StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can't (and probably never will be able to) afford a zumo :thumbdown:, so those are out, i'd just like something that works well, dont have to worry about getting wet, and can plug into my chatterbox to listen to music (and hear directions)

i've tried searching and the results are tldr have seen 5xx nuvis (no mp3 apparently) and 2820 (hard to find and insufficient data about audio hookup)

suggestions?
or should i just give up now lol

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
i can't (and probably never will be able to) afford a zumo :thumbdown:, so those are out, i'd just like something that works well, dont have to worry about getting wet, and can plug into my chatterbox to listen to music (and hear directions)

i've tried searching and the results are tldr have seen 5xx nuvis (no mp3 apparently) and 2820 (hard to find and insufficient data about audio hookup)

suggestions?
or should i just give up now lol
If you want all those features, I think you may be stuck with a Zumo.

There are cheap models that are waterproof (Nuvi 500/550), and many that have Bluetooth and MP3 players, but none that stream the music and voice directions via BT, except Zumos.

All the Nuvis with BT are for connecting to a phone, not a wireless headset. I think only the Zumo can send audio voice directions via BT.

I used to be on this kick for some time, and finally came to the realization that:

- I really enjoy my iPod best for music, stored in my chest pocket with wired headphones.

- I really don't need spoken directions on my motorcycle, I can glance at the screen once in a while, see how far the next turn, and what street it is.

So, I ditched the TomTom and Nuvis that I had bought to test on the bike, and bought a 60CSx.

Smallish screen (non touch), waterproof, 18hr battery life, loaded with options for custom routing, excellent screen that's viewable in bright sunlight.

It has a few compromises, and is not as "pretty" as the 4.3" car units, but I'm lovin it now.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I came to similar conclusions as Chia, and similar solutions down a slightly different path. I picked up a refurbished Garmin 2720 (big brick of a GPS, but fairly advanced in all its features) and for music or phone, if I really feel it necessary, I run wired headphones/mic from my blackberry. It all works.

I still don't think the GPS/phone designers have it all together yet, at least to the point where I'll shell out $750+ for a new Zumo. Maybe in a few more years...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have actively used a 2730 on several bikes and I have another used one on the way for the wee. I cant comment on using it with an intercom but I dont believe the zumo has any additional capability there. The 2820 is an almost identical unit but offers bluetooth. Personally I dont ever have the desire to talk while riding. Its waterproof, easy to use (I actually dig the keyboard better than my zumo) and unless its been updated, the zumo doesnt auto dim for nighttime like the 2730 or 2820. I know my zumo 550 never did that.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The Zumo has day and night modes and the user can select either or put it on automatic. It changes modes at dawn and dusk when on auto.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
What do you want to know about a 2820? I've been using one for 3 years now.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The Zumo has day and night modes and the user can select either or put it on automatic. It changes modes at dawn and dusk when on auto.
Thanks Greywolf. was this something they added as a firmware update. I bought my Zumo when it first came out. I could change it for dya or nighttime but only manually. There was no automatic adjustment.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I have actively used a 2730 on several bikes and I have another used one on the way for the wee. I cant comment on using it with an intercom but I dont believe the zumo has any additional capability there. The 2820 is an almost identical unit but offers bluetooth. Personally I dont ever have the desire to talk while riding. Its waterproof, easy to use (I actually dig the keyboard better than my zumo) and unless its been updated, the zumo doesnt auto dim for nighttime like the 2730 or 2820. I know my zumo 550 never did that.
It will change to night mode by default, at sunset.

The big differences in the 27xx and Zumo: physically larger, doesn't have an internal battery or high sensitivity receiver.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It will change to night mode by default, at sunset.

The big differences in the 27xx and Zumo: physically larger, doesn't have an internal battery or high sensitivity receiver.
The lack of battery was the killer for me.

I know there are great deals on the 27XX series 2nd hand, and refurbished, but not being able to take it off the bike, and play with it during lunch was not something I wanted to live with.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Thanks Greywolf. was this something they added as a firmware update. I bought my Zumo when it first came out. I could change it for dya or nighttime but only manually. There was no automatic adjustment.
I got mine about a year after it came out. The auto function has always been on mine. I do all the updates too.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the responses

i dont care about bluetooth really, i dont need to talk to people on phone when i'm the strom

so it was really just the waterproofness (just so it will survive being on the bike out in the rain while riding), and the ability to output music and navigation cues out of some kind of audio jack that i can plug into the 1/8" stereo input on my chatterbox

inputting routes built on computer would be handy but not necesary

·
Registered
609 Posts
thanks for all the responses

i dont care about bluetooth really, i dont need to talk to people on phone when i'm the strom

so it was really just the waterproofness (just so it will survive being on the bike out in the rain while riding), and the ability to output music and navigation cues out of some kind of audio jack that i can plug into the 1/8" stereo input on my chatterbox

inputting routes built on computer would be handy but not necesary
It appears you have described a 2730 to the T. You would need to look for one used since they dont make it anymore. Just make sure it comes with the XM antenna. You will most likely need a motorcycle kit to mount it on a bike. The hard wire kit gives a audio jack to tap into inline with the bike as well as a audio jack on the unit. I had an ad on the wanted category and ended up turning one down. You can go over there and contact the guy and see if he still has it. The 2730 is waterproof, accepts routes, has an mp3 player, comes with the xm antenna and gives you access to xm radio, weather and traffic.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It appears you have described a 2730 to the T. You would need to look for one used since they dont make it anymore. Just make sure it comes with the XM antenna. You will most likely need a motorcycle kit to mount it on a bike. The hard wire kit gives a audio jack to tap into inline with the bike as well as a audio jack on the unit. I had an ad on the wanted category and ended up turning one down. You can go over there and contact the guy and see if he still has it. The 2730 is waterproof, accepts routes, has an mp3 player, comes with the xm antenna and gives you access to xm radio, weather and traffic.

yeah i posted on that thread, never heard back from that guy

my only concerns about teh 2730/2820 was there was no difinitive info i could find about audio output, and the lack of storage for mp3s (something like 600mb???)
tried to see if anyone had hacked them to add more storage so that might be a deal killer for me on those :(

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

my only concerns about teh 2730/2820 was there was no difinitive info i could find about audio output, and the lack of storage for mp3s (something like 600mb???)
tried to see if anyone had hacked them to add more storage so that might be a deal killer for me on those :(
There are some manuals and user guides for the 2730 here, which may help:

http://reviews.gpsfaq.com/about.aspx?detail=streetpilot2730

·
Registered
609 Posts

If you subscribe to the XM, you will find that you rarely use the mp3 player. There is no cracking that I can see to expand the memory. I believe the available memory for songs is actually 800+mb (some have stated a free space of up to 950mb but garmin lists 800+). That works out to roughly 200 songs at 128kbps with room for some cusotm routes and POI. I knwo my last one had a ton of custom POI's and mp3's. If you need more space then you will need to run the zumo where it uses an SD card and will recognize up to 4GB I believe (unless they offered a firmware to increase). I think when I had mine, it maxed out at 4GB. Needless to say thats alot of music, maps and custom POI. For the pric eof a used 2730, its a no brainer IMO if it comes with the antenna. Say you buy a used complete 2730 for 175 bucks. The antenna alone sells for that. So you try it out and see if you like having GPS. If you find it doesnt suit your needs and you have zumo envy, then sell the GPS without the antenna and buy a zumo. The antenna you saved is the same one you need to work with the zumo 550. Note the 665 uses a different antenna but is included. Personally, unless your a die hard advanced GPS user, i think the 2730 will keep you quite happy. This one i have coming will be my third and I have also owned a zumo 550. I dont find the zumo worth the price difference but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i don't need a huge amount of storage, the gps i was using had just over a gig, gig and a half of music on it (just not a bike friendly unit) i might be able to survive with 800 ish mb, i could always recode the files down to less than 128k to save space since audio fidelity isn't really a priority on the bike.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just got my used 2730 tonight. I love this little unit. alot of bang for the buck. I paid 200 bucks and it came with everything it would new with alot of it like the XM antenna never even used. It also came with the garmin motorcycle kit and RAM adaptors. Everything to mount it. You can find them, just keep your eye open. Just make sure it comes with teh XM antenna.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts