StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of us went on a trip to Silver City, NM just recently. Three of us had a GPS hooked up during the trip. Not one of the systems were correct in it's navigation once we got to Silver City. Everything we tried to find using a GPS sent us way off course. I had never had that happen before. Usually the system is dead on. Has anyone had this same problem while traveling around the country?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
When you say that not one of them was correct, how do you mean?....didnt take you to the correct location, or each one had their own, but different route to the location?

I have a TTR2 on my Wee, and my pal has a Zumo 450. Very often they choose different routes, but the destination is the same.

Just curious.

Cheers,

ps: has there been alot of UFO activity in that area lately?.....jk ;)

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
My Garmin 2730 is usually pretty good. But on a trip back in May with a buddy who has a TTR (maybe an R2) we ended up in one town (I think it was Pioche, NV) that had one gas station, the location for which the GPSs agreed. Each of us had a different route to the station (we followed his). And both of us ended up sitting at an intersection staring at the place where there was supposed to be a gas station that didn't exist. Didn't even look like it used to be a gas station. Eventually, we did locate the station a couple blocks away.

On the trip, we also found the problems of not having updated maps. Neither GPS showed gas stations in Hanksville or Green River. Fortunately I had my laptop so we were able to google the locations that really did exist before we left the motel on those days. I've since gotten the map updates and both towns now show appropriate locations.

·
Administrator
13,519 Posts
I suspect that the previous comments regarding older maps are the cause.

Having said that, GPS depends on satellite reception and the signal from these satelites can be changed and/or interferred with.

I also fly ultralight aircraft up here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
Canada</st1:country-region>. We are required to check Notams (Notice to Airmen) in our flight area for messages relating to flying.. areas to avoid, changes in towers, military activity, etc. I think it was the summer of 2006 that there was a Notam saying that GPS signals around the <st1:City w:st="on">Ottawa</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Ontario</st1:State> area (<st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pCanada</ST1:p</st1:country-region>'s capital) would be unreliable and/or none-existent for a given day or two. Evidently the Government was checking the ability to interfere with these signals, to make them incorrect, and to blank them out altogether.

I doubt a similar situation is the cause of your difficulties but I thought it was interesting to keep in mind.

..Tom

·
Registered
365 Posts
Garmin Mapsource and Duck, NC don't mix.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have found that POI's can indeed be off by as much as 4 city blocks. When I find this, I correct it on my TTR2, and next time I connect to the puter, it sends that info to TT.

Some cities (like Calgary) change/add new streets, overpasses, off-ramps so often, it is very difficult to have a map that is going to be spot on everytime.

Generally, you are connected to more than 4 satellites, infact, mine is usually connected to as many as 11.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I've never had any of my 5 GPS show my destination other than where it was supposed to be - as V-Tom says - maps may be one variable although I have a couple of times run into the right civic address and location, but on the wrong street (due to renaming - again related to how recent the maps.).

Discrepancy beween GPS is common - most have option settings for how routes are calculated, vehicle type, Toll roads, no U-turns etc., secondary roads. and if you are set to auto-recaclulate - it's just amazing sometimes where that little gizmo will want you to go, based on it's options settings and map / street acuracy - including details of one-way streets. All of these factors have to be taken into account at times, or else the options changed to reflect what you as the driver are willing to sustain.

Safe rides
Bob

·
Registered
413 Posts
None of them worked! ??
Did you all check your watches to see if there was any unexplained laps in time?
Anyone have a foggy memory of laying on a cold metal table with strange subjects with big eyes and tiny mouths looking down at them?

LOL :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We all had the latest updates on each GPS, there were three in the group. Not one of the systems took us to the location we were looking for. This is a old city and the places we were trying to find were never correct. The attractions, restaurants, gas stations, hotels all wrong. It baffled us how far off they were.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
I don't know when you had this problem, but if it's in an area where there is snow sometimes this time of year and high altitude garmin and others might not route you through it automatically. You can do it by hand tho. I'm in Deadwood, SD right now and my Zumo will not route me through Yellowstone east to west. It will take me around the north side of Yellowstone unless I do it manually. It's set up to do that after a certain date.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes it happened to me in Dillon Colorado.

We spent the night in a Super 8 in Dillon, the GPS took us straight there from Gunnison without a hitch. The next morning we gassed up and picked a Mickey D's on the GPS and headed out. We were directed out of town (south) to a new housing development where it directed us to turn in. We made a few turns inside the development and when the GPS was showing like 500' to location, I knew something was amiss (and yes, I did look up to the sky for the big spaceship that might have been causing this to happen:eek:) cause there were suppose to be 4 or 5 other eateries in that location too. We went back the direction that we came, went past the original start location and went the same distance north and walla, there's the eats. We traveled 2100 miles on that trip and never had any other GPS brain farts, guess ya cant bitch to much about that, huh?

Randy.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Travelling east to west across NH last year my garmin GPS kept switching maps back and forth for about 10 min. and on the map I was going in circles even though I was following a relatively straight road. I think map seams can sometimes mess things up.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Question

When the GPS is misleading you, does it show a correct latitude/longitude (do all the units show the same location)? If so, then the maps are at fault. If not, then something is wrong with the basic GPS. Note that the satellites must be regularly updated with the correct Earth time (as we live in a gravity 'well', time passes slightly slower here (relativity)) and the location process requires extremely precise time comparisons. The military can also reinstitute the original 'dither' that provided for considerably less precise locating, or throw them off entirely. Having numerous satellites acquired improves accuracy when signals are correct, but confuses the location when the signals have been tampered with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts