StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

Hope I posted in the right spot. Question I have a Nuvi 500 wired and was wondering how do you protect the end of the plug when not in use? I have my 500 mounted to the handle bar with a RAM mount. My plug is a direct connect to the battery (fuse in line). I only put my GPS on when running longer rides, so half the time the plug is just hanging there.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
944 Posts
Fat rubber band maybe?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I just tuck mine up under somthing nearby to keep it from flopping around in the wind and don't worry about it. After 3 years no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. My 2720 had a plastic cover for the plug when not in use, so I was a little concerned about this one. It is currently tie-wrapped and just flopping in the wind.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had a hard-wired plug on my bike for the two yeras that I've had the bike. When the GPS is not in the mount, it just is loose. Periodically (a couple times a year, I put some dielectric grease in tthe plug.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I always make a point to save those little thread guards that come enclosed in many packages. They are normally red or black rubber/vinyl and come in various sizes. I think they are just dipped at the manufacting place,but slide off easy, they slide over the threads and encase the end of a bolt or all thread, and come in many sizes. I find many uses for them and have one for my alternating headlight sensor that fits like a glove, so I can deactivate if needed.
Check the local hardware store, and look around at some of the items in the hardware section, you may find one attached to something...cheap.

If ya had too, you could use a chunk of rubber hose or tygon tubing,stick a wooden dowel (I would whittle oak branch myself)in the end, or a small bolt,various tygon tubing is available at lowes and home depot.Leave it in your tank bag when not in use.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My GPS has a Mini-USB plug so I went to the hardware store and found a vinyl cap that fits a #10 machine screw/bolt. Tight fit but for, I believe 15 cents, does cover the actual metal tip. If you take the cable you may find an even larger one that will cover the entire end of the connector. Auto parts stores generally also sell the same thing in kits to plug off vacuum ports but often in kits. If in doubt ask for a "vinyl Screw Thread Protector Cover". Mine were in those bin things that hold the "specialty" items close to the nuts and bolts.

Rick

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
There's a notch on the right half of the bracket that the mini usb plugs into when the gps is not installed. Though it does tend to pop out on occasion. Nothing a rubber band couldn't fix.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I found weather resistant vinyl caps at R-Shack. To keep the cable from flopping around in the wind I found at Home dee-Pot 6 inch velcro "belts" that look good and do the job to hold it to the bars. Looks good enough to call it a farkle not a schmekle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts