choice. Do research in comparing Navteq and Teleatlas maps. These are the two largest digital software map providers to the hardware manufacturers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A couple years ago I started looking into GPS options for my car, and since I had a Palm Tungsten T3, I didn't see any point in spending money on hardware. So I bought a Bluetooth GPS receiver to pair with the Palm, and TomTom Navigator 5 software, which turned the Palm into the equivalent of one of the TomTom automotive units at a fraction of the cost.

I've mounted this setup to the bike as well, but it doesn't work out very well because the Palm screen is too dim for easy legibility in sunlight.

But I flat-out refuse to spend $500+ on a motorcycle-specific GPS unit when I can get nearly all the same features from a $150 automotive unit. So I'm thinking of buying a TomTom ONE or ONE XL to replace the Palm.

--mark

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I STRONGLY second the Zumo 550 route. It has bluetooth, so it can link up with a phone and headset and manage your calls off of the GPS unit, so that you can talk while you ride (not that it's recommended but for a quick call to tell someone you're running late or something, it's great). It's also a touch-screen.

+1 On the 550. It can pretty much do it all, knowing its allot of money, I thinkof it as a base unit which I can upgrade as I progress in technology. Blue tooth and MP3 are stock, additonal components to add on are XM radio, and doppler radar.
Best of all is the Garmin Mapsource is included in the package. Once you start checking prices, keep in mind that this little CD will cost at least another 100 or so if it was not included. Its somthing you'll need with garmin units.
That was the curve for me when i was pricing. I just uploaded my route for the weekend, 2 days and a 1000 or so miles.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have the TomTom Rider2. Comes with ScalaRider bluetooth headset and RAM mount. It uses an SD card, so you neednt ever worry about running out of space.

It has plenty of motorcyle features, is vibration and waterproof.

I like it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I wanted a Zumo 550 but the price was way up there, especially after you add the XM antenna.
Someone reccomended the Garmin 2610 refurbished unit so i ended up getting it. It is a really nice unit for under $200. I'm very happy with it.
I got mine from the link above, very good service.
Get all GPS units cheaper at GPS Discount, plus great service.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm still in the stone age with my GPS V on a handlebar mount. Wired to a cig plug put under the fairing. Never had any problems with it for many years and several bikes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts