StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a nice secure mount for using my Garmin Nuvi or Iphone 11 mounted to the cross bar now standard on the latest 1050?

Nuvi measures ~ 3 3/4 x 6 1/2" and phone is ~ 3 x 6" Ready to spring but confused at options. Don't want to be dropping on highway, or calling 911 by pushing buttons...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use RAM mount for my phone. Popular choice with known downsides (rubber slips off). But their ball-lock system is proven in many other hold-stuff applications.

The other favorite go-to seems to be Rokform Roklock stuff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use RAM mount for my phone. Popular choice with known downsides (rubber slips off). But their ball-lock system is proven in many other hold-stuff applications.

The other favorite go-to seems to be Rokform Roklock stuff.
Thanks, sounds like the RAM connects to the Strom OK

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks, sounds like the RAM connects to the Strom OK
Yup. Simple handlebar clamp on mine. Plenty of other options, but the default works fine.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
A bit of caution regarding the Ram Xgrip.... make sure you use the rubber safety holder that slips over the 4 corners of the phone or you stand a good chance of the phone coming out. DAMHIKT. Also, you should take off the rubber ends of the X and glue the or they will come off as well.
After a phone coming out of the X-grip, I went to one of these. Much more secure and you can still use the Ram ball mount and arm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A bit of caution regarding the Ram Xgrip.... make sure you use the rubber safety holder that slips over the 4 corners of the phone or you stand a good chance of the phone coming out. DAMHIKT. Also, you should take off the rubber ends of the X and glue the or they will come off as well.
After a phone coming out of the X-grip, I went to one of these. Much more secure and you can still use the Ram ball mount and arm.
Thanks, I think this is a little different. Can't wait to see how secure it is RAM® Quick-Grip™ XL Phone Mount with Handlebar U-Bolt Base

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've not had good results with the X-grip. The expansion joints on the concrete highways making my phones vibrate in the mount more than I want. The rubber securing bands broke on mine after a few months as well, and I ended up going back to my old RAM Quick-Grip for awhile.

In the end, I tried out the Quad Lock stuff when they were running a sale last Autumn, and I found I vastly prefer the Quad Lock with vibration damping attachment. The Quad Lock attachment to the 7/8" crossbar ending up attaching to the cross bar better than the RAM balls that I use for my GPS and GoPro cam.

If you're inclined to look into this but already heavily invested in RAM stuff like I am, it's worth talking with the Quad Lock folks to see if the Quad Lock RAM Ball mount will work with the vibration dampener attachment and/or wireless charging unit also. I mostly use the Quad Lock RAM Ball in my cars as the RAM Suction Cup mount can more easily be moved between vehicles than QL's own suction mount, and so that combination is kind of moot for me.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I haven't had great luck with spring-loaded options. Nothing catastrophic, fortunately, but a couple close calls.

I use a Cliff-Top vise-style holder. I wouldn't want to insert and remove a phone over and over and over again, though -- the vise is fiddly. But for my purposes, it works great: I hard-mounted my GPS (Kyocera Duraforce XD, 6.57" x 3.40" x 0.55" in) by replacing the mount and RAM arm knobs with nylock nuts. Never have to insert / remove, now!

If someone wants to start taking tools to the bike to remove stuff, well...there's not much I can do about it.

·
Vendor
5,991 Posts
The slickest thing I have ever seen is something we don't sell. @NateHarris has one on his DL1050. It's a Quadlock system that includes a charger in the mount. So you can charge while in use without a loose charging cable flapping about and loosing it's connection to the charging port. A bit more money than the Ram X-grip we sell, but worth checking out IMO.

I think I'll get one before my next cross country trip since I use my phone instead of a GPS.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
The slickest thing I have ever seen is something we don't sell. @NateHarris has one on his DL1050. It's a Quadlock system that includes a charger in the mount. So you can charge while in use without a loose charging cable flapping about and loosing it's connection to the charging port. A bit more money than the Ram X-grip we sell, but worth checking out IMO.

I think I'll get one before my next cross country trip since I use my phone instead of a GPS.
This is the charger and the you'll get whatever base you want to use.

Weatherproof Wireless Charging Head - Quad Lock® USA - Official Store (quadlockcase.com)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I use a RAM ball with a Rokform mount. It's very similar to the Quadlock (my buddy has one of those) and works very well. Check out www.rokform.com

Cheers!
K

·
Registered
'21 1050XT
181 Posts
I use the Quadlock system.

What you can see in the photo is the wireless charging adapter. Behind it is the vibration dampener which is bolted to the clamp around the accessory bar.

The Garmin is attached to a RAM mount that replaces one of the handlebar mount bolts.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

1 - 14 of 14 Posts