StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
power to gps

I have had a 2017 650 XT for three days and managed two laps of the Old Road to wear off the tyre tits. But the manual states that the 12V power socket on the dashboard should only be used to charge cellphones. How do I power a Zumo GPS - It used to be wired directly to the battery on my (sold) 1200GS. Ubique.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have had a 2017 650 XT for three days and have managed two laps of the Old Road to wear the tits off the tyres. First question of many - the manual states the 12V socket on the dash must only be used to power mobile phones. How do I power my Zumo which used to be directly hooked to the battery on my (now sold) 1200GS and which works perfectly plugged into the phone socket of my four-wheeler? Ubique.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Why not just plug it into the 12V socket. I have powered Tomtoms and various garmin units from the 12V socket. Should not be an issue especially since it works with your 4 wheeler.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
It's not limited to cell phones, but it is limited to the amount of current you can draw through the outlet. How many amps does a Zumo use when it's powered up? If it's lower than the capacity of the outlet, then you can plug in your Zumo. The outlet is 12 volts, if it's a standard cigarette lighter style outlet; if I had to guess, I'd say it has a 3 amp capacity, but I could be wrong about that.

There are different ways of running power to your Zumo, depending on where you want to mount it. You can run a power cable off the battery (with an inline fuse for the wiring) terminating in a handlebar mounted outlet that's rated for the amperage needed for your Zumo. The handlebar outlet works good if you're going to mount the Zumo on the bars. Where were you planning on mounting it?

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
First question of many - the manual states the 12V socket on the dash must only be used to power mobile phones. How do I power my Zumo which used to be directly hooked to the battery on my (now sold) 1200GS and which works perfectly plugged into the phone socket of my four-wheeler? Ubique.
I can only presume that the intention is to inform you that the socket should only be used for low draw items, not things like heated grips and gloves.
Phones and GPS's are low draw items. Plug it in.

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Threads merged, also not a Australia-NZ specific question. Please don't post the same question in multiple areas.

·
Super Moderator
13,095 Posts
I have had a 2017 650 XT for three days and managed two laps of the Old Road to wear off the tyre tits. But the manual states that the 12V power socket on the dashboard should only be used to charge cellphones. How do I power a Zumo GPS - It used to be wired directly to the battery on my (sold) 1200GS. Ubique.
You are better off running the (fused) power line directly to the battery or from a Fusebox. The Zumo isn't designed to be powdered from a cigarette lighter plug.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
You are better off running the (fused) power line directly to the battery or from a Fusebox. The Zumo isn't designed to be powdered from a cigarette lighter plug.

..Tom
Garmin sells a cigarette plug powering device for Zumos.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/pn/010-11838-00#devices
Garmin 12 volt adapter for StreetPilot c500 and nuvi series (010-10747-03) - GPSCentral.ca

What harm does it do to use one if it is not designed as such? I have seen many Zumo units run off of cigarette plugs because they are moved from vehicle to vehicle and, to my knowledge, the failure rate is no different than those run on dedicated hook ups.

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
Since you're starting fresh and may want to add more electronic accessories later on like I did you might want to think about an auxiliary fuse box like many of us have installed. Then additions become a piece of cake. A lot of us use the Eastern Beaver PC-8. An eight circuit unit with both switched and unswitched circuits. It's pretty easy to install and use. Then you can add fuses in the size needed for any circuit you need. There is lots of help on installing it on threads in the forum. I had one on my 650 and then moved it to my 1000 with a slight modification. I now have every circuit filled. :)

Jim has them customized for V-Strom's and some other bikes. He is in Japan. He has other electronic accessories you might be interested in. Be sure to select the 650 one for your year of bike if interested. He responds to emails on questions. My Zumo power runs back to a PC-8 fuse box circuit.

I have a lot of powered stuff although most is low power just charging things.
1. 2 phones (one is for radar detector)
2. Radar detector
3. 2 sets aux LED lights
4. 2 cameras (front and rear)
5. additional USB outlet

I also have the Eastern Beaver taillight adapter powering the top case LED AdMore tail lights in my Givi Top Case. Depending on where you live you may need that heated glove socket for heated gloves.

https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/vstrom.html

·
Super Moderator
13,095 Posts
Garmin sells a cigarette plug powering device for Zumos.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/pn/010-11838-00#devices
Garmin 12 volt adapter for StreetPilot c500 and nuvi series (010-10747-03) - GPSCentral.ca

What harm does it do to use one if it is not designed as such? I have seen many Zumo units run off of cigarette plugs because they are moved from vehicle to vehicle and, to my knowledge, the failure rate is no different than those run on dedicated hook ups.
I don't think it does any harm, it just might not work as well. There have been many people commenting on things not staying connected when using the cigarette lighter plug plus the other issue of the power adapter not likely being weatherproof.

When on vacation twice I have rented bikes (Honda St1300 and Harley Road King.) In both cases it took between 5 and 10 minutes to connect the GPS power cable to the batteries so I could use my GPS. If I was regularity swapping bikes I'd just wire in another mount on the other bike(s.)

..Tom

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't think it does any harm, it just might not work as well. There have been many people commenting on things not staying connected when using the cigarette lighter plug plus the other issue of the power adapter not likely being weatherproof.

When on vacation twice I have rented bikes (Honda St1300 and Harley Road King.) In both cases it took between 5 and 10 minutes to connect the GPS power cable to the batteries so I could use my GPS. If I was regularity swapping bikes I'd just wire in another mount on the other bike(s.)

..Tom
I use an old Garmin plugged in with a cigarette lighter plug and it is a PITA. Normal motorcycle bumps and vibration cause it to come loose constantly. I replaced the socket 4 or 5 times trying to find one where it wouldn't pop loose, but the only thing I have found that keeps it seated is to wrap a rubber band around the plug before inserting into the socket to keep it tightly seated by friction.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hardwired to the battery frees up the power outlet for charging the phone and camera. I also like the GPS to stay on at stops so that I can track my total stop time and trip total on the long quick rides.

·
Registered
258 Posts
In addition to what speedy seven said about it being a pita, I prefer having it hard wired because you don't have to restart it every time you turn the key off-gas stops, trains, roadwork etc.

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
My Zumo goes back on with the key and remembers where it was.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
So does my Chinese cheapy Fodsports.
On key off the pop-up menu defaults to "Sleep" but will allow you to select "Off" if you choose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts